Why is vanilla ice cream white when vanilla extract is brown?

Most Helpful Guy

• There isn't enough vanilla to turn white cream and milk brown. And I don't doubt many ice creams have artificial colors in it to make it the exact color they want.

• I googled it and it said the vanilla extract they use has a yellow tint and that's why vanilla ice cream has a yellowish cream color. It said vanilla ice cream that is white is ice cream that is flavored with artificial vanilla flavor, which is why it doesn't turn the ice cream a yellowish cream color.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ice cream is basically a frozen custard, and the milk and eggs carry flavour very well. Vanilla and vanilla extract are strong flavours, so you need very little. Good vanilla ice cream has brown flecks from the vanilla seeds. The amount of the extract used is quite small (Think it this way a drop of brown color dropped in the bucket of white paint. The white color will remain almost the same). Vanilla extract is very strong and that is why it is used in small quantities.

What Guys Said 7

• Because it just happens to be made using a lot of ingredients that are white the amount of white ingredients overshadows the very small amount of extract that you actually add to the ice cream.

Say you take a bucket of red paint and add say a spoonful of blue and mix it together, there is simply to much red paint and not enough of the blue while it may affect the color in a small way it is not enough to turn it from red to purple.

Also depending on the company that makes it Vanilla is often white, a whitish tan and sometimes even has a yellow tint in color.

• Because milk is white and santa clause is white and he likes milk... therefore milk is white

• Yeah that is something to think about for sure i do agree

• i dunno... its just good :P

• REAL vanilla extract sold in Mexico is white or clear.

• See the tiny black specs in real vanilla ice cream, that's vanilla... the white stuff is the ice cream.

For the fake shit, the vanilla essence is just diluted into the ice cream, you'll hardly notice a colour change.

What Girls Said 6

• coz Mom said it is!

I don't know why it is white. I am sure it has to do with the cream and stuff in it.

It's like asking why is semen white, when some guys are white, black, brown, or dark tan?

The first time I saw a black guy cum, i was shocked his pudding wasn't black! No laffing.

A black friend of mine cut himself and OMG, only the top layers of his skin is black, His lower layer is pink just like every body else! I didn't know!

• I DIDN'T KNOW VANILLA WAS BROWN! I THOUGHT IT BEEN WHITE ALL THIS TIME! D: this is very shocking to me :/

• Because cream is white. There's proportionally more cream in vanilla ice cream than vanilla.

• The anonymous guy explained it well. I just wanted to add that vanilla seeds are black or dark brown. :)

• Because milk/cream is the main ingredient and it is white...