What's So Unrealistic About the Hot Model Look?

Lately you hear a lot of girls say "that's not a realistic body" if they see a picture of a fit woman. I watch videos of girls looking at Victoria secret model's pictures and say "that's not a real body" or "guys should never expect a girl to look like that." And whenever someone tries to argue with them they say thing like "you're trying too hard or looking for attention."

Why is it so hard to believe a girl to look like this? And it's not just skinny people, but anyone who resembles a beauty they can't or don't know how to achieve. I don't look like this because I'm lazy and don't care enough to try. There is not average body because most don't have the exact same body. Not all girls do this, but a lot do and think it's fine.

A lot of girls look like this, and that's fine because we're all beautiful. But think if you don't it's ok to call others unreal. Guys get the same kind of thing but not as bad as girls. If a fit guy wants a fit girlfriend and seen as shallow for having standards by a girl who can't meet those standards so he has so lower them. Does that really seem right? We all have something wrong with us whether it's from uneven boobs, saggy butt, crooked teeth, or our attitudes, so why do we take the time to downplay others to boost ourselves? Because believe it or not we can meet those "unrealistic expectations."

Just something I had on my mind.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 34

• As always, balance is everything. It's dangerous to start spreading the belief that women should look a certain way, which thereby applies pressure on every young woman on the planet and that pressure can result in a series of crippling issues. This whole "thigh gap" insanity is just one example.

On the other hand, if you go too far in the other direction, you're back to the "oh, everything is okay" crap that has been systematically decimating our society for years. Yeah, a woman can look good if she takes care of herself. Calling it "unrealistic" is just a lazy dodge; you get to accuse other people of being narrow-minded while you sit around and do nothing.

There's a very big gulf between anorexia and looking at a regular ol' healthy woman and screaming about how it's "unrealistic." :)

• Yeah, I agree with you on the thinking every should be this way and everything else you said

• It's very realistic lol. People just like to bring everyone else down to their level. They see an amazing beautiful body and instead of saying wow I should put in hard work so I can maybe look like that... they resort to "that makes me feel insecure... I don't like that" It's quite pathetic. All of these "normal" model advocacy movements are ridiculous. Their version of 'normal' is slightly overweight and terrible proportions. Only the elite should be models..

• Completely agree. Getting a great body takes years and years of hard training, but people expect to get it overnight and if they don't, they try to take those who've put in the work down to their level so they can feel better. Sure, it's definitely harder work to have an amazing body for some, but certainly not impossible.

• "People just like to bring everyone else down to their level."
      Women can be the most vile creatures to each other.

• Because the majority of people are not born into the "pretty people" club. Sure it is easy for those in that catagory to think "why is that hard to believe". The fact is that most of us have realistic expectations. Why the magazines of the world play to those others I don't know. The fact is I would not bother with the "super hot model" woman even if I could get one. More times then not, she is going to be a high maintenance, shallow person. She will have every "pretty person" male going after her and she will always want the latest and greatest. You want the most "real" woman? pick the 3rd best looking at the table. Based on how the women think, not the man. Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have had mad crushes on women that I thought were model beautiful, where friends thought she was ugly even. Same with my idea of some of the women they wanted. I like a woman with meat on her bones, not some super skinny woman. Someone that isn't going to be on a constant diet, or worry about what other people think.

• My title was changed, so most people think I'm talking about models. I don't expect everyone to look good, or fit. Just why is it so hard to believe people can look that way.

• Why do men always say that the "super hot model" women are high maintenance and shallow? What is the reasoning for this?

• @frozenhorizon it has been proven by studies time and again that the "pretty people" of the world have a much easier life then the rest of us regular folk. Women take that to a whole other level. The model or super gorgeous women have everything handed to them. they get any guy they want. They have most of the rest of the guys gawking at them ready to do whatever they desire. They are high maintenance, stuck up Cu**'s plain and simple.

