Is there a big emphasis on personal space in your country's society?

• Yes
  • No

75

Most Helpful Girl

• When walking downtown its impossible for you to walk with that much space around you.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• depends on inhabitants/sq km. if it's a big city then I assume everyone is happy to simply get around.
    Think at Barcelona during summer or Venice, Firenze, London.
    Country I'm in right now doesn't really have a thing for personal space as there aren't that many options, not much of a choice. I assume if given the possibility we would act as the Finns, Norwegians, Swedes or Danish.
    But how can you when city is rather small-ish but population is big? malls are packed/crowded, supermarkets are crowded, public transportation is crowded, especially the subway at peak hours when people try to get to work. You either want to be un-employed or simply get over your personal space policy and hop into the metro.

I guess the whole personal space derives from our animal times, when others approaching was meant as a threat.
    It can definitely still be dangerous, but we need to evolve don't we? pay more attention, read body language better, understand the situation and the big picture (where you are, who is standing next to you, if he/she is carrying something, what is that, what objects are around you) and you will be fine.
    I always predicted behaviour pretty well. I even predicted when a group was going to become aggressive to me out of the blue. I just noticed something and the alarm in my mind simply went out for some reason. And yet I was right, they approached in a rather aggressive way.
    I was already mentally prepared to fight, they were surprised by my reaction, so they gave up.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE