Why does cereal get soggy so fast?

My random question of the day.

I literally poured the milk onto my cereal, walked to my fridge to put the milk away, came back and it was already starting to get soggy.

Most Helpful Guy

• hmmm, could it be because cereal is not a high density food/carb. so it takes a lot of volume but not much stored calories. i imagine a high density like potatoes would take forever to soak up liquids.

• Makes sense. I just ate mashed potatoes too.

• lol Theshaft169 you must not know science. Go google low density carbs and high density carbs and see which one absorbs liquid faster.
      e. g. bread is low density, nuts are high density. now go take a bath with both. Nuts will probably not soak up any water, meanwhile the bread will probably separate.

• Pay no attention to the the sad excuse for a man above dude.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because the amount of air and lightness of cereal it absorbs liquid pretty quick that's why!

What Guys Said 18

• Because you put milk on it. If you leave out the milk, it won't get soggy. Fact!

• Put your spoon in the bowl, pour the cereal in, then the milk. As soon as you lift the spoon you get delicious crunchiness already sitting on that shiny silvery utensil. It also leaves that easy-to-get-into gap in the cereal. Wolf the rest down as fast as possible, then put your ingredients away.
    Works every time.

• It's a marketing scheme to make the cereal goo soggy fast to get you to buy more cereal, their theory is if your cereal gets too soggy before your finished your more inclined to trash the soggy cereal and get a fresh bowl. The key to preventing this is to instead of eating one big bowl, eat a couple of smaller bowls, that way by the time the cereal has a chance to get soggy the bowl will already empty.

• Pour the cereal in after the milk, it takes judgment but it helps coz it sits on top.

• Different cereals get soggier faster than others. That's why u don't pour the milk Then walk away!

• First works problems bestie!! Lol

• Maybe it's stale so it goes soggy faster? I'd say you have a good 5 minutes or so, but it depends on the cereal. Like fruit loops you have a while, but like chex mix or whatever you call that cereal it gets soggy before you can get done eating it.

• You used too much milk. Pour it and stir it around.

• Cereal = Mini dry sponges
    You got seconds to get comfortable and eat

• 1|0
  • The trick is to keep the top of the cereal pile above the milk by a good inch

• Lol too much work for a bowl of cereal! This is why I eat dry cereal most of the time.

• Oh that one becomes soggy so fast lol... it feels like oatmeal almost hahah

But so good

• Ewww lol it DOES

• Some cereals are like that.

• Because it is Porous, eadible and literally soaking in milk :P

• it taste better that way

• Same happens to my wang when I pour it to the girlfriend.

• Because you keep letting your boyfriend urinate in it. Stop your weird urine fetish and your cereal won't get soggy so fast.

• It's all about science, my friend...

What Girls Said 13

• Well, milk is in it. It's just like how bread gets soggy quickly from being put in water. Life is life.

• All those pores in your yummy crackly cereal. Put the cereal on top. What type of cereal are you eating?

• Lol, I actually like my cereal soggy. I must be weird.

• I don't know!

• Yo what cheap cereal you eatin?

Actually I wish my Froot Loops would get soggy faster cause I like them soggy.

• I knew who asked this before even seeing the username. XD

The struggle is real. Milk seeps into the cereal quickly.

• one of the reasons I don't eat it bleh, I also don't think it holds long I'm hungry within like 2 hours. as a kid fruit loops, trix, lucky charms were my favorite.

• That's how they get you. xD
    Buy more, spend more. Haha
    Or never buy those ones again.

• Ugh because it's like a bread or whatever and it's awful! I hate that! I love the first couple bites but then I'm eating mush.. EW!

• That's why I eat cereal and wash it down with milk.

• MILK FIRST. That's why it's milk first!! Ohhhh! I never understood why I did that but now I do.

• im dead.

• Lmao you tell her grandma!

• I don't know, but i hate soggy cereal

• It's one of the main reasons I don't go for cereal.

• Because the cereal that you used were probably very light weight like rice krispies for instance.