• I agree it's not unrealistic to be in shape or fit. Trying to have that low body fat percentage isn't really realistic when trying to consciously restrict calories (using willpower) when eating a typical fast food and pizza majority diet while having certain genes (especially while having an endomorph body). The foods taste is hard to resist and it's not filling per calorie eaten vs the non pizza and burger, etc diet. Certain people can eat pretty much what they want and look that way until a certain point though.

Of course a body like that is probably fairly possible for most people with certain diets and lifestyle. There are diets a person can eat as much as they want of certain foods which I think it's realistically very possible.

• Oh it's not "unrealistic", those model girls have that body too (although that doesn't take photoshop into account).

My issue with Victoria Secret is that they're so thin that there's nothing attractive about their body type. They're literally as unappealing as they can get. Although the last picture on your take shows a "too overweight" and a "too skinny" woman, which is funny because the balanced setup inbetween tends to be ignored.

• "The unrealistic look" does not truly exist. And other side it does exit.

Most of my live I have been in entertainment. like music, video and photoshoots. So I know these "unrealistic" models. The models that you see don't look like that in real life. Some of them are actually called ugly in real life. I know girls that do photoshoots all over the world for big magazines. They are all called ugly or unattractive. Another friend of mine does photoshoot for all major fashion magazines. The girl she shoots look terribly average in real life. But if I show people the pictures they say they look "unrealistically beautiful".

I have had shoots with girls that look average but when picture are taken every woman wants to look like them. It mostly shooting them from a right angle, photoshop, being able to look natural in front of the camera.

• I'm not talking about models, my title was changed. I'm talking about fit people or those who are born certain ways

• No body type is unrealistic all body types are achievable. Just like lots of girls like my body they started making rumors saying I had butt implants and liposuction at the age of 13 but that's illegal. I've always been told that I look like a model and that I should be one and my body isn't unrealistic that just something to say to girls to make them feel better.

• First of there is something called genetics. Then working out come in to play. But when it comes to someones taste "de gustibus non est disputandum" Some guys dont like skinny girls, some like girls that have some muscles here and there, some like skinny, some like chubby... Probably majority like something at middle not fat not skinny or would not have problem with shapes that are at middle. Anorectic look is ugly, stupid and extreme dieting looks without actually working out is not that appealing. I guess we all look by default for something healthy or healthier for our mate and that includes balancing your eating habits and being physically active. But its stupid to expect to be front cover model or mr. olympia if you dont have right genetics. Sometimes guys actually like more some normal girl with non model looks than front cover model looks. Yes some guys and girls have crazy or unrealistic expectations cos no one is actually perfect. Problem is when media or magazines sell something that is unhealthy as trendy and usually girls think its that or nothing then do some extreme diets or who knows and ruin their health. Healthy is sexy and by that its not just physically good shape but also psychically.
    O and did i say if something is product you try to make it look best that it can so girls on cover even when having nice shape end up with some Photoshoping.
    Balance and health is key word or should be.

• A lot of people just wanna eat junk food and sit on the couch watching TV all day and look good. That's not possible but everything is achievable with hard work.
    If you want to look like a supermodel you have to work for it and who doesn't like a fit girl? I agree with you on this that when girls see someone better than them they say its not real but I've seen a lot of girls who look as good as a model.
    Its just laziness of the society that makes people feel unrealistic about a fit body.
    Guys tend to say that to , when they see a muscular guy they say he is on steroids and that's not true. Its possible to live healthy.
    I think that we should not judge anyone no matter if its a girl or a guy for wanting to be perfect. and call them attention seeker or anything.
    People always seek perfection and that's the truth.

• It becomes a problem when game devs use the "one ideal" as an excuse to get lazy with character art.

• Models can be attractive but i think its off putting when you can see her skeleton

• Well, everyone just see beauty differently. I was mostly talking about people who work hard to achieve a certain body. and some things you can't change and still look beautiful

• What is unrealistic is the airbrushing - look at Victoria's secret models before and after the airbrushing. They still look thin before, and they still have fake boobs before, but the airbrushed pictures are obviously not real.

