Can I call myself a hacker?

I'm not a hacker in the traditional sense (i can't hack into people's accounts) but i know how to modify source code. I can change the name of a youtube channel (purely aesthetical) and i managed to change my progress in Sister Location to night 4. I know the most basic console command (%appdata%) and i practiced coding using Scratch. Can i be called a hacker?

Most Helpful Girl

• Pretty sure you're not. Not really. Hackers are, afaik, that know how to mod programs or scripts that make doing things easier or at least like, more efficient or something. Hackers are people pretty proficient in scripting so by your own admission, you're not a hacker. Maybe aspiring but I wouldn't go telling everyone at your HS that you are. You do know more than the average layman though. Congrats.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 7

• Maybe.

A hacker is "a person who uses computers to gain unauthorized access to data", according to google.

Or go to here for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker

• https://www.hackerrank.com take the test and find out.

• the "traditional" sense of the word hacking is modifying how a program works. it has nothing to do with getting into someone's account (that's cracking). for some reason mainstream has these two words mixed up (and has had, since before you were born)

that being said, "i practiced[sic] coding using Scratch" doesn't really qualify a hacker. hacking is more like "i made a steam game work so it doesn't need steam anymore" - modifying how an existing program works.

the term "hack" is also used in programming to describe a coding technique otherwise known as "i have no idea what this does but it works now"

• A cracker in the traditional sense of the word is someone that breaks into systems but that got mixed up by a bunch of computer retarded people decades ago...

To clarify sense no one really seemed to have explained it correctly, a hacker is someone that modifies an existing program beyond it's original intention. Usually the modification is done very roughly and hacky... It generates sloppy code with inefficiencies, bad style, and likely is not robust. The code likely hasn't been tested, the person may have cut and pasted code from other locations but at the moment it seems to fulfill it's intended purpose...

• No it's really edgy to call yourself one.

• Yes. Hacking is about manipulating code, not always about defeating security.

• No that's not hacking.