So You Want To Get Out of the Friendzone?

So you’re romantically into a guy/girl but unfortunately, they don’t share the same feelings as you, but they like you as a friend. Then you get sulky and blame the other person by saying “he/she put me in the friendzone.” Honestly, did they put you in the friend zone? Or did you put yourself there?

If you stick around hoping that this person will eventually come around and fall in love with you. You have put yourself in the friend zone! You are choosing to wait for a person to fall in love with you who will probably never love you the way you love them.

Some of you are also hurting yourself by pretending to be that person’s friend just to get your way. If all you want is sex and you are pretending to be her friend to see if you can get it, WRONG! He/she is a FRIEND. Stop wasting your time, there are billions of men/women in the world that you can bang. Don't expect someone that friendzoned you to give you their private parts to you because you’re “such a good friend.” Chances are, he/she can see through the bullshit anyway.

The issue with friendzone is that the person being friendzoned for some strange reason believes that the person who friendzones them owes them something. So you listened to your friend whine and cry over their SO for hours, great, that’s what friends are supposed to do! What else did you expect to happen? That he/she would fall into your arms and realize that you are the better person? (If that is the case) NOPE that doesn't happen. If the person you want is into shit bags, then let them deal with the shit bags. Even if he/she ends up single, they will just go for another shit bag.

So for those of you wondering how to get out of the friendzone? Move on! Find someone else who wants you! Stop hurting yourself over someone who is not interested in you! if that person that friendzoned you does come around all of a sudden wanting you after being treated like crap by the dude/chick they rejected you for, then they’re shit out of luck.

617

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, this is correct. Only the guy doesn't put him there, the girl does. But he can choose to stay or leave.
    We call them beta-orbiters. They're thinking if they kiss her ass enough she'll give them some sex one day. The girls keep them around cuz they're like girlfriends, and especially if they'll validate her and do stuff for her. Girls view this whole thing differently.

• I disagree about the girl putting him there. I believe he wants to be his honest friend, but dude is keeping his hope alive to have something. That's on him/her.

I would agree if person is stringing them along.

• Those guys friend znoed themselves, then.

• @DizzyAster Yeah.

Most Helpful Girl

• The attitude that by not being interested in dating someone, you are "putting" them somewhere, or actively doing something "to" them, is completely ridiculous. It villianizes people who reject someone, regardless of their reasons, and implies that people are obligated to want to date anyone who is interested in dating them. It turns wanting to just be friends with someone into an evil or offensive act when really, it shouldn't be. It's very normal to have people who you enjoy as friends but would not want to date. That's part of life, part of normal socializing. It is not a crime, it is not mean, it does not turn anyone into a victim.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 16

• Lol this friend zone stuff is too funny. A person either wants a relationship with you or doesn't. If they don't they never will. It's fun being a quiet friend because I can listen and hear about everyone's problems and hear some juicy gossip stories.

• Exactly, although I'm sort of petty (something I'm working on) so at times when a guy I like does this to me and wants to vent to me about his problems I'll be like "Well that's who you chose to be with, deal with it, bro." Then go on with my drama free life :)

• My thoughts,.. by dropping all forms of communication from the person you are interested in & having no further communication with that person at all any more,.. you are officially out of the friendzone.

• That's the only way to do it.

• Yep, you're right & that happens most of the time. That's like 9 times out of 10 that will end that way & there will be no further communication at all,... period. As for either a couple that have broken up or someone you are highly interested in who places you in the friendzone, but everything does get optimistically resolved & you both become and remain as good friends,... THAT part I will very much fully concur with you... that either rarely or sometimes happens that way. That's just the reality of things.

• I know that. There was one guy who got mad at me because I didn't want to be friends with him after he rejected me. I thought it was comical.

• Korra is on point.
    If someone says no to you, and you keep hope alive, then you have friendzoned yourself.
    Unless, they are stringing you along.

• Yeah, there are some cases where the other person is stringing them along, but I was speaking about the ones who hold on after being rejected and then treated that person as if they owe them something.

• So what do you think about the banishment zone? After you ask out a freind or tell them that you have a crush on them and they just end the freindship?

• I always thought it was lame.
    😎"Hey I'm Sam"
    😎"Yea you seem cool"
    -Months later..
    😎"Hey, how are things going with Ron"
    😅"Yall made up yesterday"
    😨"Had some fun last night"
    😰"Hotel room?"
    😱"He whated on your what!!"
    😖"Somebody on the other line"
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Only way you get put in the friendzone is if you're ugly.

• Just move and find someone who wants you. Why prolong the agony?

