Why you should date other races!

I want to share some fun facts, tips and advantages on interracial dating. I personally believe it should just be called 'dating' but anywho...

TIP: Do not assume that just because a person is from a certain culture or ethnic background that the person fits the stereotype of all people from that ethnicity. There is a great deal of diversity within a culture. Some people may "look" of a certain race or ethnicity but, may not identify with that specific group. When dating people of other races, just because you have a friend who is similar in culture or ethnicity, do not assume you know everything about his/her culture. Understanding the similarities and differences can help prevent misunderstandings.

ADVANTAGES OF DATING OTHER RACES

Learning about another culture or religion

Why you should date other races!!

Being exposed to new ways of thinking.

Having an incredible new experience with someone you love and respect.

Possibly learning a new language.

It keeps things interesting.

Breaking stereotypes

When you date someone of a different race, it gives you and your partner opportunities to break negative stereotypes about your respective races. It also provides a counterexample to ignorant and hateful stereotypes, and helps others become more open-minded and accepting.

Why you should date other races!

You should broaden your horizons

The only failed relationship is one where you don’t grow as a person. Even relationships that don’t last forever can and should be mutually beneficial. Being open to “other” kinds of women and men offers a broader perspective of the world, including how you see it and how it sees you. And that positions you to make choices about things in your relationships that really matter, because you have grown in self awareness.

Why you should date other races!

It's a good strategy!

Finding someone special is always a numbers game, so some level of strategy will do you good. If you’re statistically more likely to meet someone more your speed by checking “other” on ethnicity, then that’s just a well-informed decision. Well-managed decisions tend to offer better outcomes. Time is also a factor and plenty of it is wasted on people who just aren’t good for you. That doesn’t mean that people of your own race aren’t good for you, but if you are limiting yourself based on race, you’re also limiting your chances to find happiness. More options equals more chances.

Why you should date other races!

Why you should date other races!

Variety is the spice of life!

We all need it. A break from the norm. A chance to try something different. Variety enriches all other factors in your life: the food you eat, the places you visit, the shoes on your feet and the hair on your head. Why wouldn’t injecting a little spice into your dating selections be just as beneficial? Lots of women and men fall into the “tried it, didn’t work” category when it comes to dating people of other races, but bad dates are inevitable no matter what race the other person is. If at first you don’t succeed, try again. You may just find your soulmate.

Why you should date other races!

It's the 21st century

The economy, business and information infrastructure is global — and yet your dating pool is ultra-local. Now more than any time in the past, women are empowered with the benefit of choice. Exercise it! (This goes for men too).

Why you should date other races!

Why you should date other races!

I'm NOT saying that we should all exclude our own races and strictly date people of other races, that's just ridiculous. If you're smitten with someone the same race as you then by all means, go for it!!

I do think that times are changing and the "norm" should be done away with. Rules are meant to be broken, if your parents or grandparents forbid you to date someone outside of your race you should say screw it and do it anyway!!

Why you should date other races!

We do everything else our parents tell us not to, we're all human beings so why carry on with flawed 'traditions'? Ask yourself, why is being with another human being who only looks different from me considered so unorthodox? A better question is why do you listen to people with that flawed way of thinking?

You can't help who you fall in love with and anything that gets in the way of true isn't love at all. If you're not part of the solution then you're apart of the problem.

Why you should date other races!

The only thing we're sure of in this world is change. Things are always changing and changes in our lives can happen at any time. Sometimes change is good.

Why you should date other races!

3660

Most Helpful Guy

• Do it guys, totally worth it. This is coming from a guy who grew up in the south in a racist family. Benefits outweigh the cons, even when the family may not appreciate it. Lots of great surprises in store for those that venture outside of their race or culture.

I've gone from being totally against it, to being curious about it, to doing it. It has changed my outlook on the world and on women in many ways. I'm now able to appreciate the beauty of all women, and it has enriched my life exponentially.

Most Helpful Girl

• I love this.

• Those that argue with your point clearly are those who do not broaden their horizons like you mentioned.

• Thank you! :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 59

• Great take.
    Personally outside of White girls I'm also interested in Latino, Asian and most recently Persian girls. However Black girls are just not my type. Never found them attractive even when they have the same body type of an attractive White girl.

