Take a Risk in Love!

Take a Risk in Love!

I was dating my best friend and my now, ex-boyfriend for the past 4 years. Things started off like a dream, but it wasn't long before he became argumentative and even emotionally violent. Although I knew that this was wrong, I loved him so much and was willing to put up with his ways. I would go to work, and dread coming home, but I was hoping that I would get my man back, the way he was when we first met.

One day I was walking home and I ran into a man that lived nearby. He was completely the opposite of what I go for. My ex was 6'2, blue eyes, blonde hair and nicely built... this man though was 5'5, dark hair and eyes, quite scrawny, but yet something caught my eye nonetheless.

Take a Risk in Love!

The man proceeded to make a joke and was super friendly. As I gazed into his eyes, I felt like he could sense my pain. I don't know what it was, but I couldn't stop thinking about him. I would walk home from work for the next 3 months and we would chat. He was always so positive and radiated this loving energy that I couldn't deny.

One day, he asked me to coffee, and I told him that I have a boyfriend. He told me that he would be more than happy to be just friends, and I agreed. Over the next 2 months, his friendship is what kept me going, until that dreadful day... I came home and my now ex, had been drinking. He was livid about his debt and lack of job prospective, and was destroying everything in sight, I was so scared, and at that point I knew what I had to do. The next day I moved out. I was heartbroken, and it took time, but a few months later I agreed to dinner with the neighbor. He was incredible. In fact, now that we are engaged after 2 years I couldn't be happier. My friends had made comments on his shortness, or his scrawniness- but I don't care. I fell in love with his heart and his mind. And that made him so attractive to me...

Take a Risk in Love!

Ladies and gentlemen out there, please recognize that looks are deceiving.

In order to really open yourself up to the possibility of love, you have to take a risk. Take a risk even if it's someone that you wouldn't consider before, because they may pleasantly surprise you.

38
amandaschwartz is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Didn't seem so risky to me. You only left your violent ex after you knew there was another guy that would date you.

• I think what she means is take a risk on the scrawny shorties that you're not attracted to because they might have a nice personality and who knows, maybe you'll become attracted to them with time.

Most Helpful Girl

• Awesome.

My Dad isn't going to like my guy... lol we've now been dating longer than not!! He's a biker, 5'7, kinda stocky, kinda bad... but he makes me go wild. Lately... I see myself to continue having fun with him... in the future. What should I do? What if love happens...2 months!!! :)

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 7

• Great take! And this is a message all people need to see. Missed opportunities happen every day!

• I'm 6'2 with blue eyes and I still love this take

• Great take.

• sometimes change is good

• very nice

• Nice take.

• This proves guys and girls can't be "just friends"

What Girls Said 2

• Yea its crazy. I took a risk in love as well. Not only was he long distance but he was also what i dont normally go for in looks. I mean he was cute but not what i was used to. So yea i took the risk because of our similar personalities. However in the longrun we realized we have totally diff interests and thats a prob for us sometimes but we’re still managing to make it work. Next month will make it a year for us

• nice boys)))