What's So Unrealistic About the Hot Model Look?

Lately you hear a lot of girls say "that's not a realistic body" if they see a picture of a fit woman. I watch videos of girls looking at Victoria secret model's pictures and say "that's not a real body" or "guys should never expect a girl to look like that." And whenever someone tries to argue with them they say thing like "you're trying too hard or looking for attention."

Why is it so hard to believe a girl to look like this? And it's not just skinny people, but anyone who resembles a beauty they can't or don't know how to achieve. I don't look like this because I'm lazy and don't care enough to try. There is not average body because most don't have the exact same body. Not all girls do this, but a lot do and think it's fine.

A lot of girls look like this, and that's fine because we're all beautiful. But think if you don't it's ok to call others unreal. Guys get the same kind of thing but not as bad as girls. If a fit guy wants a fit girlfriend and seen as shallow for having standards by a girl who can't meet those standards so he has so lower them. Does that really seem right? We all have something wrong with us whether it's from uneven boobs, saggy butt, crooked teeth, or our attitudes, so why do we take the time to downplay others to boost ourselves? Because believe it or not we can meet those "unrealistic expectations."

Just something I had on my mind.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 34

• I think that it's just unrealistic for somebody who is already extremely unhealthy and out of shape. For a girl that's relatively healthy, then they can probably achieve the look with a bit of persistence.

• As always, balance is everything. It's dangerous to start spreading the belief that women should look a certain way, which thereby applies pressure on every young woman on the planet and that pressure can result in a series of crippling issues. This whole "thigh gap" insanity is just one example.

On the other hand, if you go too far in the other direction, you're back to the "oh, everything is okay" crap that has been systematically decimating our society for years. Yeah, a woman can look good if she takes care of herself. Calling it "unrealistic" is just a lazy dodge; you get to accuse other people of being narrow-minded while you sit around and do nothing.

There's a very big gulf between anorexia and looking at a regular ol' healthy woman and screaming about how it's "unrealistic." :)

• Yeah, I agree with you on the thinking every should be this way and everything else you said

• Oh it's not "unrealistic", those model girls have that body too (although that doesn't take photoshop into account).

My issue with Victoria Secret is that they're so thin that there's nothing attractive about their body type. They're literally as unappealing as they can get. Although the last picture on your take shows a "too overweight" and a "too skinny" woman, which is funny because the balanced setup inbetween tends to be ignored.

• It's not at all unrealistic, it's completely possible if you work for it.

• This is just a side effect of the feminist movement where everything is an unrealistic body type and women should only be happy when they're fat.

• Damn, I want to fuck all of them. Even the fat one.

• Most of the pictures models appear in are photoshopped.

• It's not so much that it's unrealistic, it's that other women are intimidated or jealous of that look, and demonizing it as unrealistic give them an easy way out.

• Damn! The girl in the first shot is WAY hot!

• It's unrealistic because it requires eating good food and exercise and that's hard work.

• I like how they look in the magazine's haha. Besides there are a lot of women with gorgeous bodies.

• The Victoria's Secret Model's work very hard to keep their bodies in the shape they are. I believe few people reliaze that their contract requires them to maintain a certain amount of fat/lean muscle on their bodies. Victoria's Secret does not look for the "stick thin" model's like some other companies may/still have.
    As for me personally I like model's like Ashley Graham, Ashley Alexiss, and others that are now considered plus-size or curvy. They are the bomb.

• just lazy people feeling shitty about their own fat body.

reminding them of what they can't find the motivation to do themselves.

• To me, there is nothing unrealistic about it. However, it IS hard to attain and maintain that body, especially with age.

• Because the majority of people are not born into the "pretty people" club. Sure it is easy for those in that catagory to think "why is that hard to believe". The fact is that most of us have realistic expectations. Why the magazines of the world play to those others I don't know. The fact is I would not bother with the "super hot model" woman even if I could get one. More times then not, she is going to be a high maintenance, shallow person. She will have every "pretty person" male going after her and she will always want the latest and greatest. You want the most "real" woman? pick the 3rd best looking at the table. Based on how the women think, not the man. Because beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have had mad crushes on women that I thought were model beautiful, where friends thought she was ugly even. Same with my idea of some of the women they wanted. I like a woman with meat on her bones, not some super skinny woman. Someone that isn't going to be on a constant diet, or worry about what other people think.

