Are we too dependent on technology?

I feel like eventually the world will become what it was in the movie Wall-E. Everyone was fat and they were all in motorized wheelchairs and literally everything they did was automatic and they lift a finger to do anything.

Are we too dependent on technology?

they didn't lift*
Just so everyone can get a clear idea at what im saying, here's a stupid example: You have a math test coming up. You only know how to do math on a calculator. You forgot your calculator. Now you fail your test because you didn't know how to do it on pen and paper. So basically technology is advancing everyday and its making tasks for us easier. But are we relying on this tech too much to the point where we dont know what to do without it?

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL that pic.

we really depend on it so much. imagine if the internet shut down, or if we lost electricity. =/
    now theyre freaking making these iCruze thingies u can roll around on lmao, because walking is too much effort u know. i mean they look fun but i saw vines about how they (jokingly) could be used in the olympics hahah i was like oh my gosh...
    icruze.com.au/.../...alancing-Scooter-590x590.jpeg

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel most people are too dependent on technology. I enjoy and embrace its convenience but I know how to function without it. 8-)

What Girls Said 10

• This is something I contemplate all the time. I study computer science, and so I've come to terms with the level of dependency we have for our technology. I'm torn. I want to advocate and contribute to the expanding field of technology, but at the same time I don't want our world to fall to that.

It's really funny that you use that example, because every time I think of technology ruining the future, I think of that and one other movie. Mr. Nobody. It's a great movie, but it got me thinking that technology could make life so easy that it's not even worth living. A terrifying thought if ever.

But at the same time, I think we can find ways to engineer technology away from laziness and towards more active roles. Take for example virtual reality. There have been several stories in the news about virtual reality, and it's very intriguing. If they engineered it to work with an interactive environment in real life then I could see some serious potential for incorporating physical activity with virtual reality.

• There is also the Kinect. If I did not have that I would probably not get as much exercise. To me excersizing by itself is boring and painful. Playing the Kinect helps stimulate my mind so that I do not focus on my pain.

• @Dipsy Pardon my delay, it's been some time since I've been on here.

Artificial intelligence is very controversial, and that's easy to understand. Many fear the creation of a technology that has the capability to develop its own intelligence through trial and error. I don't think there is a right answer as to whether or not it is wrong. Think about this:

There are three simple reasons why AI technology does not exist. First, the fear mentioned above. Should AI technology develop a desire to see us eradicated or should they see us as threats to ourselves like so many movies portray, we would obviously go to war with our own technology. Second, we haven't yet hit the benchmark of that technology yet. We're getting close, but it's not quite there. If we tried to push it before we fully understand it the technology could be unstable. Third, there is a HUGE controversy in itself of the personal rights and freedoms that an AI should have. Those are just the negatives.

• @Dipsy One more negative before I hit the positives. AI technology could be used for efficiency in many work industries. It would be similar to robotics, but there would be small variations (if imaginable).

AI technology has the potentiality for a lot of great things--the accomplishment itself is great as well. Think about how efficient work can be done. In an extreme perspective, AI technology could make nearly everything easier (now this can be good or bad depending on your perspective). But in theory, lets say that this is good. Now, we don't have to look at AI as simply something that is created to serve, but also to befriend (or maybe I play too many sci-fi games?). They could be great keepers of knowledge to assist in aerospace research (or many other fields). The great theory with AI is that they would develop their own knowledge as they go. They could potentially become smarter than us, but it could be used for good.

• I am disabled So I will not have much choice once I get older. My body will start to be affected by my condition as I age. I do excersize, and do physical therapy. Without technology I would probably have a even harder time doing things. I need a electric can opener because I can not use a hand held one very easily. I developed arthritis at a young age. I do think that people are way to obsessed with their phones, and texting. I hardly text, and when I do I mostly use my voice to text. When I was at Olive Garden I saw this family of four. The kids had tablets and where playing on then the whole time. I could not help but disapprove. If you are having dinner with family you should communicate, and talk.

• I definitely am :S

• Yes it is and honestly we probably won't have that happen because I think we are too beauty centric in this world and so as technology evolves we will find a way to stay fairly in shape while doing minimal work.

