Who moves on quicker after a break up: Men or Women?

in general, who moves on quicker after a break up?

• Men
  • Women

3750

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe women move on faster, they have a wider emotional support, during the break up stage, they openly do catarsis ( all of that discharge the negative impact of a break up and soften it), wile we guys hide our negative emotions, at least in public and by doing that they convert into: anger, physical, verbal agression or sexual promiscuity ( which do more harm than good). What I explained is something general, there are exceptions to the rule always, however I think women have more chances to get back with their ex after certain amount of time, than the other way around, why? Well by nature they are more susceptable to give it a second chance, is not the case for us men, we may take time to forget, just once we do there is no going back.

• never thought of it this way! I guess you're right, men tend to hide their emotions and bottle shit up. Women are open and reach out for help typically.

• @restore yeah, is something cause in part by culture and by the other hand biology plays a role.

• I totally agree

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm pretty sure women. As men don't have a lot of outlets to talk about their feelings. Its not "socially acceptable" for men to talk about these things because it's not "manly" or whatever. So they keep it to themselves and act like they've moved on. It's quite the trick they play. Great illusion and bravado that they put on.

Women on the other hand, cry, get mad, talk about their feelings openly. They get support from everyone around them. (which really helps) and then they gradually move on.

Ofc there are exceptions to every rule. But this is generally the case.

• Very true :(
      We aren't indestructible robots after all, we too are fragile and alive humans with emotions and feelings and can feel pain and hurt. It is very damaging to us and degrades our overall health to keep this all inside.
      But we cannot show our enemies our weaknesses. :(

What Guys Said 49

• if it was to take into consideration the time it took for the girl I loved with all my heart to move on, there will be no doubt that, girls move over a lot faster.
    I did not even get to blink and process what was happening and she now has children :)))
    But she was one of a kind, so I'd say it depends on a lot of factors: how much you cared in the first place, what happened, how long it lasted, what the the relationship like, what kind of personality you have (introvert or extrovert), what are your views about relationship in the first place, how you react after it happens in terms of: you try to keep contact or not, you hang out together, you cut the other person out completely, so on.

• Depends on the person , however women have several advantages over men , a woman has FAR more options than a man , especially a younger woman , for a start there are more men than women ( until old age ) , considerably more boys are born than girls , also on average , women are desired , men are not , therefore it is much harder for a man to win a woman over. Men are often single for several months , years... even decades , unless he puts serious work into himself to be desirable , on top of that a large percentage of women choose to stay single.

Girls / women have large , well developed support networks of both genders , men are on their own in most cases. Women also have ultra close inter female friendships , to give each other support , men do not have an equivalent.

• Women... because they have 6 other guys waiting on the back burner anyways lol. I don't think i've ever met a woman that was genuinely single. Dick and free food was always a phone call away.

• Hehe, women saying "men" and men saying "women"

• The one who has a stronger mindset and knows how to move on.

• In my experiences and from what I've seen, I believe women move on faster.
    Can't tell you how many times I've seen girls hook up with another guy just days after a break up. And then claim that they were just trying to "get over the guy" they were in a relationship with. I'm not saying guys don't do the same stuff.. but I have just seen it more in women.
    So I think girls move on faster physically and guys move on faster mentally, believe it or not!

• It's easier for girls to do this, doesn't mean her ex-boyfriend wouldn't be doing it too if he had the opportunity.

• Yes that's a point that I forgot to bring up! It is much easier for the woman to find a man to sleep with her than the other way around.

• Without a doubt, women.

Women and men are built differently, i say women but to a degree it still does depend. For men, allowing yourself to love a girl is a more conscious effort and takes time. But when you love a girl, it's pretty devestating if you lose them. Whereas with women, they fall in love quickly but can equally fall out of love quickly and get over it.

• I don't believe it to be as simple as someone's sex. More so about who is the most emotionally involved one, and where someone is at currently in their life.

If someone was fired and then their partner broke up with them. There's a good chance that they'll take the breakup much harder than their previous partner. Giving the idea that someone's gender more than likely will not overcome the intensity of outside variables.

• Depends on the person but in all honesty, it is women. Girls will say it's men but men don't have a number of resources girls do at their disposal.

• I feel like it depends on the length of time it's been and the age.

Under 30 and in a short term relationship I'd say girls move on quicker because they have more options whereas over 30 and long term I'd say guys move on quicker because they get bored and start to get more options

• I think it depends on the girl, the guy and how the relationship ended.