• I used to not be attracted to black girls. Then there were a couple that caught my eye and I dated them. Now, I find myself very attracted. May not happen the same for everyone, but that is what happend for me, and I'm glad it did. You're missing out.

• @asiag299 Aww thank you!! That's very sweet of you :). Nice to actually hear it from a strong black person herself. Keep up the good work and attitude. You're a very positive person too, that's good

• Why should we go out of our way to date another race? Date who you like, skin pigment is unimportant.

• Obviously I did NOT mean people should only date other races and exclude their own. That's not the message I was trying to portray. I should have picked a different title cause it seems to be the only thing a lot of people are focused on. Thanks for your opinion. :)

• I don't care about culture or religion.

It would be disrespectful for me to date someone for "aren't i just the little stereotype breaker? Take that society!" reasons.

It is possible to just be legitimately attracted (or not attracted) to one race, certain individual races, or every race.

Doing it for social justice reasons is so tacky

• I doubt most people do it for social justice.

• Thats true :/

• @jjmarvin Obviously I did NOT mean people should only date other races and exclude their own. That's not the message I was trying to portray. I should have picked a different title cause it seems to be the only thing a lot of people are focused on. You're absolutely right tho. :)

• I see nothing at all wrong with interracial dating/marriage. Sadly, all too many people do. You cannot help who you fall in love with. The heart wants what
    the heart wants. Although many people don't see things this way.

• Interracial dating is something that ignites my passion inside out.

Being with someone else different and exotic to me just feels mystical.

I love the attention and stares you get while strolling with your partner in public.

• I think people should date individuals and if they happen to be a different race than that's cool and if they aren't then that's also cool too. I don't think people should actively seek it out just like I don't think people should actively seek out people with the same skin color as themselves. I just think we should treat people as individuals.

• Now, do you think it's fair to actively seek out a person of a particular culture due to interest or similarity/familiarity?

• @coconutelixir I kind of think everyone is an unknown when we are getting to know them regardless of race.

When it comes to perspectives of beauty, I think a lot of us are taught what's beautiful growing up and even if we don't intend to be hateful or show prejudiced, we are all raised in a society that still puts a lot of emphasis based in the color of our skin and desirability based off of that. So no I don't think people are motivated by hate but I think we are all influenced by it whether we realize it or not. It could also be cultural stereotypes that we are influence by in the same way. People's beauty standards are diversifying more and more though so I think that's a step in the right direction. I remember there was a time when my beauty standards for women were more racially based but that changed as I explored new ideas, watched foreign films, and learned about different cultures (I love traveling). In the end I think beauty is pretty fluid and our tastes can really change.

• O ya, every one of us is an unknown to the other, I meant the difference in culture adds another unknown on top of that. Speaking for myself, no one in my extended family has married outside the ethnicity. It wouldn’t be received well, and though they could warm up eventually, it would change things. I can’t imagine a life with someone not having the same relationship with my family. That kinda sacrifice and unknown puts me off even trying, so I don’t. If that pressure wasn’t there, I wouldn’t mind a person’s background. I guess for me, family and culture does not affect attraction, but it affects pursuing the attraction.
      Back to racial beauty, I am with you. I do notice the world is heading towards a more open-minded perspective. It’s nice. When you stop and think about it, it’s weird how much emphasis has been placed on this 1 feature (skin color) compared to all other features. For some, a person’s skin color can divert attention from their eyes, lips, hair, style, personality, etc

• I don't think everyone "should" date someone of another race unless they want to. But if they do that will also be a beautiful thing : ). I'm sure you didn't mean EVERYONE should only date outside of their race, but the tone of the take was leading that direction. Just thought I'd point that out

• I agree.

• Hey what if everyone STARTED to date, have sex with and marry, exclusively outside their race? I think it's a beautiful and hot concept and with mostly mixed children being born from now on? What an entirely different world this would be, eliminating racism is embracing each race and all becoming one a part of the human race! Gets my heart racing thinking about it!

• @Mandycandy42 that sounds like a wonderful thing.

