Boyfriend says he still loves me but wants to break up?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for more than a year. In a few weeks' time, I'm leaving the country for university.

Two days ago, my boyfriend expressed his concern about LDR and for our future if we continue our relationship (how he's worried he might get jealous if I meet other guys for projects, how he is not mature enough to do taxes and all, how our relationship might affect our future career, etc.).

We're now on a break, he wants some time to himself to decide on whether to continue our relationship or to break it off. If we break it off, he wants us to still be best friends (while ignoring our feelings for one another, which I think might not work). He claims that he still loves me (I still love him too), but he has doubts about our future and would prefer to break it off now.

Guys and girls, what are your thoughts on this?

What makes me really upset is the fact that he doesn't want to give it a shot, but I understand his part of the concern as well.

56

Most Helpful Guy

• Long distance relationship is like torturing. You can't be with them even though you can speak to each other.

He loves you but he has no faith it will work out and he's letting you go so he can move on and find love with someone who is there and not far away

Most Helpful Girl

• It is a valid concern. I also doubt I could do long distance but I suppose if I REALLY loved a guy I could manage it as my love for him will exceed everything else. But is tricky and brings a whole new set of challenges.

What Guys Said 5

• Attempting to continue a relationship over long distance can put a lot of strain on you both to the point where you no longer consider eachother friends, especially since you haven't been together very long. Use university as an opportunity to meet new people, if that doesn't work out then perhaps when you come home you can pick up where you left off.

• It didn't (LDR) work for me, two months actually. Now that its over, she's not on my mind or in my heart. Maybe when you're done with college, you two can rekindle what you had. Or try & don't wreck it.

• sorry to say but i think he is being realistic and honest

• I never understood the "I love you but it's time to end things" bullshit. If you love someone, how is your next reaction to end it? I guess LDR are tough

• its always hard to be in LDR. He might be realistic at this time. You have to stand with him that might helps him.

What Girls Said 4

• I think it's hard for him to be in Ldr, but still he likes you and wants to keep you as a backup plan if he doesn't find some other good girl during your being away

• so if he doesn't give it a shot that means that he's not attracted to you the way you are

• Why did you go to a college in another country?

• If he truly loves u he'll fight for ur relationship

• It's the distance as he's being realistic in that sense that they usually don't work