Don't Give Up On Your Passions: A Personal Story

Writing has always been a passion of mine, even as a child. I day dreamed often, and at six years old, I was already writing out short stories based on the small fantasies I played out in my head. It encouraged me even more when my grandma would print out my stories and framed them or put them in binders for me. I saw how the other six year olds wrote, and I critiqued them all to myself. I judged their misused grammar, misspelled words, and choppy sentences. I was told by several teachers that I wrote at least a grade level or two higher than I should have at the time (but my math skills were still pretty awful.) I used diaries to make my very own hard covered stories, and I was overjoyed when a teacher gave us writing prompts.

Most eight year old girls dreamed of being ballerinas, doctors, and celebrities. At eight years old, I was already aspiring to be a famous author. I wanted to write down the crazy images in my mind and share them with the world. I wanted everyone to see what I could come up with, and show them what went on in my perspective of things. I did research on it, which wasn't typical of an eight year old, and found out that the average author didn't make much money. I thought it over and said to my mom," Well... I guess I can go without a pony farm." Obviously she laughed, but she didn't believe that I would be an author anyway.

In 9th grade, I started to think she was right. Life caught up with me, and the bullying, stress, and constant sleep deprivation caused by high school crushed me. I had always been so advanced in elementary and middle school, but it seemed that my classmates caught up to me come high school. I no longer felt smart and I no longer felt talented. I put down my pencil, and I never expected to pick it up again. The poetry and stories that I wrote decreased greatly, until finally, the only time I wrote was when it was required for school, and even then I only put in 70%.

Tenth grade was the same, but when I saw that my new school in eleventh grade offered creative writing, there was no chance of me not taking the opportunity. My first few days were pretty intimidating. Each week, the teacher assigned a new writing prompt.

I started school only a day or two before the class turned in one of their stories. Everyone else was given a week to prepare, but my teacher gave me the opportunity to try with the rest of the class. The rules for the assignment were to pick a location, and object, a conflict, and a shocking twist that my peers wrote down out of a hat. I got a castle, a bloody tiara, my mother won't stop sneezing, and the mailman did it. I sat down at my computer that night and typed furiously for over two hours. I printed off my final product, stapled the pages together, and presented it to the teacher the next morning.

What I wasn't told was that the teacher read our stories out loud to the class. Several of my classmates went first, and I was blown away by their stories. Most were goofy, but they were all still so entertaining that it wasn't too wacky. I was getting nervous, and my insecurities urged me to take my paper back and just do the next assignment. Alas, it was too late.

My teacher began reading my story out loud, and I held my breath. There were more laughs than I expected to get, and by the end of my story, I felt so much calmer. After class that day, people complimented my work, and they all seemed surprised to hear that I wrote it in one night. I was practically beaming by the time I got home, a new writing prompt in hand. I wanted to write again!

Soon after, I joined GaG. I've written several MyTakes here, and I've received both compliments and criticism. I believe that both make me a better writer, and I've started to reconsider a career in writing.

Perhaps you'll see my name on an article you read in a magazine, or you'll watch as my name appears in the credits of a movie that you just enjoyed. Even if that doesn't happen, at least I can say that I didn't completely give up on myself, and for that, I have a passion to tinker with and improve on. I can't believe that I nearly gave up on something that brought me so much joy.

Moral of the story, kids, is to continue to try for what you believe in or love doing. If you give up, there's no chance of improving. If you work hard, the worst that could happen is not improving as much as you hoped for.

lexythelou22 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 6

• 27d

Writing is a lifelong endeavor, filled with rejection and self-doubt. It's likely the same with any art form.

I think it's great that you're vowing to keep at it because you will invariably need that fortitude. In spades. ;)

There is something about seeing your name in print; it never seems to get old. Even meaningless little news stories I wrote for the newspapers a thousand years ago can make me smile. I've won a short story award that was no big deal, but I often think of it. A play that didn't really go anywhere but was t least performed. Articles of various popularity on relatively easy-to-write-for sites like Elite Daily, YourTango, HuffPost, etc... it all means something to me, even if it doesn't add up to much in the bigger scheme of things.

My goals are a bit higher than that, of course, but you should always envision greater achievements. ;) That story wrote is just the tip of the iceberg... more will come, I'm sure. Just keep that love of the craft alive!

• 26d

Very enjoyable take - I have always thought your pieces were very high quality

• 26d

Well you need to actually have a real passion for that other wise id say at least compromise on you passion.

• 26d

You know if it help you obviosly dont if its going well

• 26d

It is a passion, no worry there. I just got discouraged in my abilities and gave up for a short time

• 26d

Well writing isn't my field but i do know there's script writing as the entertainment industry is and has been growing a lot, with the internet pepole read a lot of articles which can have adsense journalism etc
      So there is demand it's just a question of how much supply there is and how good you become with an obvious element of luck start early and 17 is early wright blog etc to publicise your work.

• 26d

For sure. I forget where I remember this quote from: "the child inside you already knows how you'll be great."

Needless to say, I'm still trying to find my inner child.

• 27d

I really do hope I do see you irl name (I remember) on a legit article one day ! I considered writing allrbht I choose to pursue teaching. Goodluck and respect

• 27d

You're too young to take this seriously. :/

• 27d

How so? Can young people not think deeply or plan for the future?

• 24d

I don't see you as an enemy. I don't know anything about you, therefore you aren't an enemy. Right this second, you're just a rude person who resorted to insult immediately in the discussion, which makes me want to disregard your opinions here.

• 24d

We're not enemies. The notion is that people who are your friends or have a positive affinity towards you are more likely to lie to you or exaggerate your successes.

You say "I have a passion!" But if no challenges that you'll never really know if it is one. What you're saying about writing billions of people say but there's no way a declaration is enough.

Passion is losing sleep over a word choice. It's learning from those you loathe for the sake of the craft. It's suffering unnecessarily for the glory of betterment. It's not a creative writing class. It's not "longevity". It's not enthusiasm.

It is life itself.

It calls beyond whatever cliches you know.

And I've my doubts. You are young. Young people rarely know themselves so well. Because passion isn't an avenue you "investigate", it is the path by which all other investigations lead. It is the goal not the journey.

Passion is autodidact.

But for you it's just another dictionary word.

Anyway, i wish you luck.

What Girls Said 6

• 21d

I wrote a My Take Called Altered Life plans, always have plan B, please read, and know that it is never ever too late...😃

• 26d

My passion is writing as well. Im currently rewriting my novel and I do not plan on giving up on getting published.

• 27d

Good Take :)

• 7d

great!

• 9d

you r right

• 26d

now I'm curius about the blody tiara story

• 25d

To sum it up, there was a princess who wanted to be an actress, but her mother refused to let her. One day, a dude in a fake mailman costume dropped off a letter for her mom. Later, her mom started to sneeze loudly at dinner and had to leave the room and go to bed. Princess goes to check on her and she's gone. Finds an envelope filled with powder poured everywhere (what had made her sneeze) and her mom's bloody tiara. Princess tracks down the mailman, acts like a plumber to get in the house, rescues her mom and knocks the mailman out. Her mom is happy that she used her acting skill to save her and let's her become an actress. The end. (It was called the biggest role

• 25d

Her mother's. I think I wrote in that the main character tracked her down when she saw the broken window and blood on it. She thought her mom was dead or something so she was originally going to get revenge till she heard her mom yelling from the house

• 24d

Oh ok