• Meh. I still don't see girls in the West dating Indian or any other brown or dark South Asian guys. Unless they look white, are super tall, or really rich, I just don't see it happening. But I'm open to dating a girl of any race if she was into me.

• I love brown and dark skin. Reminds me of caramel and chocolately carob lol. I love all skins though.

• Sometimes I wonder if they're trolling or just really that weird lol.

• cool story bro... perhaps your moping is the issue.

• *Should*... umm that sounds a bit imperative. You should date whoever the fuck you like. Weather or not you should be ABLE to date other races is whole another matter. But purposefully seeking out individuals of other race to date, just because it's "the right thing to do", and "LOL it's the 21 century, you close minded ractionist" sounds like a load of crap to me.

• Obviously I did NOT mean people should only date other races and exclude their own. That's not the message I was trying to portray. I should have picked a different title cause it seems to be the only thing a lot of people are focused on.

by the way, did you read this part:
      "I'm NOT saying that we should all exclude our own races and strictly date people of other races, that's just ridiculous. If you're smitten with someone the same race as you then by all means, go for it!!"

Go have a seat somewhere.

• you're also inspiration for all those guys/girls who might want to try it but are afraid of the ridicule !

• What a Horrible post.
    You should only date someone if your attracted to them. If you mesh with them in a way that will make your life happier and more fulfilled. You don't date someone that you are not attracted to just to "open yourself to new things". That is the worst possible reason to date anyone.
    I am attracted to white women. I don't have anything against others, I just don't find them sexually appealing. There is no way I would ever date them.
    honestly this take is wrong on so many levels it is just sad.

• I have dated 2 latinas and 1 black girl. It's never been a problem for me. In fact, I think I prefer them.

• Learning about another religion does nothing if it proves to be a false one. Except let you know why those under it are broken in the ways they are.

Learning another culture can be useful, but don't ever let them step on or disrespect yours. That's what I always hated about "multicultural" classes and events: I have to respect theirs, when I don't know it, when they're on my turf, but they can knowingly disrespect mine and disrespect me with impunity. That's wrong.

Culture schmulture. If she has an acceptable personality, I can work with her. If she's a bitch, she's a bitch. Period. If he's a prick, don't tell me that "another culture" justifies it when that behavior is considered universally prickish.

As for this "it's the 21st century" rhetoric: Right and wrong don't change, just because of a damn calendar.

• So dating someone of a different race is inherently wrong? Why?

• @9mfeo Let me put it another way: I don't mind that they're a different color. But when they abuse me, I can't stand it when others who look the same as me go out of their way to make excuses for them, and act like it's "okay" that they abuse me, simply because they're "different." Abuse is wrong, period.

• @ObscuredBeyond "Let me put it another way: I don't mind that they're a different color. But when they abuse me, I can't stand it when others who look the same as me go out of their way to make excuses for them, and act like it's "okay" that they abuse me, simply because they're "different." Abuse is wrong, period."

I can understand that. You shouldn't have to take being mistreated by anyone of any race.

• I'm all for it but it shouldn't be "why you SHOULD" One might choose to date interacially just because they like the person who happens to be another race, not because they want to learn about another culture or keep up with the times, that's dumb.

• While you are right, in actual application (at least for me) dating outside of my race opened my eyes to a lot more women that I really never considered before. Of course, I did grow up pretty sheltered.

• I never cared for race. I care about culture. In culture comes similarity. I mean "pop" culture as well as ethnic culture.
    For instance, a Black, White and Asian person can be video gamers. They are part of the same culture; have some people of the opposite sex in that mix and romance can happen independent of race.

• I am Asian American, but I do like Women of every race as long as they are Christian, because I have Christian beliefs. It's just my choice. Also even though I do like Women of every race as I mentioned above I usually prefer White, or Hispanic Women too. However remember that this is just only my opinion too. :).

• I don't understand why there's this sudden effort to push interracial dating as almost an imperative. Traditionally, black women and white men have not been attracted to one another. Black girls have thought "white boys" were unmasculine and unattractive, and white guys have considered black girls unfeminine and unattractive. Now, out of the blue, black girls want to date white guys? Doesn't make sense.