Then there's the fact that being very thin, not slim and healthy but ribs/hip bones showing/thigh gap is not healthy for most women, and that having large breasts at this weight is almost impossible.

• I didn't mean models. I meant fit people, naturally curvy people, or big boned women. My title was changed

• The confusion seems to stem from the "model" part, having the model look. Of course anyone can get the model look if they have the height. But even without height they can be slim and have the model look simply wouln't be runway/editorial models where height is required.

So yes model look is achievable for everyone if they are willing to put in the effort. A lof of people have model look, its sad its become an anomaly that some people try to put down people who work hard to maintain attractive bodies.

• yeah, my title was changed. As you can see in the whole article. I never mentioned models. Just people who are naturally beautiful or those who work for it. Everyone is beautiful, but we have different body types. Like someone who works out everyday to achieve a certain body, but then are called unreal

• I've never seen men say "never expect a girl to have that body."
    Only women who are trying to give encouragements to other women would say such thing.

You're right. Tons of girls have a model-like body figures, and I've witnessed it many times with my own eyes.

• No, sorry my grammar is horrible. I mean a lot of women say "men shouldn't expect girl to look like this"

• We don't mind if girls don't look like that. We don't think any less of women who don't have the model body figure. It's that the media always portrays women to have the perfect body. It's the same for men. You expect men to be muscular and jacked.

• I agree with you. You shouldn't expect every woman to look like that. But it's not wrong to think some are.

• The Victoria's Secret Model's work very hard to keep their bodies in the shape they are. I believe few people reliaze that their contract requires them to maintain a certain amount of fat/lean muscle on their bodies. Victoria's Secret does not look for the "stick thin" model's like some other companies may/still have.
    As for me personally I like model's like Ashley Graham, Ashley Alexiss, and others that are now considered plus-size or curvy. They are the bomb.

• I think that it's just unrealistic for somebody who is already extremely unhealthy and out of shape. For a girl that's relatively healthy, then they can probably achieve the look with a bit of persistence.

• the airbrushing makes it look unrealistic but in the end there is no "real" way women look. Just like men, women come in all shapes and sizes and everyone's got their own preferences

• I didn't mean models. I mean fit people, naturally curvy people, or big boned beauties. Everyone is beautiful. I totally agree, but we shouldn't shame those ho do look the way they do.

• Those are just fat chicks whining lol

• This is just a side effect of the feminist movement where everything is an unrealistic body type and women should only be happy when they're fat.

• It's unrealistic because it requires eating good food and exercise and that's hard work.

• It's not at all unrealistic, it's completely possible if you work for it.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 43

• It's unrealistic because not everyone has that body type (endomorph vs. ectomorph vs. mesomorph)

That and pizza is life.

• That doesn't make it unrealistic just because everyone isn't like that. But I agree pizza is life.

• I wasn't trying to and OP wasn't either. The title of Take was changed. I guess I misunderstood your answer because there are people who use their body type or body as an excuse not to be healthy. I was taking a step further that no matter what the body type you can be slim and toned.

I wasn't trying to brush it aside, as far as my understanding goes both ecto and meso can attain slimmer figures, meso would be more curvier. So sure at least most people with good effort can attain slimmer figures.

• I don't think everyone should look like a model, just don't shame those who do.

• Women who complain about these things are too lazy to do anything about their own bodies and feel the world should change for them to be happy instead of changing themselves for their own happiness.

• What's so unrealistic about the buff guy look?
    A lot, it would take a lot of protein, gym time, and who knows what else to make the naturally skinny guy into a buff model guy.
    cosmouk.cdnds.net/.../...-2016-04-27-at-175515.jpg
    even after working out, this guy still isn't like Jason Mamoa.
    i154.photobucket.com/.../lineup_smaller.jpg
    Same goes for ladies, not all of us are meant to be lanky models with perky boobs and perky butts. And that's ok because everyone shouldn't look the same and people shouldn't be pressured to fit into one mold to be hot.

