My boyfriends' mom dying, stress at work.. dumped me all of a sudden. WTH?

my boyfriend has a very stressful job, his mom is dying from cancer, he's been hit financially and he's very stressed.

He suddenly broke up with me, saying that he can't support me emotionally, he needs less stress and he's not feeling it?

I feel that he's not thinking straight, I Haven't texted him in 2 days to give him space

Would this be considered a temporary outburst and not mean to break up with me? would if be that he'd come back?

138

Most Helpful Girl

• Same exact thing happened with me and my boyfriend... we have broken up twice due to his inability to cope with stress even though I offer quite a lot of support to him. He has mentioned that he has never been with someone who cares about him as much as I do, but still he feels the need to handle his stress alone.

I think our situations are happening because men have this idea that they need to be strong all the time and when they can't be strong, then there is something wrong with them and it is a huge blow to their ego, especially when it involves work. Men tend to identify their worth and status from work, just like women identify with our looks. Maybe he rashly ended things because he no longer felt worthy of a relationship. We may never know the true story. All I can say is that you are not alone.

My (ex) boyfriend is in a bad place due to stress at work, not being over a previous relationship, as well as family issues. I would even go so far and say that he is depressed due to several symptoms he has been showing lately too. If your boyfriend is depressed, then he is not in his right state of mind and you need to be extra understanding and patient if you want to get back together. Try googling something like "my boyfriend is depressed" to help you understand his frame of mind right now.

As for the plan of action, I would recommend something similar to what I have been doing. First I sent him a text saying, "Thinking of you... I hope you're doing well. I understand you are going through a hard time and aren't ready for a relationship right now and that's OK. I care about you as a person, and if what you need is a friend, then I'll be a friend. Like I said before, I'm not going anywhere. I'm here for you. Miss you." He really liked that and thanked me for being so understanding. I then stuck to my word, I didn't text him and I gave him space. So far we have been "broken up" for almost a week and we haven't gone more than 2 days without talking. He has initiated conversation several times. When your guy reaches out to you (and he will, just be patient) keep it light, positive, fun, and short to make it clear that you won't bring any new stress into his life at this time. Remember, he is not in his normal frame of mind due to the stress, so don't have any expectations right now. Just go day by day and enjoy your time with him, when he does reach out.

Good luck! :)

• I'm worried if I tell him I want to be his friend, he will never want to get back together

• I'm sorry your in the same boat :( his friend is a girl but he doesn't have feelings for her. She's like a guy to him

• HI! I don't know how old this post is or if you have any resolutions. I am going through the same thing right now. My guy is in his last 7 months of a tough medical program and we found out his mom is dying from lung cancer in March. we were so incredibly in love... then he wouldn't see me for the last 4 months... and two weeks ago, he told me he had no more romantic feelings for me. he loves me as a best friend but he wants me to move on. he texts me every day and talks to me, so I am trying to just be a friend to him. but it is so hard when i am still so in love with him. we were talking about getting married for the last two years. I understand that grief masks anything, even a love as deep as ours... but for him to not feel anything is really painful for me to deal with. How are you guys doing?