I think the real issue is that black women are facing a shortage of black men to date. So many black men are either locked in prison or dating non-black women that the prospects of black women have become substantially diminished. This has necessitated the campaign by black women to convince non-black guys that they're interested and a good option.

• Or, you know, there's no logical reason to date exclusively within your own race.

• @asiag299 No, I won't play the dozens with people on the internet. It seems petty and childish to me. I'm glad to have a real discussion about this, and I appreciate the fact that you took my views at face value without labeling me a racist just because I don't have a Kumbaya view of race relations.

I am open to friendship with black people, but it always seems so strained. I watch football games on Saturdays with a bunch of guys at my college. We usually get together at 3 and have a watch party for 4 or 5 hours every other Saturday. There's one black guy who comes, and he always seems so uncomfortable around us. He's a nice guy, but you can just tell he feels out of place. That's why I think segregation still occurs. Black and white people just don't feel comfortable with one another. I'd say this is reason #1 why interracial dating isn't more common. We just don't have the commonality that makes for easy relationships, so we go where we're wanted.

• I understand what you mean even now sometimes I get awkward around a huge group of white people and it's not because I'm racist. For awhile it's been seen as weird or taboo to have friends of other races without being seen as trying to act white or act black (seriously how can you act a color) It was just easier to hang out with people the same race as you. In this aspect I most definitely agree with you. Most of the time we don't feel comfortable around each other and do to our history it kind of makes sense. So you're probably right about that being a reason why it's less common for black and white people to be in interracial relationships with each other.

• While this is great and all and I personally don't care much about race beyond the associated culture if they identify with it; I somewhat wonder about the genetical effect of mixing severely different genetic populations. It might be a good thing. It might be bad. It might depend on the two mixed population. Maybe it is coincidental. There might be statistical research on it. Might be interesting.

• Though I have no personal issue with interracial dating or interracial sex, I do think there's a certain cultural, social and maybe even a biological imperative for people of different races to actually have children within their own race (spanning from things like the child growing up culturally confused to things like social prejudice).

I do find it interesting how white men and black women apparently have the lowest divorce rate in America, though. I'm genuinely curious why that is, it may just be because not many black women and white men get married to begin with so the statistics are lessened by default, but if there other reasons I'd love to know.

• The only ' race' i see is the human race

So, I disagree with this take

• Technically then, you should support this take.

• Lol dude thats what the take is about.

• So you see a person's ethnicity then right?

• Break the stereotypes lol I'm still going to stereotype everyone even if they don't like the things or are irritated people need to be able to poke fun at their race and stop being such pansies xD

• I have a preference towards a certain type of race. Even though I have that preference, I date women of any race because I find that they're all attractive.

• I like your take but I don't think we share the same thoughts about it. You should date who ever you feel strongly attracted to regardless of their race, we are all in fact humans so why only date someone from your own race, that's my philosophy.

• This post is blatant benevolent racism, I request it be removed and a warning be assessed to the poster.

• I`m not against interracial relationships. I have been involved time and time again with lovelies of the East Asian persuasion. My personal opinion is that you should love the person you love. After all, that`s a lot better than marrying a person you don`t love – or not marrying at all.

However, there is one possibly thorny problem--what if the ratios of the couples are not equal or close to it?

One unexpected effect of the growth of interracial marriage has been to increase resentment toward whites felt by black women and East Asian men. Black men are about 3 times more likely than black women to be romantically involved with white men. And corrpondingly, East Asian women were 3 times more likely than East Asian men to be paired with white women.

Result: a fair number of lonely and annoyed black women and Asian men. And they, not white men or white women, are those most opposed to interracial relationships.

• I have no problem dating other races, I just don't find people of most other races attractive.

• We are not obligated to date other races if we do not want to.

• Nice take

I damdate who I want from any part of the world screw the nay sayers ! XD

• I've been doing this since 2006 where's everyone else been at?