• I think people will be fat if they stay in a job too long that makes them a slave and before they know it, it's too late for a career change.

• Betch I mite be 😒

• I certainly hope we don't end up like the people on Wall-E because to be honest they were just sad. I think that that was the exaggerated idea of what will happen to the human race once we get more advanced. Not all of us are so independent on technology. We just need to be able to realize when too much is too much.

• Wall-E is a little far fetched but it isn't far from the truth.

• Yeah

It was supposed to make life easy.

We are becoming lazy.

Not all, some are still active.

• Sadly yes, its seems thats the direction things are headed...

What Guys Said 31

• When I graduated from high school there was no such thing as a calculator. We did all the math using pencil and paper. There was no internet, so we went to the library to do reports. The library is a place that has something called books.

When we left home, we couldn't contact anyone, unless we went there in person, or found a pay phone at a gas station.

There was no such thing as a microwave oven.

When I was very young, less than half of Americans had televisions... all black and white. Within a decade most had color televisions.

Most cars didn't have radios. If they had one, it was an AM radio. They didn't have air conditioning either. Come to think if it, most houses didn't have A/C either.

There was no cable TV. So none of the cable stations existed. We had a choice of three broadcast channels, that was it.

And you know what? Having all this stuff we have today, it's not clear if it's any better or not. Life doesn't really "feel" better, or worse. It's just different. I can still do math without a calculator just fine. Not a big deal. I can (and do) still go to the library regularly. I still don't have a cell phone. Never even used one before. I use a computer a lot, but don't need it. I can't think of any technology that I'm dependent on. Not being dependent means I'm independent. Some of it is nice, but I don't "need" it. Laying on back looking at the stars is good enough for me.

• I think it's important to keep in mind that technology is not the enemy here. And as with everything else in life, the devil is in the details. What I mean is that it isn't that we have really impressive technology at our disposal. It's how we use said technology. If we build faster and faster computers but lose the ability to think without them, have we advanced anything? Or have we just sat, spinning the proverbial wheels of progress gain technology, but losing understanding.
    I think it is important to keep advancing technology. If we are to survive the next hundred to two hundred years as a species, we will need ever-increasing technological ability to meet the challenges ahead. However, it is important that we never lose the very basic abilities of knowledge and problem solving in all of their forms. for when technology fails, all you have is your wits. And if you don't have that, then you have nothing to fall back on.

• im sure there will still be those kinds of people who want an active lifestyle and their hobbies will consist of participating in said lifestyle.

• Technology on itself is neither good or bad. It is just a tool. You can use a hammer to bash in baby skills, or to build a homeless shelter.

We need to trust more in science, and we need to take philosophy seriously. If we get our philosophies right, technology can only be beneficial to us. But ultimately, people are the problem, not technology.

• It's sad technology definitely has a big impact in our generations. I remember back in the 90's (was born in 1992), when we all played with our neighbors or showing up to our friends house to go out and play, limited internet with AOL (annoying buzzing phoneline to connect), AIM, Xanga, MySpace as our social media and getting hold of our friends. I remember living freely, and not being dependent. But now I always have my phone on me at all times, as social media, getting ahold of friends, doing things easier with a phone, not saying i'm marrying my phone, but it is kind of hard to live without it sometimes. It's gonn get a lot of us alive, but then there are people in this world who still wants to live with limited technology. It's quite sad when some people are at a concert, they use their phones to snap that moment, posting it on IG, FB, twitter, etc, instead of putting your phone down, and just enjoy the moment.

• Kids are slowly choosing to enjoy their time using Electronics than playing sports. I suppose eventually this will continue to where sports are a rare thing LOL.

All hail the mighty Fat giants that will soon rule the land.
    ( อกยฐ อœส– อกยฐ)

• The more advanced we get the more technology will become one with humans. The idea is to use technology to discorver bigger and better things

We are dependent om a lot of things. Technology is the least of our problems. A sustainable planet is more alarming - will earth be a viable place for us to live in say 100,000 years

• Yes, today the world in general depends on technology. I remember not being able to do anything at the bank when their system went down some time ago. This is just an example, technology is everywhere and today we depend on it.

