Fun Facts About the States

Alabama

In Enterprise Alabama there is a monument to the Boll Weevil. It is the only monument in the world dedicated to a pest.

Alaska

Alaska has the lowest population density of any state with less than two people per square mile.

Arizona

The Colt Single Action Army Revolver is the State Firearm of Arizona (Also Waffles Favorite Gun) Arizona is one of six states with an official firearm.

Arkansas

Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas is not only the only place in the U.S where you can find diamonds. It is open to the public and over 600 diamonds are found each year. Visitors are allowed to keep whatever gem they find regardless of value.

California

One out of every eight Americans lives in California.
Colorado

Colorado, with the highest mean elevation of any state as well as the highest low point, is considered to be the "highest state".

Connecticut

The first automobile law was passed by the state of CT in 1901. The speed limit was set at 12 miles per hour.

Delaware

The First Scheduled Railroad in the U.S started in New Castle Delaware in 1831

Florida

South Florida is the only place in the world where both Alligators and Crocodiles live in the wild.

Georgia

Two people from Georgia have won the Nobel Peace Prize, Jimmy Carter and Martin Luther King Junior.
Hawaii

The only former royal palace in the United States is Iolani Palace in Hawaii (I read in a book about true ghost stories that its also haunted)

Idaho

Bruneau Dunes State Park contains North America's tallest single structured sand dune. It stands 470 feet high.

Illinois

The worlds first skyscraper was built in Chicago Illinois in 1885 (Also I was born in Illinois)

Indiana

Indiana's shoreline with Lake Michigan is only 40 miles long, but Indiana is still considered a Great Lakes State.

Iowa

Cornell College is the only school in the nation to have its entire campus listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Kansas

The first woman mayor in the United States was Susan Madora Salter. She was elected to office in Argonia in 1887.

Kentucky

Frederick Vinson who was born in Louisa is the only Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court known to be born in jail.

Louisiana

Jazz originated in New Orleans Louisiana.

Maine

Maine has the largest blueberry crop in the entire country. (I've been to the Maine Blueberry festival several times.)

Maryland

The First Dental School in the U.S opened in the University of Maryland

Massachusetts

Boston Common is the first public park in the U.S

Michigan

The Mountain Lion was listed as extirpated from the state by the DNR however the people of the North Peninsula always insisted that they stilled lived there. It has recently been confirmed that the locals were in fact correct and that they still live there.

Minnesota

The climate-controlled Metrodome is the only facility in the country to host a Super Bowl, a World Series and a NCAA Final Four Basketball Championship.

Missouri

The worlds first ice cream cone was invented in Saint Louis Missouri during the Saint Louis Worlds Fair of 1904.

Montana

The average square mile of land contains 1.4 elk, 1.4 pronghorn antelope, and 3.3 deer.

Nebraska

Nebraska is the only state with a unicameral or one house legislature.

Nevada

The Las Vegas Strip is actually not located in Las Vegas but rather just outside of it in Paradise Nevada.

New Hampshire

The first free public library in the United States was established at Peterborough in 1833.

New Jersey

Modern paleontology, the science of studying dinosaur fossils, began in 1858 with the discovery of the first nearly complete skeleton of a dinosaur in Haddonfield, New Jersey. The Hadrosaurus is the official New Jersey state dinosaur.

New Mexico

Taos Pueblo in New Mexico is the oldest continuously inhabited Community in the United States and has been inhabited for over a thousand years.

New York

New York City in New York State is the most populated city in the United States with over eight million people.

North Carolina

Krispy Kreme Doughnut was founded in Winston-Salem.

North Dakota

The Lewis and Clark Expedition encountered their first Grizzly Bear in North Dakota.

Ohio

Neil Armstrong, the first person to walk on the moon was from Ohio.

Oklahoma

Oklahoma is the only state that produces iodine.

Oregon

Oregon has more ghost towns than any other state

Pennsylvania

The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philadelphia in 1776.

Rhode Island

Rhode Island is the smallest state in the Country

South Carolina

The State Amphibian of South Carolina is the Salamander

South Dakota

The most complete T-Rex Skeleton was found in South Dakota

Tennessee

Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey is ironically produced in a dry county in Tennessee.

Texas

More species of bat live in Texas than any other state.

Utah

Because of the state's inland location Utah's snow is unusually dry. Earning it the reputation of having the world's greatest powder. 14 Alpine ski resorts operate in Utah.