• The person that didn't care much about the other. It could be either the guy or the girl. Some even tend to rush into rebound relationships just because they still do have feelings for their exes with the intentions of making them jealous. So the answer to your question is pretty twisted and depends on who really didn't give a damn & who actually did.

• Relatively equal. It depends on the person, culture they were raised in, circumstances surrounding the break up and relationship, etc... So to speculate would be a fool's errand.

• The one who breaks up with the other

• It depends on the person.

• depends on their what?

• i think it depends on what kind of relationship they had and who did the break up can't say in general

• That's all depends on the circumstances and the individual

• Women

• The one who was less involved in the relationship.

• I guess it is not about male or female. It's all about 'seriousness ' .
    The one who is more serious about relationship will take more time to move on and vice versa

• It depends on how the relationship ended, who dumped who, and how people cope with things. It's an individual thing, not a gender thing.

• Who cares

• Depend, but I'd say men.
    My mom died not dating anyone else after they had me, but my dad fathered a couple more kids before settling down

• That's not because of moving on faster. That's because of having "right parental attitude". Most women consider having a good stepfather and they are very picky for the sake of kid. Most men do not care about kids they fathered, and they do not care since they are not the sole caregivers, and women are considered to be the main caregiver to the kids even in modern families. That's why men think their only duty is to put their sperm around as long as there is someone else to raise the kid and take the responsibility. Plus, most fathers I've seen also don't really care that a stepmom is good as long as their needs are satisfied, the house is clean, and the shirts are ironed. Well I have couple exceptions as good dads, but those are rare.

• @lyannamormont: you're a ridicule that you are already put to guys in friendzone.

• Nobody is evil or bad person or born evil. I am sure your dad is not as you said.

It is just the societal perception. What I am trying to say is that it is kind of a pressure on women to have a lower score and take care of house duties and taking care of kids for example. Versus men always are praised to score a lot of women (that's what I mean by putting sperm everywhere-just as a funny side note). These societal unconscious pressures shape most men and women's behaviors.

• I am unsure but i move on pretty rapid.

• Whoever has less emotions, keeping gender aside

• The dumper, obviously.

• No honestly. Most times I see dumpers come back because they realize they can't move on and they actually loved the person. By that time dumpee has moved on. The reason that dumper looks like moved on, most of the times, is because of relief of end of a relationship so they dont really think of what they "actually" feel, vs. dumpee cries himself/herself out for awhile then forgets by the time dumper notices wtf s/he lost.

These are all based on the assumption that it is not "dumper was obviously gonna dump" situation.

• The dumper doesn't always. Every single ex has tried to contact me in some form after a break up. By the time they reach out, it's way too late.
      At first dumpers have this pride that they took the relationship into their hands and made a decision. They feel happy and try to move on while the ex struggles. I feel like for my exes it takes a few months (more than 2) when it hits them. The dumpers realize what they are missing out on and that they regret dumping their ex. Only after the ex is gone do they miss them. They start to compare their ex to everyone, it brings back feelings, anger, and regret.

• Whoever is less invested in the relationship.

• Depends on the person?

• Whoever is the least emotional and cared less about the other one

• Women. This has been studied. Repeatedly.

Why do humans do anything?

• More from Guys
    19

What Girls Said 36

• Definitely a gender divide on this question, which is interesting since one sex cannot speak for another. However, like most people have already said, it depends on the person. My boyfriend just recently broke up with me after 5 years together. I know it is going to take time for both of us to move on. We both invested a lot of time, energy and emotion into our relationship, so it something we can just simply "move on" from. We still care for each other and just need time alone. I know for sure I am not ready to move on to simply fill an emotional void or fulfill physical needs (which both women and men sometimes do).

• In my experience, I've never really had a break up with a guy. But I did have something sorta like that with one, and it took me like 6 months to get over him all the way. Ofc he was manipulative, evil sociopath who just used me to make himself feel better which I now realize, (and I was 15 him 26 when we started talking so super creepy creep too.) I'd been needing emotional support though, so I was an easy target. He let himself become somebody I relied on, that I thought I couldn't live without, he played on the feelings of a young na├»ve girl and so obviously I was devastated and almost died when he shattered me. Although I also realize it was obsession and not anything like love, so yippy my first love isn't gonna be a douche bag. So really I think it depends on the mental state and if the person has confidence to realize that they don't need the other person. Like me, I had almost zero confidence and was pretty unstable, but now I have zero mental health problems and 100% confidence. Helps to get through things with friends ^^
    The only real relationship I've had is with a girl, and it was for three days so any way the woman moved on faster there. xD

• Ffs whether you have a penis or vagina doesn't make you move on quicker or slower.
    Whoever was the least invested and/or has better coping skills moves on faster.