• My title was changed, so most people think I'm talking about models. I don't expect everyone to look good, or fit. Just why is it so hard to believe people can look that way.

• Why do men always say that the "super hot model" women are high maintenance and shallow? What is the reasoning for this?

• @frozenhorizon it has been proven by studies time and again that the "pretty people" of the world have a much easier life then the rest of us regular folk. Women take that to a whole other level. The model or super gorgeous women have everything handed to them. they get any guy they want. They have most of the rest of the guys gawking at them ready to do whatever they desire. They are high maintenance, stuck up Cu**'s plain and simple.

• It's not unrealistic, there are actually people who look like this models. It's real as anything else.

• the airbrushing makes it look unrealistic but in the end there is no "real" way women look. Just like men, women come in all shapes and sizes and everyone's got their own preferences

• I didn't mean models. I mean fit people, naturally curvy people, or big boned beauties. Everyone is beautiful. I totally agree, but we shouldn't shame those ho do look the way they do.

• What is unrealistic is the airbrushing - look at Victoria's secret models before and after the airbrushing. They still look thin before, and they still have fake boobs before, but the airbrushed pictures are obviously not real.

Then there's the fact that being very thin, not slim and healthy but ribs/hip bones showing/thigh gap is not healthy for most women, and that having large breasts at this weight is almost impossible.

• I didn't mean models. I meant fit people, naturally curvy people, or big boned women. My title was changed

• its pretty realistic for women, but for guys, people who dont even lift think its possible to be 6ft 220lbs 8% bodyfat year long naturally lol

• First of there is something called genetics. Then working out come in to play. But when it comes to someones taste "de gustibus non est disputandum" Some guys dont like skinny girls, some like girls that have some muscles here and there, some like skinny, some like chubby... Probably majority like something at middle not fat not skinny or would not have problem with shapes that are at middle. Anorectic look is ugly, stupid and extreme dieting looks without actually working out is not that appealing. I guess we all look by default for something healthy or healthier for our mate and that includes balancing your eating habits and being physically active. But its stupid to expect to be front cover model or mr. olympia if you dont have right genetics. Sometimes guys actually like more some normal girl with non model looks than front cover model looks. Yes some guys and girls have crazy or unrealistic expectations cos no one is actually perfect. Problem is when media or magazines sell something that is unhealthy as trendy and usually girls think its that or nothing then do some extreme diets or who knows and ruin their health. Healthy is sexy and by that its not just physically good shape but also psychically.
    O and did i say if something is product you try to make it look best that it can so girls on cover even when having nice shape end up with some Photoshoping.
    Balance and health is key word or should be.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 43

• I don't think they mean unrealistic as in doesn't exist, but unrealistic of every women to be expected to look the same and have the same body shape - you can't control your own body shape - as in a pear, an apple, an hourglass... it's the way it is...
    And you can't have a thigh gap if your thighs are touching no matter how much weight you lose.

I think that's what they're talking about...
    If not, that's what they SHOULD be talking about when they say 'unrealistic'.

• I think models can look great too! People always say they look anorexic, but I've nvr seen a model that does.

• As long as you don't starve yourself to look like that, it's all good. Although it doesn't mean this should be considered the perfec

• *perfect body type since not everyone is the same. Basically you should just try to be the best that you could be.

-sorry for the separate paragrahps... stupid phone :(

• yeah, I didn't mean that in anyway. Every should just be the best they can be.

• It's unrealistic because not everyone has that body type (endomorph vs. ectomorph vs. mesomorph)

That and pizza is life.

• That doesn't make it unrealistic just because everyone isn't like that. But I agree pizza is life.