Vermont

Montpelier, Vermont is the only U.S. state capital without a McDonalds.

Virginia

Eight United States Presidents were born in Virginia: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, William Harrison, John Tyler, Zachary Taylor, and Woodrow Wilson.

Washington State

The world's first soft-serve ice cream machine was located in an Olympia Dairy Queen.

West Virginia

West Virginia was the only state to have around an equal number of both Union and Confederate volunteers during the Civil War.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin produces more milk than any other state.

Wyoming

Wyoming has the lowest population of all 50 United States.

#AmericaFuckYeah

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• Yeah! My state founded this bitch. Woo!

• You picked the lamest heckin fact for Michigan tf

• I lived in Michigan for three years. My brother was born there.
      I did not choose the Lamest fact.
      Mountain Lions are my Favorite animal. If anything I highlighted one of my favorite things about it. The dense wilderness that can be found in it

• I was going to talk about the bloodless toledo war as well but that didn't fit.
      Boy you guys lucked out on losing toledo and gaining the upper penisula.
      Toledo is kind of a hole

• I just like the worldplay

• wooooo all 8 prez was born here woooooo

• New yorks "fun fact" is fuxking obvious. I wanted something interesting, I've lived in New York all my life.

• Of course Florida... I won't be surprised if I see one of these bad boys walking down the street one day:
    pixabay.com/.../alligator-948660_960_720.jpg

• GREAT take... really interesting, direct and informative.
    One of few I enjoyed reading :)

• Bonus fact: the United States of America is really "South Canada". The state of Alaska has the distinction of being called "Canada A Bit To The Left."

• Now your just trying to be annoying again :)

• No, they use you guys and the Australians at places like the Somme and galipolli because to the military commanders British lives are somehow more valueable

• And you have an eagle and a donut shoved up your ass.

• There is no Arizona

• Yes there is, its right above the picture of the Colt Peacemaker

• 🎶There is no... Arizonaaaaa... no painted desert, no Sedona. If there was... a Grand Canyon... she could fill it up with the lies he's told her...🎶

Don't you know by now I have this tendency to respond to things with song lyrics... its a flaw...😜

• wyoming: the state i can't spell

• I wanna go to all the States someday! So far only been to Texas and Louisiana. Great take, some really fascinating facts in here.

• Its hard to go to all the states, my dads fifty one and was stationed all around the country but he is still missing four of them, one of the dakotas, minnesota, Alaska and Hawaii

• Not impossible, just extra hard if you live someone else, the country is bigger than most of Europe

• I know. Well I've been to a fair few places in the world so maybe some day

What Guys Said 7

• Interesting trivia. :)

That mountain lion is cool. I saw one in the wild in California. I was up in the mountains in a semi-remote areas. The cat crossed the road in front of me, maybe a hundred yards ahead. I've spent a lot of time outdoors, but that's the only wild cat I've seen.

"Ohio

Neil Armstrong, the first person to walk on the moon was from Ohio."

John Glenn who was the first American to orbit the earth is from Ohio.

The Wright brothers who were the fist to fly a plane were from Ohio.

So first in flight, first in orbit, and first on the moon were all from Ohio.

• Lmao some of these r so lame

My state invented ice cream cone. Meanwhile the State Amphibian of South Carolina is the salamander xD

• I knew that fact about Virginia

• http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

You people have too much crime

• " 318,857,056 2,971.8"
      With a population of over three hundred million thats not actually a lot

• Yea
      But you know that using these statistics , comparing them with terrorist victims statistics, taking in consideration number of Muslims in the USA
      It turns out that Muslims are twice as peaceful

• Yea things are fucked up in Egypt
      BUT when Christian kill someone here
      We don't call all Christians killers

• I think the croc and the gator are flirting with each other in that pic.

• Way to fuck over south Carolina. What did they do to you? Also, why'd ya put Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia on this list? And where's Puerto Rico, the virgin islands, Guam and American Samoa? Those are our 47th-50th states right there 😁

• Just correct the south carolina thing

• Yes, I know that they are technically commonwealths but there is no real difference

• To me there is! Get those moochers outta here! Penn state? Penn commonwealth! Doesn't roll off the tongue as well, but I think we can make it work!

• Another fact about NC.

It is home to the best football team in the world.