Elizabeth Petrakis, A Millionaire's Wife, Cheats on Her Husband and Manages to Get Prenup Thrown Out in Divorce Court - Thoughts?

Interesting story that happened in 2013. I'd like to hear your thoughts

From the article:

" Before Petrakis married Peter Petrakis in 1998, she was presented with what her lawyer called a "heavy handed" prenup that would give her $25,000 for every year that she and her husband were married, but nothing more. She originally refused to sign it, but a few days before her wedding, she agreed to sign after her husband promised her he would do away with the prenup once the two began to have children. He did not destroy the prenup, even after they had children, according to his estranged wife.

The couple separated, and a court ruled on Feb. 20 that Peter Petrakis had "fraudulently induced" Elizabeth Petrakis to sign the prenup that hung only on a verbal promise.

But Elizabeth Petrakis' cousin Alisa Houraney claims that there was more to the marriage's end than a problematic prenup

Houraney and her now ex-husband Steve Houraney were married at a 250-person wedding in Garden City, N. Y., in 2007. But Houraney said that within weeks of the wedding, she suspected the affair.

Houraney said that she and her cousin Elizabeth were so close that Elizabeth was in the waiting room a few weeks later when Houraney gave birth.

["She was sleeping with him, and she was in the waiting room when I delivered my son," Houraney said. "[My husband] left me there, and went with [Petrakis] in the waiting room."]

Houraney and her husband were married for less than a year before splitting.

["I just feel that, somebody like that, people need to know the truth," Houraney said. "She says her husband is a good guy and he's a good person. He treated her like a princess, never was mean to her, never cheated on her. I don't understand why she's saying, 'poor victim' when you had a good life and you have to destroy two families."] "

Source

• Elizabeth Petrakis should be entitled to half this man's money
  • Elizabeth Petrakis should not entitled to half this man's money

615

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not voting because I don't think she should get nothing, but she should get something -- just not as much as she did. The reason is because I researched further in to this case and it seems there were witnesses of his verbal agreement between the two of them and a team of lawyers when the draft (s) yes, plural, of the prenup had been made. The case for fraud was proven, otherwise if it's just he said/she said it wouldn't stick. His contract was void therefore they were back at square one.

I wish more people would read more about these things than jump to conclusions. There are always holes in the story the media gives. this was one of them. I read the initial article and immediately thought, "No. I have to get more of this story." I actually hoped to find nothing to support this tramp, but unfortunately, the system did find a way to prove her ex husband was a liar, so I have to say, Peter Petrakis sort of did this to himself too.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sorry, but this is the type of crap that I wouldn't put up with in that situation. If that was me, I'd have beat her to death, paid someone to #WHACK her ass or made her life a living hell somehow #ThinkItsAGame. Basically, The legal system needs to be reworked because there isn't any way in hell that she should have even gotten a #penny of his money, in this case, . i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

They need to completely abolish all of the traditional marriage.. well divorce perks like alimony, prenups etc for women. UNTIL WOMEN GET NOTHING AT ALL FROM DIVORCING A GUY besides being separated from him. Since girls can make their own money these days so those 1900 rules need to be thrown out of the window. Then and only then will people get married for the right reason IMHO

Only women can get away with stories like these funny right?

What Girls Said 5

• Obviously this is very brief but based on the information given i don't really think she should get half.

by the way to all the dicks that say this is what feminists want, it isn't because I don't even think this is fair.

• But feminist advocated laws that benefit women, like alimony, which are paid out almost exclusively by men regardless of the situation. Hence blaming feminist.

• @hellionthesge I'm sorry I don't remember saying filling gals child support reports was okay or equal. I don't think it is.
      I think you should have to have an official check by a gynecologist to prove that Eire filling for child support. But them once again the problem spurs for poor women who don't have the money or access to gynecologist, thus their denied the child suppor they so desperately need. Then it becomes a problem because it once again raises the rich against poor issue.

• So the average child support payment is $430 and the average male salary over 25 is $3,400.

• So she cheated on him with her cousin's husband?

• I mean, it's a difficult call for me because I don't know anything about law. If the judge thinks it's fair, I support their ruling.

• From what I read, proving his fraudulence was ahead of anything else thereafter. There were witnesses to prove the verbal agreement existed on more than one account. When the time came to learn of her cheating it was then hoped her signature on a legal document meant something, but if the document is void, it does not. My problem was knowing whether or not a verbal agreement even sticks. I guess her first outright refusal to sign, and practically being coerced to sign was taken in to consideration. What did it for me was the witnesses, in a legal environment, who could attest to his lie. He sort of stuck it to himself. Too bad. Both are probably deserving of each other.

