6 Must-Visit Haunted Places in My Home State: Nevada

Haunted places in my state, Nevada

1. Goldfield Hotel-Goldfield, Esmeralda County, Nevada

The hotel was owned by a multimillionaire, George Wingfield, who made his money by giving rooms to miners during the gold rush. It's rumored to be extremely haunted mostly by a pregnant woman who claimed George Wingfield was her child's father; for a while he gave her money and she kept quiet.

However, when she couldn't hide the pregnancy, it is said that he chained her to a radiator and gave her food and water until the baby was born. Some people say she died in childbirth, others say Wingfield murdered her.

The hotel is also rumored to be haunted by two people who killed themselves, and George Wingfield himself reportedly makes his presence known by the smell of cigar smoke or cigar ashes. As well as another ghost who is said to attack people with a knife as they enter the dining room, even though he has never harmed anyone. Many psychics claim it's a vortex to hell.

2. Mackay Mansion-Virginia City, Nevada

I have been here and I saw my niece, four at the time, wave to someone no one else could see. Built in 1860, the owner made his fortune from the Comstock Lode, which was the first major discovery of silver in the U.S. Johnny Depp stayed there and one of the ghosts, a small girl, gave him a visit. She has been heard playing upstairs and another ghost, a maid, has been running up and down stairs completing her endless list of chores. A former colonel sits in the kitchen and another woman, perhaps a former owner, sits in her favorite spot in the house.

3. The Governors Mansion- Carson City, Nevada

Finished in 1908, this has had to be renovated to meet current building codes and it's said to be haunted by a girl and woman. Supposedly they are the First Lady and her daughter. And it's also haunted by a former servant of the house. Nothing too serious, just random chills, mostly by the grandfather clock, doors opening by themselves, and sounds of footsteps going up the stairs. And they are willing to share the house with our current Governor and his family.

4. Gold Hill Hotel and Saloon- Virgina City, Nevada

It's said to be haunted by a miner, who died in a fire just behind the hotel. He makes himself known by a strong odor of tobacco and by playing jokes on customers. Then there's a female named Rosie. She makes herself known by the strong smell of roses in her favorite room. Also by children playing jokes on customers and stealing cookies.

5. Pipers Opera House Virginia City, Nevada

It's said to be haunted two ghosts, a man and a woman. The woman is friendly, enjoys watching performances, particularly children's performances, and sings and dances to the music. However, the man is said to smoke and scowl at performances and always sits on the side balcony.

6. Bowers Mansion- New Washoe City, Nevada

Supposedly, this is haunted by the woman who owned it. When the owners finished building the mansion, they traveled to Europe to furnish it. However when they got back, her husband's health declined and he died a 12 years later; their adopted daughter died as well. The owner conducted multiple seances in an attempt to contact them but nothing ever worked and she went crazy and died, penniless.

It is said that on the front porch, the temperature has fluctuated from 42 degrees to 25 in a matter of minutes. Sightings of the owners daughter playing in her room have been seen as well as the husband on the front porch.

Ginnyweasley97 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 8

• Wendover, NV is pretty creppy in general too lol

• Ooh very spooky! Kinda looks like what you would see on the set of Bonanza from years ago or a ghost town. Very interesting indeed.

• I've encountered ghosts and ever since I've always loved reading about this stuff.
    Good take

• I've always wondered if Las Vegas had any weird or effed up stories to tell...

• Interesting Take, Nevada is so fascinating :D

• Ok, i used to love abandoned places, breaking and entering places i was not supposed to with some friends, just for the adventure.
    Last time, i broke into an old abandoned factory in the outskirts of Sao Paulo, never again. We started going downstairs, and almost got lost into a huge basement underground it. It was like half a mile and had lots of rooms. We got lost walking in circles into that pitch black, hearing noises and we shat bricks constantly, we even cosidered calling the police to help us LOL. We got out of it eventualy. We had that look at eachothers faces when we got out, like, "dude, never again" it was a cool time anyways

• Really a nice take.
    Didn't knew Nevada was that spooky.

• Virginia city is one of the coolest places ever. And we have more ghost towns than people that are living.

• That's spooky.
      I see 'THE HAUNTING" episodes. But I don't remember if they ever ran a story on the above haunted sites.

• Can someone do one of these for Colorado, there's nothing to fucking do around here.

What Girls Said 4

• Amazing how anywhere with any history at all is haunted stateside but around the world only various ancient castles etc have a ghost, not all... There are 6 ancient castles within a 10 mile radius now and only 1 has any rumour of a ghost and this is skeptical at best... I am fairly sure a building over 1000 years old with dungeons etc would have more to say than a house of 200 years old...

• Many things go unspoken or unpublished. :)

• @Isaif370 lol not on the places I am nearby, they all have books about them.

Don't get me wrong I believe in the supernatural as I have had my own experiences (My old house was very old and it had a lot of bad things happen inside it) but I do believe a lot of places have commercialized this stuff too much to a point of them being nothing more than hoaxes...

• what about Virginia? lol It cus I live in VA!

• Guess Virginia City is the place to stay away from if you are afraid of ghosts, haha.

• Oh man, I've been to a lot of these places but as a kid so they weren't scary. I think the scariest thing about Bower's Mansion was the wasp sting I got once XD

Nevada has so many good places like these though. Virginia City seems to attract all sorts of things.