Brief Overview of the Hogwarts Houses

Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry is divided into four houses. They are Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Huffllepuff, and Gryffindor. Each named after its founders, Salazar Slytherin, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff, Godric Gryffindor. Each house serves as the living and learning communities for the students. Individual my takes for each house will come soon they will have deeper analysis's of each house.

Brief overview of the Hogwarts houses.

To begin, Slytherin is the house of the cunning and ambitious. Slytherins know what they want and will not let anything stop them. If this house had a motto it would probably be, I don't want to be good I want to be the best. They are not very trusting at all and tend to have few, but close friends. Because they are not trusting, they will be extremely hesitant in helping strangers. However they will do anything for their close friends or family. They are definitely not evil, they are just very ambitious.

Ravenclaw is the house of the wise. You don't have to be smart to be in Ravenclaw, you just have to have a deep love of learning and prize intelligence far above anything. They enjoy philosophical and intelligent conversations. People in Ravenclaw tend to be unique, eccentric, and have unique ways of solving problems. They tend to be like an absent minded professor. However they are known to be very competitive for top grades of the house. Even going so far to stab friends and housemates in the back.

The Hufflepuff house has a stereotype that it has all the people that dont fit in anywhere else. But the hufflepuff house has standards. Hufflepuffs are by nature, loyal, patient, love people, obsessed with equality, and very good at taking care of plants. They are probably the most sociable house since they love people. The Hufflepuff dorms are right to the kitchens because they love food. They are the only people more loyal than gryffindors they will stand by their loved ones to the bitter end. If they had to comfort a friend, they would likely cook them an extremely filling meal.

The last house is Gryffindor. Gryffindors have nerve, are impulsive, extremely loyal, and are brave. Anybody can be brave given the circumstances but what separates Gryffindor from the other houses is that they would do anything to help people, even if it's a total stranger or someone they find to be revolting. They have bold ways of achieving their means to the point where it may be recklessness. They tend to be so convinced they are doing what right for someone else, they may remain blind to the feelings of others.

As a last note, in the Harry Potter series, Gryffindor is idolized far above the other houses because it's written from Harry's point of view, so Gryffindor gets more press. It frustrates me to no end that so many people want to be in Gryffindor when other houses would be a better fit. Also it's important to remember that Gryffindor is not the "good house." We have evil Gryffindors like Peter Pettigrew. Gryffindor is not superior to the other houses. Gryffindors have respect for other people and we must remember that.

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

• Yes I am definitely a Hufflepuff!!! If I had wizard powers I would use. it all for. food

• This overview has inspired me to do a similar one about a trend on DeviantArt. I just need to find an appropriate picture.

• Hmmm... according to the details, I'd be Ravenclaw+Slytherin OR maybe an outcast.

• Slytherin are evils! Tom Riddle was the evil!

• i still remember how me and my friends used to laugh at helga's quote "i'll teach the rest of them" lmao

• The school was named after the first principal, she got genital warts so nasty no spell could cure them!

I won't say how because it's too dirty, but it involves a hog of all things!

• Fun fact: when it comes to hogs, their tails aren't the only thing shaped like a corckscrew. oink oink OINK

• I took the test on Pottermore twice, first said I was a Ravenclaw, then the second time I took it I was a Hufflepuff. Which to me makes sense since I like talking about interesting topics with numerous friends. So I guess I'm a Ravenpuff.

• Great Take, Ravenclaw is my favorite Hogwarts house :D

• hmm how does one find out what house they belong in? :)

• years ago i answered some questionnaire and i was sorted to ravenclaw. irked me cuz there was littlel mention of ravenclaw (and hufflepuff) in the first book, the only one i've read.

• I took the test and apparently I'm a Hufflepuff. Which is ironic because I hate badgers :p
    On the other hand, I love plants and I manage the school greenhouse, so the test was quite spot on there.
    Then again, I wouldn't describe myself as social or a people person, but yesterday one of my friends called me a "gentle giant".
    So really, it's mostly right, except for a few things :D

• When I joined pottermore i was put into Hufflepuff. i was like "oh hell no" did the test again and was put in Gryffindor xD

• Hufflepuff is a cool house which other house can sneak in and out of the kitchens so easily? Once fantastic beasts and where to find them comes out people will feel the Hufflepuff pride Gryffindor is just idolized we aren't that great. We can be very reckless.

• Definitely. I would've loved one of the main characters to be a Hufflepuff

• yeah me too. Seamus Finnigan could've been in Hufflepuff for example. i know he's not a main character, but we did see him often so he might as well have been in Hufflepuff, to make that house seem a bit more.. alive lol

• If I were sent to Hogwarts, I'd probably be the only one sorted into gryffindor while asking the sorting hat to put me in Slytherin.

• Thankfully the sorting hat takes your wishes into consideration!

• Gryffindor girls are easy...

What Girls Said 9

• I've always been either a Gryffindor or Hufflepuff. Officially I'm in Gryffindor since that's the house I was sorted in on Pottermore the first time around. But on the second try on another account (out of curiosity) I got into Hufflepuff. :P The same has happened on other quizzes as well. But all in all I consider myself to be a part of Gryffindor, moreso than Hufflepuff.
    It irks me as well that people are naturally drawn to Gryffindor just because of Harry's POV and because of some strange notion that the other houses are subpar. That Hufflepuff is the loser hippie house, that Ravenclaw is full of nerds and that everyone in Slytherin is evil. That's just silly haha.

• No just no lol

• I'm always usually Hufflepuff or Gryffindor when it comes to sorting quizzes. Pottermore put my in Gryffindor, but I think I am more Hufflepuff. I have social anxiety, so I am not brave.

• Oww, I love Hogwarts <3

• I took the test and was in Ravenclaw. Then I took the test again after some time and got Gryffindor.

• ravenclaw fits me best except im not THAT competitive

• When I joined Pottermore I ended up in Slytherin. I was not happy about that, but I was also too lazy to change anything. So I guess I'm Slytherin for life. xD

• Cool Mytake, very interesting :D

• I am proud to be a Griffindor.