How To Write An Attention Grabbing MyTake

Ah, yes. The allusive G@G MyTake. Pieces of writings where one may vent their feelings on a topic while simultaneously engage their cyber community.

Let me guess: you want to write one, but don’t know where to start? Maybe you have a topic in mind, but don’t know how to open the first paragraph? Or maybe you don’t know what you want to write about? Who’s your audience?

All very good questions that have answers, and I feel that as an English major, I’d be remissed if I didn’t explain to you how to write an attention grabbing MyTake. So here’s your lesson so that you may one day become one of the great attention grabbing G@G writers to ever cross the internet seas.

1. Pick a generic topic that will annoy someone

And then act like you came up with the topic all by yourself. The easiest way to do this is to bash the entire opposite gender. My personal favorite is the ‘Men only want sex’ argument.

2. Make sure the title is an original PSA

PSA = Public Service Announcement. In other words, whatever you decide to title your Take, make sure it sounds original, even though it probably isn’t. So let’s go with my favorite topic: ‘Men only want sex,” because, you know, no one ever brings that up anymore.

Of course, you can’t title it that because that’s boring and too straight to the point. Your audience will start out hostile and will just respond to the title, not the actual Take itself. If you want it to sound original without sounding hostile, unlike the actual Take, take a more subtle approach. Some of these may look like this:

“Why Women Believe Men Only Want Sex”

or

“Men: It’s Your Fault We Think You Only Want Sex”

or

“Sex: The Only Thing On A Man’s Brain”

See how none of those titles sound hostile? Remember, go for BITTER. That’s the key.

3. Preface your Take with a ‘disclaimer' or 'safety phrase'

Some of these include, but are not limited to:

-Not all (wo)men do this
-I’m not talking about everyone
-Before you get upset, just know, I know not everyone is like this
-Yes, I know, this doesn’t apply to everyone

I think you get the picture.

4. Make large generalizations that are mostly negative

Basically, take rule number 3, and throw it out your car window while driving down the highway because no one is going to remember you said it, anyway. Why? Well, some people just don’t bother to read a Take in its entirety yet still feel they have enough information to respond.

For everyone else, it’s because you do make large generalizations that are mostly negative. But that’s what gets the argu-, I mean, conversation going! Discussions are great and sometimes tossing in a negative generalization bait statement is just the thing to get one going.

5. Put it all into a list

Because fuck paragraphs.

List should preferably be in increments of 5. This is not required, but it’s just easier for forum users, which is why everyone does it. But it’s original, so don’t worry. You’ll blend right in.

6. Make assumptions with no factual basis

Look at me breaking the 'list' rule.

If your paragraph, point, or sentence doesn’t start with some version of the phrase “In my experience” or “I know several” or “All the guys/girls I know”, then you’re doing it wrong. Facts rarely get argu-, I mean, discussions going anymore. And it certainly won’t get your Take a lot of personal opinions.

That's how you write an attention grabbing MyTake. If you want to know how to write a QUALITY MyTake, well, that's something COMPLETELY different, and I'll show you that a little later. What, you thought that was the same thing?

And I'm sure by the end of this Take, you've figured out it was completely satire. Or was it? Who knows? I don't.

Elarra is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 10

• 6d

good take

• 8d

Great my take! :). There's something called cunninghams law which i found really interesting and true. He said the best way to get an answer and correct answer on the Internet is not by asking questions and expecting answers but by asking the wrong questions and being corrected

• 8d

Great Take about writing Takes, excellent ideas :D

• 9d

Whoa, calm down lady! You could have broken this up into 4 or 5 lame Takes..

• 9d

TL; DR : Be savage.

• 9d

Yeah - Too many of them floating around - Quality gets thrown aside for click bait very often on here.

• 9d

Wow! Lol 😂 This was great and funny

• 9d

True shit. Only if this site promoted actual content instead of which takes will piss the most people off, be the most expensive, have the most pictures and fewest words and don't actually say anything... here's to you, fathoms 😒👍🍻

• 9d

Let me try this.

PSA: Why ALL football players are HORRIBLE PEOPLE

Let me just start this mytake by letting all of you mad football players know that I know that not all football players do these things so don't get mad. But here are the reasons.

- All football players all selfish assholes
    - All football players cheat on their girlfriend with some dumb blonde chick
    -All football players lie to me saying that they didn't cheat but when I checked his phone he was talking to 10 different girls
    - I fucking hate all football players and especially you Brandon!!!"!3213

So yeah in my experience, and I think 99% of you would agree with me (at least the smart people here) all men are cheating pigs.

Update: Why is everyone hating on me in the comments? Im leaving gag forever!

• 9d

Post anything with fake news, and I'll be annoyed, for one.

Nice take. :)

What Girls Said 9

• 8d

Love it. Some of these takes are shit lol
    No content and it's just bolded words with a list of pictures that was put together in five minutes lol. They take zero effort but those are the ones that get the most attention for some reason.

• 9d

This was brilliant. Well done :P

• 9d

Awesome tips, wasn't expecting them to be.

• 9d

Lmao the whole time I was reading this I'm like, nah she can't be talking about a quality Take. But you're pretty spot on about how to get your Take featured. Especially the list thing. I'd say about 80% of featured Takes are lists. I enjoyed this for what is was.

• 6d

good job

• 6d

this would certainly draw attwntion, but also a lot of butthurt haters.

• 6d

Great advice thank u

• 9d

that was great!
    got me all inspired :p

• 9d

Lovely!
    But I made the mistake with talking about my experience. Oh, well, I am still trying... haha.

• 9d

Lol, it's cool, I'm mostly talking about people who make gigantic statements about things and make themselves look like fools for doing it, so that's definitely NOT you.

• 9d

Oh, thank you. At first I was reading and I said "what? Why do I have to annoy people?". One second later I figured out it was satiric. You made me smile.