• Dang wish I read this before my stupid questions. Should just ask you instead perhaps, whats like the best easiest lazy way of staying in the friendzone?

• People don't realize... if you're interested in someone, flirt with them/hit on them.

If they're open to dating, date. if they're not interested, delete their number and move on.

• I'm just here to say you can't, and you need to find a new woman

• The thing is none of us is perfect not an even the kindest person an when we choose to settle down then you pick sum 1 who kustvtreats you good an you can comunacte well with

• Your points are well taken, but your cartoon graphic is utterly WRONG. Women DO put men in the friendzone.

It is up to the man if he wants to stay there or move on.

And the questions that any thoughtful man who is placed in the friendzone must ask himself is this:

"Is it worth staying there?"

Or more specifically:

"Is there anything non-sexual about this lady that would justify maintaining a friendship? (intellect, common hobbies, business ties, etc.)"

"Or am I just maintaining a holding pattern hoping she will change her mind?"

If the answers are YES and NO respectively, then by all means stay in the friendzone.

Otherwise, move on.

• I NEVER find girls that don't friendzone me. You didn't provide advice how to not get friend zoned

• Because there is no way around it. If someone friend zones you then find someone else that won't.

• Every girl does it to me, so that isn't working

• Same here but what can you do? Moping about it isn't going to work. Either find someone else or learn to enjoy your own company.

• > So you listened to your friend whine and cry over their SO for hours, great, that’s what friends are supposed to do! What else did you expect to happen?

While I agree with most of this post, this line just bugs me. If someone was truly my friend, I'd expect they'd be considerate enough of my feelings to resolve those sorta problems on their own. On the contrary, listening to someone's issues for -hours- would be a courtesy I'd extend if a close family member passed away, not if someone's boyfriend/girlfriend treated them poorly.

• I agree with you. Also if they're a true friend they'd also treat you with the same curtousy and listen to your problems or help you out with stuff because that's what friends are for. Also I'd go as far to say if the friendship is one sided then it's not really that great of a friendship and it's possible that you're being used (not in all cases but a lot of them).

• I agree with you Lola. I just see a lot of guys called shitty (ie "Nice Guy TM", manipulative, etc) for being a decent friend (or participating in a one sided friendship [from the guy's side] just for having feelings at one point (which they may or may not still have). While the women in these scenarios who are essencially using the guy and don't care about him are seen as having the moral high ground. Anyways that's what I was responding to. I know that there are guys who just do thing for women and pretend to be a friend just to get something out of you and those guys aren't true friends and are kind of shitty people.

• @Shadow44 Yeah those were the kind of people I was talking about. Unfortunately, there are shitty people everywhere.

• I agree

• That meme is too long.

What Girls Said 5

• 1|0
    • I wish I saw this video, this would have been perfect! Thank you!

• No problem-- great post by the way ! Thanks for bringing this up, people honestly just need to move past this already.

• Yeah, I've seen a lot of questions about getting out of the friend zone and I just thought why? Why put yourself through all this bs of waiting on a person to like you when they have made it clear, they don't. Been there and I understand being upset about it.

• I look at it this way, the friend zone is simply when someone doesn't see you as some they can date; so you're just friends and that's all you'll ever be. Is that a bad thing? Depends on how you feel about this specific person. I don't do the whole friend zone thing, everyone has a chance at making me fall for them. It isn't like I say to myself "This person will NEVER have a chance with me".

• Exactly, if you just look at someone as a friend then that what it is.

• If you want to get out of the friend zone, show me you can provide for me and be a man!

• You... mean money... right? I mean... I'm pretty sure that's what your picture is advertising. It's just that I can't see your rate from here...

All offensive jokes aside, no. That is not how to get out of the friendzone. That's a one-sentence, one-way ticket to hell: being used, manipulated, and strung along. So no. The easiest way to get out of it is to simply not be there, period. Unless you are like me and simply don't give a fuck, and will be friends with someone you used to crush on. Either way, if she turns you down and you aren't serious about being friends, you shouldn't be there. Regardless, either that comment of yours was a joke, or you are going to reply calling me a misogynist or something, so I'm going to admit that this goes for guys too. We can be fucked up and some guys will keep you around simply to use you for sex later on. (And I can see why, with a pair of "those" dangling in some profile pics *ahem*, and no I don't mean male genitalia)

• @Feito I am a strong woman who needs no attention from man. That is a rape myth. You are a rape apologist!

• @SuperGlitterGirl Oh really? Where is your proof of that? Please, indulge me on what I said that could be construed in any way as being someone who supports rape apology.

• Preach 👏👏👏

• Gah! The friend zone. I hate that place.