• Am black dated a girl from peru But sadly things didn't work out since she lets her parents make all her choices for her. Her Parents decied to forced us apart she creid for weeks but accpeted it and blamed me for what happened. So tbh i really didn't learn anything That many good things from her... the bad out weighs the good. But i say i learned 4 good things from dating her 1. Never make your life all about your girlfriend 2. Never put your girlfriend needs before yours=give up joining the marines for her.. because thats what she wanted it was my dream But she become my new dream 3. Always be yourself and stand up for what you belive in 4. If you done all you can too get along with someone= her parents and all they do is juegue you then too bad for them. Am dating her would i like too earn their respected? yes But won't change who i am for anyone agin.

• Show more from Guys
    29

What Girls Said 35

• There's too much conflict that comes with that. If I brought home a non-white guy, it would not go over smoothly. Additonally i dont want any children i have to be confused about where they belong.
    Plus, I don't find non white guys attractive. Call me racist or whatever... doesn't change anything. And like someone else said, you are you to tell me I "should?"

• who are you*

• Obviously I did NOT mean people should only date other races and exclude their own. That's not the message I was trying to portray. I should have picked a different title cause it seems to be the only thing a lot of people are focused on. by the way, not all mixed people have identity issues. I'm surprised people are still using that excuse lol.

• I understand and agree with some of what you said but we shouldn't have to be influenced to date someone of a different ethnicity or race.

The #1 reason as well as only reason we should want to date someone of a different race is because we're into them and it just so happens that the color of their skin is different if that's so happens to be the case. If they're the same then that's fine too. We should be encouraging people to date or be with who they want regardless of their race.

• That's one of the points I was getting at. If you like someone you shouldn't shoot down the idea of dating them just cause they're a different race.

• People should date whoever they are attracted to, regardless of race. Though I do think people should put the effort into getting to know people outside their own little bubbles, both platonically and romantically.

• Here's how I see it: eventually, when most of the bitter racists die off (so like 50-100 years in the future), not being open to other cultures will be the unusual thing. You'll be ridiculed for holding on to an archaic idea like mayonnaise only goes with mayonnaise and boiled, unseasoned chicken breasts. Don't get caught on the wrong side of history, friends: be open to love, whatever culture it may come from.

• But what happens when the opposition comes NOT from white men or women, but from Black Women and East Asian men, as it does now? (See my comment above, or is it below?)

• @Curmudgeon as a mostly white person, I can only write from my own perspective.

• I think people should be more open minded about dating outside of their race when it comes to dating but I wouldn't say they should feel obliged to date other races.
    Personally race has no influence in dating for me, but being the only black student in my school I ended up dating a white guy.
    But I wouldn't go out of my way to date someone of a particular race, including my own.

• Nice my take! Being mixed myself, I never had "identity issues" .. I always knew I was human, and not what my skin color is. I don't understand how people thing it's wrong or bad to date someone who isn't their "skin color" , sounds a bit ridiculous to me. At the end of the day... We all bleed the same color, and we are all human..

• I don't know why but I feel like black people with white people look sort of odd depending on their features. Like a really dark black person with a really pale white person looks somewhat bizarre. I don't know I guess it's the contrast. I don't feel that way though if it's a light black person with a tan/light white person, that looks a little better to me. But all the other kinds of interracial dating look fine, it's just that one pairing. And no I'm not racist lol, I'm a biracial person myself it's just a personal opinion.

• I think the contrast is interesting and beautiful.

• That's cool for you. In my personal opinion it's bizarre.

• I thought about it many times. Yesterday our Biology/evolution teacher told us that the more a person is different from us, the more chances our offspring will be stronger...
    But other than that, I think it would be very fun and interesting to learn and be in touch with another culture! But there are obstacles as-well...

• I've been on dates/slept with/kissed white guys, Asian guys and black guys. I'm totally into multiracial!

I love the couple pictures in this <3

• Have you noticed anything different between each of the different races?

• @QooLipBite The Asians were very outgoing, ambitious and ridiculously optimistic and positive. Usually very successful and drove expensive, nice cars. Quite forward though and hands on. Still nice company though.
      The black guy was very nice, had similar views, not all hands on or at all creepy. Very laid back and easy going. Relatively successful but happy with what he had. Respectful of me.
      White guys I've dated have been in low paid jobs, but usually have some kind of hobby they love and work hard for. Not fully respectful of women and quite confrontational/aggressive. Can sometimes be romantic.

