The Single Girl Paradox and it's Solutions

Hello people of GaG! Today I have a myTake about a question that has plagued mankind for centuries, where are all the single women?

The Paradox:

OK this paradox relies on a few assumptions:

- The number of single men and women in the world are equal

- The number of lesbians and gay people are (roughly) the same

-The number of asexual/aromantic people and poly people is too small to matter.

So if these are true, why does it seem like every woman is in a relationship and every man is single? You see huge swathes of single men on the internet, yet single women are extremely rare. Dating sites are all mostly made up of men! WHY?!

The Solutions:

Solution 1: There are no single women.

This is pretty infeasible but also a possibility, however minute. However this doesn't really provide a satisfying answer as there needs to be a single woman (and man) to form a relationship (we are only looking at heterosexual relationships here).

Solution 2: The Great Filter

Perhaps there is some "Great Filter" that stops single people from existing. We already know that in some parts of the world there are arranged marriges that would act as a great filter of sorts to stop single people from existing. Perhaps there are others that we haven't yet discovered. Hoepfully the great filter lies behind us all so we are safe from it!

Solution 3: They don't want to/can't interact with us:

Perhaps we haven't developed the technology to speak to single women yet. Communicating using English to them might be like a dog trying to bark at us, it's too primitive to understand. Perhaps they don't want to interact with us since we are too primitive for them or not attractive enough. Perhaps they can't interact with us, they might be too far away and live in a different country. They could want to study us to learn how we operate. These could all be valid reasons.

Conslusion:

The Single women paradox is one of the most pressing questions mankind. It seriously worried Enrico Fermi when he made it, as he thought he'd never find a girlfriend because of it. Hopefully one day we can intercept a signal sent by a single lady, or perhaps they'll come and visit us. Then we will finally know the answer. But untill then, keep looking at the stars and never give up hope :).

1023

Most Helpful Girls

• I'd say not as much women like online compared to guys because of the worry of the other person being crazy. Also I feel like for most women they aren't as eager to get a boyfriend and aren't actively searching for one or declaring that they're single. But I assure you, there are lots of single women

• Well im single so here's the answer to your dilemma 😂

Most Helpful Guys

• Sometimes the simplest explanation is the most accurate. Single women claiming they have a boyfriend is the easiest way to deflect men they are not interested in.

• In the case of aliens, solution 1.
    In the case of girls, I guess solution 3?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Why does it seem like every woman is in a relationship and every man is single?"
    Choice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FToHabxSVYg
    More specifically contentment with the circumstance and power to change it. When you choose something, you feel better about it.
    Let's say, theoretically the number of single men and women is equal. Okay, but now how many guys do you think feel like they've chose that position rather than women? Even among average women it's still convention to choose one's suitor, men aren't afforded that. Or you could go so far as to say they are teased with it. They see *many* women which they consider perfectly adequate for partnering up with but don't actually end up in that circumstance very often. So in effect this throws their contentment the other direction toward dissatisfaction.

Also, more attractive people are the one's interested in being dated and are also more often dated, so naturally all the one's you're interested in are taken, this is especially true among women in that their are precisely 8 males in the world they actually want to date and that's it.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• Probably another filter. There are single women, I can tell you that, but they already have someone else in mind. A reasonable someone else, no celebrities or already taken men.
    Or what I've encountered, every guy I seemed to ever like doesn't like me that way and ones I never in a million years would date won't leave me alone. What's that about?

• Just switch that last scenario around to suit yourself.

• I have the same problem!!!

• If the people you fancy don't ever like you back your punching. Straight up. I've had the same issue on the odd occasion but i make sure to be realistic buy still seeking girls i find somewhat attractive.

• The single women are starting to give up because the quality of single guys are so low these days. All the good men are either taken, gay, or have too much internal complexes that they can't even get physically close to a girl.

• Thsts the same with a lot of single guys. All the good women tend to be taken leaving the fatties and girls with mental problems (1in4 women). Thank God I'm married.

