Does your voice change when you speak a different language?

Maybe not so obvious of a change, but perhaps only a slight changes in the tone of your voice. I don't know about everyone, but I noticed that whenever my friends and I talk in English and when we suddenly change to Korean or Mandarin for that matter, our tone kinda change a little as well.

I even got so bored to the extend of doing a recording just to see if I'm right or I'm going crazy. 😂😂 I like my voice when I'm speaking Korean but not when I speak English. 🙈

2|1
26|20

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I have a deeper voice in Spanish than in English. Not that it's a completely different voice, but it does change a little.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been told it does change a bit, ever so slightly. When I speak French, it's the same as my English voice. I've been speaking French since before I was 2 years old, though (I learned it at the same time as English). I personally think my Spanish and Italian voice/tone and speed is the same as well. But I've been told when I speak Dutch, German or Russian, my voice goes deeper and a bit slower.

I'm not fluent in any of these by the way. I have friends from all over, and when they try to teach me some phrases or enough to understand, they noticed a slight change. I think it's because I'm struggling to get the pronunciation correct.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeahh I've been noticing that in my friends too, and vice versa. Whenever I teach them simple Mandarin phrases I noticed their voice/speed goes slower than how they usually speak. Mandarin is a hard language to master the pronunciation ahah 😅

• Show All
    • Yeah, I supposed so. I picked up Korean pree quickly and it's almost the same as Mandarin for me, only thing Mandarin has those pronunciation tone where there's a first, second, third and forth tone. My voice goes deeper when I speak my national language as well.

• Hmm, it's definitely interesting! :)

What Guys Said 19

• Yes, my voice naturally changes to reflect the national character of that particular language. So naturally as an Englishman, I sound very sophisticated and reserved, but when I start speaking a slavic language, I basically sound like a impassioned savage! It sounds more forthright.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes some languages you can tell a distinct difference while with like French for instance my voice will go lower and higher slightly with some words/phrases. But this is just the nature of speech your voice will change and adopt the character and tone of the language your speaking.

1|0
    0|0
  • Some people told me it does and I agree. I have to adapt the accent, so I believe it does.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes my voice changes noticeably when I speak different languages. Not just voice, even attitude changes (can't show different emotions with different tones in non-native languages) 😝

2|0
    0|0
    • Oh yess for some people their personality changes as well when they switch language.

• I think my voice gets sped up a bit when I speak Spanish, but I don't think my pitch changes all that much.

1|0
    0|0
  • I change my accent a bit when speaking Spanish or italian
    it makes speaking those languages easier, my voice is still my voice though

1|0
    0|0
  • My voice doesn't really change, but I try to adjust my pronunciation of specific tones.
    Like in Frrrrrrench the rrrrrrr is very important :D
    I can speak Dutch, French, English and a little German.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes of course each language got different way of pronouncing the letters.

2|0
    1|0
  • Yes definitely

1|0
    0|0
  • people say I sound like ronaldo when talking portuguese and like an immigrant when talking german.
    I feel there's a personality change when I talk in another language.

I feel friendliest talking in English and funniest in german.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yup, there's some people that their personality changes as well when they switch languages.

• Show All
    • I have problems with german already so guess I'll keep dreaming to learn this one

• Ahah German is cool! There's plenty of time for you to learn anyways ^^

• Yes it definitely changes especially if it's a language I'm not so good at.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yesmy voice changes. It gets deeper when I speak Spanish. When i speak French I speak with a Spanish accent but when I speak in English I sound normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I've noticed my voice changes too.

1|0
    0|0
  • I sound the same when I speak any language. I think my emotions change my voice though.