This is just my own person experience, not a generalisation - before someone comes in to attack.

• Thanks for your answer :)

Exceptional observation skills 😄

• My boyfriend is Lebanese, I am Australian, and I can agree with all your points. Especially the first one. What's more is that I'm gradually picking up Arabic! Yay!

• I think it's great when people date others outside of their race. I'm white and have dated 2 black men. I didn't date them just because of their race of course but it broadened my horizons and let me experience a different culture.

• It would be a disaster if they clash culturally. I understand why most would date only their own. Cultural differences can be a sensitive area to broach because it is in with their physical , ancestral heritage and
    emotional identity. Its a huge slap to their long term ego!

• I mean, like, that's probably only really relevant if one is a fourth or fifth generation American and the other is a newly landed immigrant. If you're both from the same country and have similar immigration times, your cultural identity is going to be pretty much the same.

• Well yeah all of these things are nice but at the end of the day I will date whoever I fall for, regardless of his race. I'm not going to pick a guy on purpose just because he isn't white. If I fall for him, good, if I don't, whatever. You SHOULD only date people you've fallen for. You SHOULDN'T date someone of another race just because they're of another race.

You get all these benefits just by befriending people of other races too, a relationship is not a must.

• I should have titled it differently, everyone seems to be up in arms about the title even tho I stated no one should exclude people of their own race.

• Stupid are those who:
    - stereotype
    - are afraid of doing it because they are afraid of the ridicule. Why should you sacrifice your happiness for what people might or might not think of you?

• Really great take, the first point is so important. I actually broke up with my last boyfriend who was of a different race (well this contributed, it wasn't entirely the reason) because of the lack of understanding of my culture and the plain ignorance towards it. I felt like I had to pretend to be like him and do things his way when I do things differently because of how close I am with my culture. I really urge anyone who's going to date interracially to find out how close the person is with their culture and be sure to understand it.

• That cute little kid looks like a cabbage patch 😊
    I am not going to actively seek a specific race or races, just a great guy, the looks comes later.

• i love interracial relationships! especially seeing the mixed kids! so cute!

• I know its lovely for different races to join together its beautiful like all people are no matter what your race or religion x

• I believe you should date someone because of their personality and compatibility. However, I've dated Latinos, east men and whites. I enjoyed each relationship ^.^

• Weather a person wants to date outside of their ethnic group is there business. Racism will still be alive and you can learn about other cultures without dating someone from hat culture.
    I think society worries to much about being politically correct. Yes, I am happy people are being more accepting of each other and respecting each other. However, that does not mean a person has to abandoned what they believe in or want.
    What makes the world so great is our differences and the beauty of our differences.

• I personally would prefer to be with someone of my own culture or at least of the same religion (could be different race), because it's an important part of my life and would make it easier/ more peaceful/more relateable for now and long term BUT if I met someone amazing to me whom I had great chemistry with from a different race/culture/religion completely, I wouldn't automatically reject that.

I'm all for people dating who they want. Do it for you and what matters most to you. I think it's okay to prefer your own so long as you don't sit there bad mouthing or barring others for doing otherwise.

• Does a half white half black girl dating a white guy count?

• It would be nice and interesting to date someone different but im always be more into my latino guys lol

• im Asian an other then Asians i only like white men

• Awwwww!
    Sweet MyTake! =)

• I feel like cultural differences is also what scares some people about dating other races

• Haha good take and very cute pictures!

• I think a lot of people missed the point of the take because of the wording of the title.

• You're right. I could have worded it better. :)

• Yeah and many don't like to read. 😅

• i love that last picture

• This is really beautiful and a great article!

• I'm dating a guy who is half-Caucasian half Indian. Sure, he does look Indian, and at first my mom was taken aback by it. But looks don't matter (unless you're talking about the hygiene part of it, that's an different story) because they will fade with time. I think in my personal option that he's very handsome. He's very sweet, polite, kind, hilarious, and smart. He's everything I've ever wanted in an guy but haven't known. If I had just stocked to the stereotypes and dated another Caucasian, I wouldn't found such a wonderful guy.

• Show more from Girls
    5