Why You Always Should Listen To Your Heart And Not To Your Parents

In the beginning of 2017, I have met a guy and I fell for him... hard. We have been talked all day and all night. From 10 am to 3 am... You would have thought "Don't you get tired?" Honestly, I did, but that guy was something different. It wasn't just a normal guy to me. He was something different, someone, that understood me and didn't judge me for who I am. My parents always have been strict... I couldn't go out with friends and they even banned me for talking to my best friend...

I was so enthusiastic about that guy, so I told my mum about him... I was confident my parents will like him too. I invited him at home and that is when hell has started. When he left my mum started yelling at me... "How could I bring someone like him here at home?" Let me explain why they were disapproval... It was because of his race.. .He was Carribean. "He just wants you for sex" they said, "He is a liar". They said... But he wasn't. That guy got his heart broken, but not because of me, because of my disapproval parents. From fight after fight, I decided to start a relationship with him without my parents or anyone else knowing about it.

it was hard but I was happy... I was the happiest I have ever been... If you follow your heart without getting affected by anyone even your parents you'll get happy.. and I could guarantee it. I have felt it, I have done it...

that is why in my opinion you should listen to your heart. You know what is best for you and no one else.

Now you ask yourself.... "What if you break up? How do you deal with it when no one knows about it?" Also, I can answer that question, because I indeed broke up with that guy. It was hard. It was heart breaking, but one friend (my best friend) knew about the relationship and helped me get through it. Now I only have to deal with a guy who makes my life hell, but I got over it... I wish him all the best and even wish him a girl who he can share his life with like he shared his life with me.

And I will never forget the moments we have spent together, because I love him and maybe it didn't work out I still love him...

Just follow your heart!

Let me know what you guys think of this MyTake and leave your opinion. I would love to hear y'all speak!

14

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you have to do what you feel is right. But be aware of the consequences. Make sure to think everything through from as many angles/viewpoints as possible. Something I've learned is to take the time before making decisions, especially life changing ones. At the end of the day, you have to live with the result, and if you really want to do what you want, then go for it.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 4

• I agree, parents are there to give you advice, but in the end, it's your relationship, no one can truly know the unique perspective you have.
    As someone who also decided to be with someone despite what my parents and family thought, I can certainly empathize with what you feel on some level. Sometimes you just have to listen to your heart and be with the person you love.

• Random observation, you remind me a little of the person I was with. Maybe it's because you say mum, she's English...

• So here's the thing -- you're 17 and you wrote this huge essay about a guy and why you shouldn't listen to your parents. The fact that you're writing about a guy tells me that you definitely need to listen to your parents more. At your age, your raging hormones cause you to overemphasize romantic relationships (i. e. what you're doing here) and to downplay the importance of your education and your career. You should be thinking about your studies, college applications, what fields you plan to study, and eventually, your major. Those are adult decisions that are coming up.

I don't doubt that this tryst was torrid, romantic, and intense but it was so unbelievably unimportant compared to the real life-changing decisions that await you in the next 10-12 months. In your case, I think you definitely should be listening to your parents more and your hormones err... "heart" less.

• I do concentrate on study, education etc.. I am that kind of person that plans out the future and know what I want to di in the future.. my mindset is pretty adult ish for my age and sometimes I say things that make people drop their jaw thinking "wow that girl does really know what she wants in life" people around me see that and my mum hears it from family etc but mt dad doesn't want to accept the fact that I am actually pretty smart... that is why it hurts me and stops me for being the person I wnat to be

• True it's your life but your parents are more experience than you have. Your heart is treacherous it can lead you into a situation you don't want to be in. Life has a nasty habit of biting you...

• sometimes its better to listen to yourself , rarely , with money investments I've ignored my parents and made a lot of cash , never with relationships tho , once when I spent a lot of money to move out with my girlfriend for three months , for a 6 month relationship it was fun sure I didn't have a lot of cash after but I enjoyed the time I spent with my girlfriend now my ex. but a year or two years after that happened they have been right with all my relationships and have kept me safe from any gold diggers or woman who were trying to waste my time

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!