Anxiety about lifeguard class?

I'm so anxious about my lifeguard class tonight. I'm doing it so I can get a job as a lifeguard (clearly) and I need a job, but the classes make me so anxious. I feel like I can't handle a job as a lifeguard because I'll panic but I'm doing my best in the classes. I had a panic attack on Monday in the bathroom for like 45 minutes and it was terrible. We have to swim today and I'm really anxious about it.. someone help? Pls ;-;

Most Helpful Guy

• THEN ITS NOT THE JOB FOR YOU. ITS THAT SIMPLE.

SAFETY IS FIRST. WOULD SOMEONE REALLY HIRE SOMEONE WHO HAD PANIC ATTACKS FOR A JOB THAT IS LIFE THREATENING?

i KNOW I WOULDN'T IF IT WAS BETWEEN YOU AND A FEW OTHERS THAT DIDN'T HAVE MENTAL ISSUES.

• Hey man don't yell at me that's exactly what I'm trying to say. I (was) more worried about how to talk my mom. Which I did. She was kind of upset and saying it's not right to just quit and give up, but I told her this job is a lot different than any other job I've had and more serious, then she understood. And actually, would a place hire someone that has panic attacks to be a lifeguard? Yes. Clearly, they hired me. It's an indoor water park run by local billionaires who rip people off, of course they're gonna hire everyone who applies because they know everyone ends up quitting. Very few people stay longer than 6 months actually. So. Yeah.

• Not really lol I got another job I'm good

• well congratz...

What Guys Said 6

• just relax and go do it. I was nervous as hell when starting new classes for things too but once you get through the first day you become acquainted with the routine and its just like every other day.

• Someone told me that courage is "Just putting your fear aside and treating the situation like a job to do".

And if it is any consolation, the bulk of the job will be:
    --staying awake when it is dull
    --supervising brats
    --breaking up fights between rugrats
    --suppressing horseplay

Actual life or death situations will be few--if ANY.

• don't b anxious... believe in yerself!!! :D

• Lifeguarding isn't for everybody. But if you make it through your class and your first rescue (sometimes it can be years before that happens, so always be ready), you'll get comfortable with it.

• Okay, first off, your life will NOT end if you fail this class or will never be a lifeguard. Life always moves on. Faith helps a lot too and always believe that the future will be better no matter what.

• Please don't be a lifeguard, imagine if this was a real situation and someone died.

What Girls Said 1

• Why do you want to be a lifeguard? Ask yourself that question, and decide if it's worth putting yourself through this class.

Also decide if you can handle the job. Remember if a toddler falls into the pool or something, you can't panic.

• I don't.. I need a job so my mom is having me stay in the class. I don't think I can handle it at all with how bad my anxiety is and how I freaked out on Monday and even just learning CPR. But my mom yelled at me for having a panic attack and was telling me I need to get myself together and pay attention, but I am, I just don't feel like I ca do this