• @Ozanne I can't keep up with that type of mental gymnastics so I'll leave the law to the lawyers.

• I don't believe that anyone committed of Adultery should be entitled to anything substantial, not even spousal support. Her life was set. She chose to screw it up. In no way does she deserve a penny.

• I was i could make a few bucks like her.

What Guys Said 14

• under no circumstance should a man or woman ever be entitled to an ex spuses money possessions nor assets not even if they have no job or money.

if they have children there should be child support but it should only go to the children. if the spouse needs to raise the child support because they can not properly care for them from what they are receiving then the children should be sent to the more suitable parent i. e the one that can afford them (assuming there's no abuse or drugs or anything that would make them unfit)

this is pretty much my view on divorce and alimony

• yeah, well according to what i've been reading, she's entitled to half this guy's estate now.

• She's entitled to a prime uppercut to half her chin in my opinion Hahaha this is just another case proving how broken the system is and another reason I don't want to marry

• That's common sense. Too bad common sense isn't so common...

• The only thing to discuss is how we have created and allowed a system that punishes people who's lives where destroyed while rewarding the ones who destroyed it.

• *cough* Gold Digger!

*cough* Appeal, judge blatantly ignored the law!

NY contract law is VERY CLEAR:

Any contract worth more than $500 BE IN WRITING. So yea since we are talking about more than $500 here, the "oral" contract to nullify the prenup in the event of children is unenforceable.

• I thought that was what prenups were meant to avoid but if they are getting thrown out now - Chaos. I won't comment on case it is a basic he said/she said.
    I will leave you with the wise words of Samuel Goldwyn though
    "A verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on "

• She cheats and still ends up a winner in the eyes of the law?
    I'm losing faith in this legal system.

• I think that's ridiculous.

So if the guy cheats the guy gets fucked
    and if the girl cheats the guy is still fucked

• I wonder if the husband's oral agreement to nullify the prenuptial agreement is what caused this outcome?

Personally, I don't feel like she should be given a dime, but from a legal perspective I think the husband might have messed things up by making that promise to her.

• When are people going to learn that prenups are completely useless? and likely cohabitation agreements too.

Women justify absolutely anything to themselves based on how they feel. By all means fall in love but keep your finances, home and freedom to yourself.

• So she cheated with her cousin's husband, and now in her divorce she's getting half of that man's money... and there's still people that say the court is not one-sided.
    Another example of why marriage is becoming something a man should avoid xD

• I've said it before, and I'll say it again: men, do not get married.

• how the fuck did she get the prenup cancelled? what bullshit is that?

• skilled lawyering. Prenups are routinely thrown out if you can get a good enough lawyer to do it

• tbh im not sure how legit that verbal agreement was. It makes no sense to me that a person would go through the trouble of making a prenup to protect their money, but only allow it to be active for a couple years after being married. Literally makes zero sense

• The guy admitted to agreeing to tear up the prenup once they had children.

• Its fucked up, but guys still are getting married despite the court system being 100% stacked against them. A lot of men need to have a "It could happen to me" mentality.

• Look, alimony and shit like that need to be eradicated. There is very little good reason for it. It's exploitation, that's it.

And no, she shouldn't be entitled to half his money. She shouldn't be "entitled" to any.

But whatever. Women aren't exactly going to step up to the plate and make sure men are treated fairly in court. Best thing a man can do is simply not marry. If you don't give her the code to your vault, she can't access the riches.

• I am astonished, she cheated on him, then she legally stole half of his money.
    Why does a woman think it's her right to steal her ex's money?

• Narcissism, greed, the fact that the courts are setup to allow that very thing. And women wonder why so many men refuse to marry, lol.

• Read in to this further. Why did he think he had a right to coerce her to sign something she didn't want to, and trick her in to signing a legal document? Both were actually pretty greedy. Not just her. He did something that actually shot himself in the foot thinking he could skirt around the legalities. In a legal environment with witnesses on more than one occasion admitted his intention. Under those provocations, the document is considered void after the first child is born.

What I haven't found is why she wouldn't have sought out the prenup after the birth of the first child. She gave him three children, and it seems to have never been brought up. It had to have been on their minds back then.