• but that doesn't make their body type unrealistic. My title was changed so people think I'm talking about models. I simply mean fit people, natural curvy people, or big boned beauties. sure it's unrealistic for everyone to meet those expectations because of genes. But it's not unrealistic for people to be able to have that kind of body

• @Heymonyo Don't tell me Jason Mamoa, the Khal Drogo dopes :'c
      I believe it though, there were some guys at my old high school talking about steroids! Crazy to think about.

• I don't know who those are specifically, but a lot of actors do

• It's not unrealistic at all. Some people are just lucky to be born with nice bodies, and others can personally achieve a nice body themselves if they made the effort. People are just lazy and would rather say something is unrealistic instead of trying to actually achieve it. But by saying that they put down people who actually have these bodies and say they are not real. Are they supposed to feel bad or something? I think it would kind of be an insult to those who actually do work out very hard for a nice body and tell them their body is unrealistic. What the actual fuck?

• In the words of Cindy Crawford "I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford"

The images you see in magazines and online are very much fake. there's photoshop, but thats only half of it, right pose , good lighting and stuff like that makes a huge difference and can't be replicated all day everyday. for example VS model Anne Vyalitsyna just running on the beach

www1.pictures.zimbio.com/.../...a+iTa-4HlnDIal.jpg

She doesn't look awful by all means, but its not quite this, is it?

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...40dd9abec2.jpg

And yes exaggerated posing, filters and even photoshop are rampant on social media even among amateurs, like the right side of the last pic you posted.
    I mean the last pic is completly overusing everything I just said, its too ridicoulous to even take serious.
    The middle picture also obviously uses all of the above, if to a lesser extend. And she's wearing clothes, if she wasn't, youd see rolls. Thats just the thing, they never show that in pictures

On a second note, models almost all of them are underweight by BMI. Even anorexic (which is not the same anorexia nervosa ).
    And every few years they make headlines with their extreme diet. Like Adriana Lima not eating a week before the show and not drinking 24 hours before it. Or megan fox describing her diet as "awful". So whos to say its unrealistic, if you can look like Adriana Lima or megan fox, all you have to do is be underweight, dont eat, water cut and be miserable.
    And thats another thing. Being thin means you have bones sticking out. Bones that are then photoshopped away, because they look gross and frankly too thin. So they just keep the thin frame in the final picture without showing the "consequences" of being thin. And thats just not realistic

a5.files.fashionista.com/.../...E3MTY3OTIxMDQy.jpg

I hate it that whenever you voice concer about beauty standards as a girl, you're labled as jealous or a hater. And there have been many historical beauty standards that awful for women. Think of Lotus feet. Dont just assume men will like what is healthy, its soooo much more complicated than that and have proven to fixate on bodies that are unhealthy and I dont think obsessing over underweight bodies is any different

• If my only job was to work out and look good with trainers, stylists etc of course I'd look like that. I live in the real world of a 48 hour work week and parenting a homeschooled kid. It's not in the cards that I wake up at 3am and go to the gym prior to a day shift, or that I go in between my night shifts when I need every drop of rest for the next one. I do, however, pay attention to diet and my lifestyle is far from sedentary. I am in shape and proud of my figure, my dress size and weight. If I start to add a few pounds, I notice immediately and adjust my food intake accordingly.

That said, I'm putting the kid into school a few days in the fall and intend to join a gym.

So anyway, "realistic " means that most of us can't afford trainers and haven't got the time to dedicate hours each day to achieve that look or maintain it.

Watch what you eat, get off the couch, work out as you can.

• there's no one way to be~ if that were true, then we'd all be a bunch of narcissists dating ourselves.

yes, some people are fat because they're lazy, or skinny because they starve themselves. but to assume that's true for all is willfully ignorant~ there are medical issues (hyper/hypothyroidism), side effects of medication (certain asthma meds and antidepressants can cause weight gain), mental illness (some people are emotional eaters, while others purge to ease stress), diet (anorexia can stall your metabolic function), genetics, and many other things that can contribute to someone's shape/size.

i've always said, promote what you love instead of bashing what you don't, and those who truly love themselves don't need to prove it by insulting others.