• As a society yes we are. We need to keep in mind... cars are technology. The refrigerator.. technology. Artificial lights that allows us to work overnight shifts. POS systems. Classic cash registers. Locks. We use technology in damn near every part of our lives.

If you mean modern technology as in created within the past decade, then less so. I know many who don't own a computer and can live without a smartphone. We don't need them, but God are they convenient.

• Hell ya, when I was young you got on your bike and cycled 2-3 km's to go play with your friends outside. These days kids seem to be content with sitting at home and texting their friends!

There are a few that still do it but not near the number of kids outside on a nice day unless they have to!

• WALL-E is a beautiful satire. We delved into its symbolism and satire in my language arts class. It was all about that idea, but it had some optimism too, since the main characters were a product of technology. I like the position that it's similar to other communication revolutions like the printing press and postal delivery. They come with new habits, but they're only to a certain extent. And in the end, the internet and mobile phones are a catalyst for spreading ideas and doing what we want.

• Yes. I see it for example in my business which is being a DJ.
    Too many DJ's that cannot play and especially beat-match music without technology doing it for them. They would be totally lost if they had just two turntables in front of them.

This is the same for many other things in life. I feel certain "soul" gets lost in the things we do.

• Yes, I think we are becoming dependent.

• As a systems engineer and physicist, I can definitely assert "Yes, we are WAY to dependent on technology... and that will be our undoing."

• Technically speaking we've always been dependent on technology. That's how we evolved. Glasses are technology. Bows and arrows are technology and so are swords.

Technology is an extension of ourselves.

Only way our world will become like *that* is if we continue living in a consumerist, wasteful culture.

• Humans have always been reliant of technology. When they were first invented, the spear was on of the most technological advancements of the time. You could throw it long range and poke animals with it. It was a marvel,
    Humans need technology to survive or we will be beaten by every other animal on earth.

• I'm not but the majority of the modernized countries are, it's pathetic and sad really, if all technology were to be lost to us half of us would die within a few months if even that from not knowing how to survive in the real, natural world.

• We have always been dependant on technology even when we had slaves to do the labor for us. I do not think we will ever get to the point in the picture, since society is growing to awareness of health and active lives due to our stationary life styles.

• I would say yes. There was an episode of Doctor Who, Rise of the Cybermen, that tapped into our increasing reliance on technology. While the exact events depicted in that episode are far-fetched to say the least, I think something along those lines may not be so unlikely with the way things are going.

• I dont think we're ever going to get the point of floating wheel chairs because a good portion of the population stays fit and eats right. Also many countries dont use technology as much as first world countries

• That's a rather huge slippery slope. Just think this through for a second and you will see that the wall-e future is a ridiculous conclusion to draw from this for various different reasons.

• yes we are, and one day it will bite us on the ass

• Not everyone who uses technology 24/7 is fat, though. Look at Faker.

i.ytimg.com/vi/t2_xwYe5g64/maxresdefault.jpg

• I know that. But im saying are we relying on technology so much that we wouldn't know what to do without it. This is a stupid example but if you know how to do a math problem on your calculator, then your big math test comes up and your forget your calculator. you're screwed because you dont know how to do the problem with pen and paper. So just take this example and make it bigger

• Doy, we would all have died of old age at 24 if not for modern technology and medicine.

• Thats not really what I meant.

• Again not what i meant. I mean since tech is developing everyday, is tech going to develop to the point where we dont know how to do ANYTHING without it? What if some day in the future they come out with a cooking and cleaning robot thing and that whole next generation doesn't how to manually cook. Is life going to get the the point where everything becomes automatic for us and we wouldn't have to lift a finger to do anything.

• Yes, that's the dream. No one has to work and we can let go of money.

• It depends, I don't like some sorts of technology, but I love tv, computers and video game consoles.

• Since we invented the wheel and descovered fire the human race has been to reliant on technology so I am not worry it is in our genetic coding

Yes the world will probably change but I don't think for the worst like in the wal-e movie

• Heck yeah dude. I'm not even confident I could do basic math anymore; I Excel everything.

• I can survive without it, but hardly "live".

• Yeah about 99.8% possible, i don't know about the 0.2% chance

• Yes, definitely.

• More from Guys
    1