• I wasn't trying to and OP wasn't either. The title of Take was changed. I guess I misunderstood your answer because there are people who use their body type or body as an excuse not to be healthy. I was taking a step further that no matter what the body type you can be slim and toned.

I wasn't trying to brush it aside, as far as my understanding goes both ecto and meso can attain slimmer figures, meso would be more curvier. So sure at least most people with good effort can attain slimmer figures.

• I don't think everyone should look like a model, just don't shame those who do.

• Well everyone doesn't have the same body type. I agree that we can all be in shape, but not everyone's "in shape" looks like that. some people are more top or bottom heavy. But being fit isn't unrealistic, honestly it should be the standard. Americans love awarding everyone the winner even if they didn't try

• people just need to put others down

• I have the exact measurements of VS models - sans the height.

So it's not unrealistic. Uncommon, maybe. You have to have a small frame to have those measurements and then you have to be tall and it's uncommon for a girl to be that tall AND small framed. But it's not impossible.

• I didn't relly mean models. My title was changed a little so it seems that's my point. I'm realy talking about fit people, people with natural curves, or big boned beauties.

• Nothing is unrealistic.
    I'll never look like a model cuz I'm not tall enough haha. But I can always be fit.

• @rgb008... rubbish you can pull it off! lol

• @mohamedivv no 5 feet 6 inches

• Oh u tall 167.4cm stop telling yourself short
      U are very normal and to make sure I am guy and 177 cm now u can dream of being model not gust model but prefect and hot model cuz u have prefect body
      But when u become famous don't forget me lol :-D
      @rgb008

• Nothing wrong. I saw some guys saying the same too.

These people (beautiful) won the genetic lottery and will get usual negative responses from people who are depressed or lacking in someway.

Anorexic girls or girls with low self esteem problems will also try to mold themselves after the celebrity models with perfect looks.

• See that's unhealthy. The shouldn't try so hard to change themselves to be like others. They should try hard to build up themselves to become greater

• But i dont crave for it, thats the diff

• No, I can eat any foods I want too. Also by crave I was just exaggerating. I just really want. I have kinda good genes, because I can eat an entire pizza and not gain much from it. I've been the same weight for over a year.

• If my only job was to work out and look good with trainers, stylists etc of course I'd look like that. I live in the real world of a 48 hour work week and parenting a homeschooled kid. It's not in the cards that I wake up at 3am and go to the gym prior to a day shift, or that I go in between my night shifts when I need every drop of rest for the next one. I do, however, pay attention to diet and my lifestyle is far from sedentary. I am in shape and proud of my figure, my dress size and weight. If I start to add a few pounds, I notice immediately and adjust my food intake accordingly.

That said, I'm putting the kid into school a few days in the fall and intend to join a gym.

So anyway, "realistic " means that most of us can't afford trainers and haven't got the time to dedicate hours each day to achieve that look or maintain it.

Watch what you eat, get off the couch, work out as you can.

• There is nothing unrealist (except if photoshop is here xD).
    Just that we were born with some shapes, like bones structure that we cannot change.

• It is realistic for some girls but not all. I see girls who work out and eat healthy and still don't look like that. It is unhealthy to look at a model and have the belief that you have to look like that. The boobs and city that many of those models have on a thin body like that is pretty unrealistic for about 95% of women. Most women who are thin like that will not have those curves. Just eat healthy and exercise and don't worry about what magazines say. I do agree that some women look at them not being able to look like that as an excuse to stay unhealthy but to say that all women can look like that is untrue.

• I've never been fat at all my waist is 25 inches around and my butt 45.6inches

• To some extent. It's simple to be thin. But impossible for me to become white, change my natural figure which is pear shaped and not a model figure, I couldn't get tiny legs or thigh gap even when I was underweight last year. I think being a model is unattainable, as models are taller than average, more attractive than most, have a petite body shape or hour glass, you can't change genetics. And have great hair, again, genetics. Being thin is attainable, but models are not simply thin

• No, it's not unrealistic at all. I work my booty off to look like these girls (or better). I think everyone has their own beauty, but I know what I want for myself, which is leanness and physical fitness.