• I know we all can't be the same and I agree promote what you love. What do you mean be there's no one way to be.

• when i say "there's no one way to be", i mean that there's no universal body type (or any other physical characteristic, really) that should be the standard for one and all. what's normal for some may not be for others, for various reasons, and the same could be said for personality traits as well.

• I agree on that

• The VS model look is impossible to achieve for most women (not unreal, just not meant for everybody). There are 3 main body types: ectomorph (like VS models), mezomorph (easy to gain muscles and most of the time it guarantees an hourglass body shape too) and endomorph (they have a hard time losing weight and they are just naturally stockier).
    I agree with you that they shouldn't say it's an unrealistic body, but we also shouldn't expect everyone to look like that (because well, it's not possible for everybody), get what I'm saying?

• I agree, I'm not saying anyone should be expected to look like a model. Just that we all have different bodies and you shouldn't call someone with a body different than yours unreal.

• I think people tell themselves it's unrealistic because they don't want to feel bad. If you work hard enough and eat right like these models you would probably look like them. There are some girls that naturally look like that and trust me I'm not one of them. I don't think it's unrealistic expectations though most of the models I see today look healthy. You can achieve anything you put your mind to. The only thing I think is unrealistic is that stupid thigh gap think, if you don't have the bone structure for it your not gonna get. It's sad that some people starve themselves trying to get this. If you have it you have it. If you don't you don't.

• I don't think they mean unrealistic as in doesn't exist, but unrealistic of every women to be expected to look the same and have the same body shape - you can't control your own body shape - as in a pear, an apple, an hourglass... it's the way it is...
    And you can't have a thigh gap if your thighs are touching no matter how much weight you lose.

I think that's what they're talking about...
    If not, that's what they SHOULD be talking about when they say 'unrealistic'.

• i think the reasons why people say its unrealistic is because we all still have the old version of model in our minds. a completely flawless woman. these days anyone can be a model. there are catwalk models, magazine models, video vixens, petite models, plus sized models, basically women of any shape and size can model. the ones you posted do look average and i dont see any photoshop but the most popular models now are now curvy models who look like this

www.google.com/search

and this

www.google.com/search

and this

www.google.com/search

all have plastic surgery and use photoshop. of course some women naturally have extreme curves, but the majority buy their curves and get praised for it. that is why so many women say it is unrealistic

• I have the exact measurements of VS models - sans the height.

So it's not unrealistic. Uncommon, maybe. You have to have a small frame to have those measurements and then you have to be tall and it's uncommon for a girl to be that tall AND small framed. But it's not impossible.

• I didn't relly mean models. My title was changed a little so it seems that's my point. I'm realy talking about fit people, people with natural curves, or big boned beauties.

• Nothing wrong. I saw some guys saying the same too.

These people (beautiful) won the genetic lottery and will get usual negative responses from people who are depressed or lacking in someway.

Anorexic girls or girls with low self esteem problems will also try to mold themselves after the celebrity models with perfect looks.

• See that's unhealthy. The shouldn't try so hard to change themselves to be like others. They should try hard to build up themselves to become greater

• But i dont crave for it, thats the diff

• No, I can eat any foods I want too. Also by crave I was just exaggerating. I just really want. I have kinda good genes, because I can eat an entire pizza and not gain much from it. I've been the same weight for over a year.

• Some things like weight, are not unrealistic. But other things like height or hip or boob size are unrealistic because no amount of exercise will give you curvy hips or big boobs or taller.

So there's only so much many of us can do to be "model hot", and we'd still fall short.

• I wasn't talking about models. I was talking about everyday people who either worked for their body or was born with it. My title was changed so most people think I was talking about models. I'm not saying people should try to achieve this look. I'm saying it's kinda rude to call someone who has unreal.