• Being fat is shameful, that's not me shaming lol. Casanova wasn't a very good guy by the way.

• I agree Girl AHAHA

• I'm single and I don't deny it. Because I'm panromantic I'm open to anyone regardless of gender identity. However, I'm also demisexual which is a variant of asexuality. I realize too many people want sex with a relationship when it just doesn't interest me. I am, however, highly passionate and romantic.

• A lot of single girls lie saying they're in a relationship to get rid of guys hitting on them when they're not interested.
    Also I think it's easier to think that a dating site will help you when you're a guy than when you're a girl as her entourage will probably call her desperate or scare her away saying there are are only pervs on there.
    Nearly every girl I know is single and so are most of their female friends aswell (like 85% single, 5% taken in a semi long term relationship, 8% in an on and off relationship and 2% married.).

• Truth has been spoken. Been experiencing this in college in my masters degree

• 3d

I am single but looking every dating site sucks... I looked everywhere... not one site has search grade I looking for.

• Lol we're not rare! I'm single & many women are 😂 but again, I'm asexual & aromantic so I don't get counted in the list of singles I guess 😂

• Nice take

• Interesting...

What Guys Said 21

• Holy shit dood, this is like intelligent shit. I think you are on to something dood.
    Maybe if we like take the entire Male population when they reach the age of 18, load them all onto a blue flying school bus in segments of 10, drop them off on some island, let them kill each other until only 1 is left, we should end up with world peace or something dood.

• Sounds like a plan! Where we dropping boss?

• Crazy! You know what's crazier? If you tie a piece of rope around your neck, an fix it to a stable point significantly higher than your own height, plus the length of the rope, and you slowly apply your own bodyweight to the rope, you can actually cause severe asphyxiation.

• Shit I suck at that game tho.

• 1) Regarding your "great filter" - that doesn't actually negate the paradox, as you still need a man and a woman to form a heterosexual couple. Having a filter would equally reduce single men and women. Unless you propose polygamy, that is.

2) as for your 3) -if this is meant to be a satire, you're doing it wrong, because this is a real issue.

The reason there are so many single women, yet they aren't available, is because they have unrealistic expectations. End of story.

• Funny my take. I think the amount of girls on dating sites is similar to guys though.

With all of the premises you have, it would have been more interesting if you talked about why it's hard for guys to get attention to the similar amount of guys on dating sites. There are some interesting reasons.

• You trolling, dawg? Or is this a hyperbolic rephrasing of a simple common question?

• Lol you got me. It's supposed to be satirical, it uses similar logic to the Fermi Paradox in a stupid way.

• there's more single women than men because

A) There is more gays than lesbians

B) there's more women on the planet to begin with.

Only in scummy thirld world countries that tolerate polygamy are these factors balanced. Out

It may be the case that lots of women have just checked out of dating all together, or are having something like an affair so that they dont show up as single but aren't dating.

• Also a lot of girls especially on this site are delusional, they say there not single but when you ask them about the relationship they say it’s long distance and they’ve never even met the person, but they still feel like there not single even though the person lives in a different country.

I guess the pain of not being able to find someone is too great for them so they pretend they happy In a fictional one.

• " The number of single men and women in the world are equal" ... Nope there are over 600 million more human males world wide , than females. The birth gender ratio is male heavy by nature , plus the disgusting practice of female infanticide has magnified this.

• I have a theory that might explain it:
    1. Single women are not that vocal about being single like men are so that’s why we never hear that much about them.
    2. Women who are depressed about single know they can just wait for a man to approach instead of pursuing themselves. This, unfortunately, is a privilege only women can enjoy while men don’t have this advantage.

• 3. The amount of Single women today will eventually match up to the amount of Single men as more women are choosing money, education and careers over love and family.
      4. Based on the previous statement, if we add in the hypergamy theory, that would mean that a lot of men and women will be single and that is because the women who are single will refuse to date the “average joe” while the men who are single are only there for not being rich. That would mean only a few of the population will be in relationships while the majority are single and unless we can somehow make most men become wealthy or women to lower standards, this will be pattern we should be expecting.