• i think the reasons why people say its unrealistic is because we all still have the old version of model in our minds. a completely flawless woman. these days anyone can be a model. there are catwalk models, magazine models, video vixens, petite models, plus sized models, basically women of any shape and size can model. the ones you posted do look average and i dont see any photoshop but the most popular models now are now curvy models who look like this

www.google.com/search

and this

www.google.com/search

and this

www.google.com/search

all have plastic surgery and use photoshop. of course some women naturally have extreme curves, but the majority buy their curves and get praised for it. that is why so many women say it is unrealistic

• In the words of Cindy Crawford "I wish I looked like Cindy Crawford"

The images you see in magazines and online are very much fake. there's photoshop, but thats only half of it, right pose , good lighting and stuff like that makes a huge difference and can't be replicated all day everyday. for example VS model Anne Vyalitsyna just running on the beach

www1.pictures.zimbio.com/.../...a+iTa-4HlnDIal.jpg

She doesn't look awful by all means, but its not quite this, is it?

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...40dd9abec2.jpg

And yes exaggerated posing, filters and even photoshop are rampant on social media even among amateurs, like the right side of the last pic you posted.
    I mean the last pic is completly overusing everything I just said, its too ridicoulous to even take serious.
    The middle picture also obviously uses all of the above, if to a lesser extend. And she's wearing clothes, if she wasn't, youd see rolls. Thats just the thing, they never show that in pictures

On a second note, models almost all of them are underweight by BMI. Even anorexic (which is not the same anorexia nervosa ).
    And every few years they make headlines with their extreme diet. Like Adriana Lima not eating a week before the show and not drinking 24 hours before it. Or megan fox describing her diet as "awful". So whos to say its unrealistic, if you can look like Adriana Lima or megan fox, all you have to do is be underweight, dont eat, water cut and be miserable.
    And thats another thing. Being thin means you have bones sticking out. Bones that are then photoshopped away, because they look gross and frankly too thin. So they just keep the thin frame in the final picture without showing the "consequences" of being thin. And thats just not realistic

a5.files.fashionista.com/.../...E3MTY3OTIxMDQy.jpg

I hate it that whenever you voice concer about beauty standards as a girl, you're labled as jealous or a hater. And there have been many historical beauty standards that awful for women. Think of Lotus feet. Dont just assume men will like what is healthy, its soooo much more complicated than that and have proven to fixate on bodies that are unhealthy and I dont think obsessing over underweight bodies is any different

• I believe that the attractive model is a combination of a thin physique and some digital manipulations to hide blemishes, no matter how tiny. Women are naturally born with pubic hair, but having pubic hair is considered ugly in recent times. So, there is pressure for women to look bare under there. Pornographic media may have standards about the "perfect labia" or the "perfect breasts". Therefore, the hot model, as portrayed in the popular media and pornographic media, is unrealistic and should only be used as a metric for ideal female beauty based on present cultural standards.

Beauty does not always correlate well with health. In ancient times, Chinese men liked small feet, so Chinese women had their feet bound by their family members to be marriageable. This was detrimental to the women's health, because it crippled them to walk like normal people. Forced to be disabled and weak, they were made to be submissive wives for their husbands.

If you know you are ugly, then you don't have to try to make yourself look beautiful. Beauty is highly subjective anyway. Just make sure your weight is within normal BMI range, and your blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels are normal. If you are female, then make sure you have normal monthly periods. Wear sunscreen, sunglasses, a wide-brimmed hat, and clothing that covers a lot of skin. Preserving your health will make you live longer, which should be priority.

• That chick on the bottom is curvy not skinny. Skinny is VS models. Vs models are supermodels because they are tall and naturally thin. Like we all can't have a body like Beyonce or christina Hendricks. Those same skinny girls complain about the unrealistic standard of todays women being curvy. not all women can have curves. Fact is we ranch in sizes n shapes

• Like 10 % of women in the world actually posses it.

• More from Girls
    23