• Of course it's not unrealistic to obtain this type of body if your willing to work really hard to get it. It takes time and effort. A lot of people don't have the will power to keep going. Some people achieve that goal, then stop exercising and go back to over indulging. All that efforts gone out the window and then they are back to square one again. I don't have a model type body and I'm really not that fussed about achieving one. I'm average build with a broad frame, I have a little bit of padding which I would like to tone up a bit. I do have shape, which i would like to maintain. I wouldn't like the thought of bones rubbing together while having sex. Lol! When I exercise I do it for my own benefit, not to fit other peoples idealisms. I hate body shaming full stop. People just need to accept that everyone comes in all shapes and sizes. Skinny, athletic, average, chubby, obese. Just stop picking on each other and enjoy life.

• My title was changed, I was really talking about fit girls, girls with natural curves, big boned beauties. The kind that just have it and are called unreal for it

• Ok. I see.

• bc mst models are like 6 feet tall. its true people can be in shape if they try, but that won't give them long legs or small waste or l;urge break or height. thats hats unrealistic. not the in shape part. the example you gave looks tall judging by her height from the light switch. plus im sure she has surgery for her stomach.

anyhow in my opinion the most unrealistic thing about models is they are all very tall. most women are not tall let alone very tall.

• and that can't be changed through hard work and dedication if models were aeragew height the rest would look more believable bc most people can maintain a good shape if they try. but looking at a 6 ft woman when average height is 5 ft 3.. it just doesn't begin to look believable. but models are not su[osed to look believable they are supposed to look just out of reach so that women spend tons of money trying to look like them. if models were supposed to loo believable they'd be 5 ft 5 and 125 pounds with dar skin light skin freckled skin non surgery enhanced bodies medium length legs in proportion to their body and hair that is not always thick and long i e no extensions and very little make up. if any and some stretch marks here and there... but they are not bc they are not meant to be believable or relatable but profitable.

• i dont personally care if models look unrealistic, i just think its sick to spend energy worshipping other peoples bodes. its pretty pathetic and i find it believable this is even an important topic to people. i accept it is i just fond it so very peculiar.

• If you mean in the last part she was a professional trainer, she gained weight while being a stay at home for while and then it took her months to bring it back down. Yeah, if you can't change something bout your body, that's the part you should love the most. Well some things.

• Well everyone doesn't have the same body type. I agree that we can all be in shape, but not everyone's "in shape" looks like that. some people are more top or bottom heavy. But being fit isn't unrealistic, honestly it should be the standard. Americans love awarding everyone the winner even if they didn't try

• Yea I agree with most but there are things that you can never get regardless of how hard you work out like boobs and height.
    Reason why we say it s unrealistic for "us" to look like someone "else"
    But if course you can look like the best version of yourself.

• Models have small boobs but you can still have model look without the height. Of course you wouln't be a runway/editorial model but model body nonetheless. So you need to stop playing coy archaaaiz ;)

• Yeah, I wasn't saying people should changed their look to be like others. I totally agree about being the best version of yourself, but don't knock down others in the process.

• yes of course
      I didn t disagree with that no need to tell me :P

• Magazines use a lot of photoshop. So don't trust all these pics. But nothing withholds you from a good fitness program and healthy nutrition program (not a diet !!!) to look as good as possible. But you still have your basic body shape determined by your bone structure. Nothing much to be done at that. So just one rule: be realistic and don't dream.

• Yeah I agree. We're all different so just be ourselves and be the best we can be

• Nothing is unrealistic.
    I'll never look like a model cuz I'm not tall enough haha. But I can always be fit.

• @rgb008... rubbish you can pull it off! lol

• @mohamedivv no 5 feet 6 inches

• Oh u tall 167.4cm stop telling yourself short
      U are very normal and to make sure I am guy and 177 cm now u can dream of being model not gust model but prefect and hot model cuz u have prefect body
      But when u become famous don't forget me lol :-D
      @rgb008

• More from Girls
    23