• Actually, not that much women look for money and great career in a man, that's a stereotype you know?

• Yup men with money= sexy

• It's easy. You see, the single ones put themselves off the dating market for several reasons which include but are not limited to interacting with someone where it hasn't quite got there but they aren't willing to give it up to date someone else yet.

• There are lots of single women in the west as men now seem to prefer Asian women.
    (Waiting for downvotes from Western women because this joke hurts their feelings)

• Usually the women that I am interested in are non-straight, so my "girl-detector" must need re-calibrating.
    The population of single gals out there may be greater that you perceive. It may just be, because of the unfortunate 'stigma' of the single woman, they don't like to talk about it or admit it.
    I have always felt bad for the single gals who have a hard time finding a man because society puts a lot more pressure on them and seems to give the bachelor much more of a 'pass' on this. The expectation seems to be that the young lady who is leaving the next will go out and be able to 'land a man' (never did care for that phrase) anyway she can. If that cannot be done she is considered a 'spinster' (another term I don't care for) and is, therefore, a failure.

• A lot of chicks lie about having a boyfriend because they want you to leave them alone and they are not interested. I think equally there are women and men single. Just that a lot of women lie and don't attempt to try dating sites that often.

• I'd imagine guys aren't necessarily interested in the girls they know are single and the girls they are interested and don't know, they just assume are taken (because why wouldn't they be). Plus, it doesn't help that a lot of single girls don't project that they're single (for fear of looking desperate) and assume that because guys approach lots of girls (LOL) a guy should eventually come along. Then when a guy doesn't come along, those single girls *may* attempt to initiate with guys (if they can overcome their fear of looking desperate) but suffer from the same problems guys do.

On the online scene, guys see it as a viable, and maybe only, way of meeting many girls whereas girls are more hesitant and see it as a safe way of seeing what's out there without actually having to do anything. The added ego boost of getting waves of messages is a nice touch but they have no inclination of sifting through them.

• They're all hooking, riding the dick in college and having mixed-race babbies with Tyrone

• LOL

And men don't do the same? But have babies by Mei Ling Ling

• LOL.. Single Lady can earn More MONEY by being SINGLE and Post their PUSSY on WEBCAM... Can we GUYS Earn MONEY with our DICK? Nope...

• Woman always text few guys at the same time even if they are in a relationship , why?
    Because the other guys beside her boyfriend are in the friendzone as a backup plan when her boyfriend leaves her , and they need a shoulder to cry on whitch is stupid as fuck that guys are not seeing that
    No any other girl does not text me beside my girlfriend , i know she texts tons of people but she is my girlfriend not somebody else so i dont care really who is she texting i dont search her phone
    Same as i dont text a lot of people myself like 2,3 or 4

First of all to enter the female world u gotta be attractive/handsome/intimidating looking however u call it it opens u the door , later ur personality closes the door ;) , and later the fun part begins ;)

thats why so many guys are in the friend zone

• Where are all the single women? In convents, maybe?

• I think one issue is women and men tend to hang out in different places. How much time have you spent in nail salons?

• There are a few things you are missing regarding women. One issue is many women have taken themselves out of the dating pool in ways that dont remove men from the dating pool. An obvious one is the obesity epidemic. Last i checked fat guys can get girlfriends but fat girls are always single or with the biggest losers. If you said look there's 10 single girls in this room and they all happened to be fat id think i would be like where are the single girls at? I dont see them!

Secondly, some men keep multiple women. I currently have two girls who are exclusive to me. I have a girlfriend and i have a live in submissive. I also am talking to a few other girls who if you asked out they may or may not say "im seeing someone".

But overall i see this too. Both girls i had to take from boyfriends. They each were in relationships and i had to steal them away. 9 times out of 10 if i see a girl who seems interesting to me she either has a boyfriend or she is a trainwreck untouchable.

• 80/20 Rule

• Show more from Guys
    1