1|0
    0|0
  • My voice when I speak English and my native language is different too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Its the same for me as well. My voice changes when I speak English and Spanish.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sî Señorita

0|0
    0|0
  • My strong accent kills my ability to talk languages

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, my voice is much deeper when speaking in Spanish.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 25

• hmm, i guess u could kinda say so. i get what u mean.

it's hard to tell though because it is me and i hear myself the same, but maybe to an outsider id sound different.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I've actually noticed this about myself too. My voice when I speak Latvian and when I speak English sorta does change a bit xD I like it better when I speak Latvian lol

1|0
    0|0
    • Samee I don't like my voice when I speak English xD

• I'm a lot more polite speaking in Mandarin... but when I talk softly my pitch gets higher for some reason. I don't have a chinese accent when I speak English but I do have a slight southern one so if I'm actively trying to hide my accent my voice gets lower and I cough more but when I'm just talking naturally it's a bit higher.

1|0
    0|0
    • I could never sound polite when speaking Mandarin >< unless I'm talking softly to the elders..

• Show All
    • Fujinese? I have friends that speak Fujin. When my mom talks in taiwanese I can never tell if she's angry or not cuz it all just sounds placid LOL. That's why Canto is the language for when I'm in trouble. Also, it's just better for cussing overall.

• Hokkien is fujian (in Mandarin), so I guess that? Ahah ikrrr my mum's tone when she speaks Taiwanese is literally the sameee -.- I could never figure out if she's angry with me. I use canto and hokkien to curse all the time and everyone doesn't geddit either so yay for me xD

• Of course it does, to pronounce things correctly in another language one should try and speak with an accent, that is how the language is spoken. In English, my first language, I sound quite well spoken and, well, English. When I speak in Welsh I still sound well spoken but I definitely have a Welsh accent, people don't think I'm English speaking Welsh, they assume I have a Welsh accent.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes my voice sounds more deeper when i speak my native language (Kreol) but when its French or English my voice sounds different

1|0
    0|0
  • Yup. My voice usually gets a little higher, a little lighter, and of course I pronounce things differently, make sounds English doesn't have. I like my voice better when I'm not speaking English, haha.

1|0
    0|0
  • It definitely does!
    I think my voice is slightly deeper when I speak Luxembourgish or German and higher when I speak Japanese, I don't really notice a difference when speaking Dutch or French though 😜🐵

1|0
    0|0
  • Yep, I've been pointed out that my voice is a lot more high pitched when I talk in English. I's a little deeper when I speak in Lithuanian :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I sound hardcore full Asian LOL

.. an ANGRY Asian

@BertMacklinFBI me sound so fob ☺️

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes my tone of voice changes when I speak Spanish because I speak Spanish fast and I was born and raised in America so my Spanish sounds different

1|0
    0|0
  • My voice tends to get deeper when I speak Spanish or French, but higher when I try to accurately pronounce Japanese words (I don't speak Japanese, but I've watched enough anime in my days of youth to know a few words and phrases).

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, in Hungarian I sound boyish, in Romanian girlish and in English like a 5 years old. 😂

1|0
    0|0
    • Aww I bet your Romanian voice sound beautiful! 💕

• Yeah. I feel like i give more attitude when i speak my language vs English. I add that extra umphh. Where as my tone sounds plain when I speak in English.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I noticed that my voice change when I speak English, Spanish and French. There's not much difference when I speak English and French but when I speak Spanish it sounds very deep, and my speed goes very slow..

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, my voice, tone... Accent change whenever I speak different languages.

1|0
    0|0
  • ha! yes somewhat.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, It does. I don't notice very well about my own voice. But what comes to other people the change can be very obvious. For example, when one of my lecturers, changed the language, I was surprised to hear him in a different voice.

1|0
    0|0
  • No. You can still here my American accent when I'm speaking in Italian to my parents.

1|0
    0|0
  • yes it changes a lot! :o

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think I have a deeper voice when I speak English hahah. I don't know why.

1|0
    0|0
  • When I speak Portuguese, English and Mandarin, it sounds like a different person 😂

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes it sounds a lot different when I speak Spanish, English and Chinese.

1|0
    0|0
  • i don't know. never thought about it

0|0
    0|0
  • My voice change slightly when I speak my native language and English.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's because the accents of the words spoken are different depending on the language. It's normal :)

0|0
    0|0