• I don't think either sex gets over it quicker. I think most women follow a healthy pattern of heavy crying and stress release, to doing fun things to take your mind off of it, to finding a new so and being done whilst most men will ignore their feelings, fuck someone and come crawling back when the woman is over it..

Obviously this doesn't apply to all people since everyone copes differently, but this is what i've seen.

• I want to say that men move on quicker, and this is because I believe men just tend to be less emotional than women. For women, a break up was always ends in tears as its the "end of the world" whereas for men, it is upsetting but they know they could make something better out of it and live. Again, just based off of what I've noticed.

As for the hooking up thing, I think women get so upset, angry, and desperate to move on and that's why they tend to hook up and date other men. Men just falsely take this in "oh wow, she obviously moved on quick, she obviously didn't like me" or "she's a total slut" When in reality, she's struggling and in pain. Almost trying to fake happiness. Men do this too. Honestly, it's just a way to get the ex off your mind... but perhaps not the best way.

• It depends much more on the individual person and the specific situation than it does on gender. The person who got dumped or was more invested in the relationship is probably going to take much longer to get over it than the person who chose to end it. Some people also just move on more quickly than others, either because they've learned how or because they naturally bounce back quickly.

• I feel like women do. I know I do. I think it doesn't hit a guy as fast that they won't be back with the person they love while the girl was probably moving on in a sense before the relationship was over and they have their moment of grieving, but then they are ready to get back on the saddle soon after.

• Men are good at acting like they moved on fast, girls will be all sad and mopey for a little bit, but then move on pretty quickly. I move on pretty fast.

• Guys tend to latch on to the next girl asap and it seems like they feel lost if they are single. So they do if they have a back up chick, otherwise no.

• Interesting. I hear the same but in reverse, ergo, women having just-in-case dudes :O

• @Unit1 For me personally I never have a just in case dude. I break up with a guy and stay single for a long time afterwards by choice.

• Men.

• Whoever had one foot out the door. Whoever broke up with the other. Whoever had other options. It's not a sex Bc different relationships have different people and reasons for breaking up

• It's not a matter of gender. I usually don't care really quickly like days later because I'm too busy for that, but my last had me stuck for years because I was led on, controlled and had high hopes since he was my longest most serious. He used head games to get me hooked, not falling for that again.

• I feel like its the one who breaks up with the person that don't really care that much... The guys who broke up with me, just didn't care at all, even one of them had a girlfriend a week later.

• Of course this depends on the couple, but looking at it scientifically, women project more emotions then men. Some even think because of this, women live longer because men deny and push back at their feelings, causing stress on the brain. Because of this, you would expect women to have a more difficult time with breaks up, since men are more likely to cry over it than move on/deny their feelings.

• I have been dating two persons on internet and I wasn't so love so I moved on immediatly..

Like if he would break up with that means he doesn't love me? Why would he date me anyways?

It depends on the boy actually.

[I don't understand the point of love]

• It's not a gender thing, it's who's more attached to the relationship.

• I think it's woman

• My experience, ladies do. (Ofc me and my ex couldn't get over each other equally, but I initiate 100% of the blocks) But I was dating a chick and couldn't get over it. It really depends!

• First of all that depends on the length and intimacy of the relationship. If it was a healthy/long relationship, then at first probably the dude, and later on they look at the relationship in hindsight and realize what they've lost is irreplaceable. However, while women might take longer, I feel like once they get over it, it's for good. Varies though like anything else.

• it would depend on the type of person and the situation of who broke up with who. also whoever cheated on who is a variable.

• Yep, I believe women move on way quicker. At least, I move on really quickly.

• I'd say guys move on quicker

• It depends on the people and the situation.

• Guys

• It really depends on the person, the context, and the emotional investment in the relationship.

• Whoever left the relationship mentally and emotionally earlier on first

• it could go either way

• the one who was having an affair, or had someone in mind to be plan B

• It actually depends on the situation

• Men move on quicker

• More from Girls
    6