Dudes: Would you date a medical student / doctor?

So there are some pros and cons to this.

Pros:
1. she's probably not a total dumbass
2. has great earning potential

Cons:
1. not too much free time, especially during training years
2. might earn more than you... potentially threatening?

I'm beginning to think that perhaps my line of work is a deterrent for guys. Lol. Which is just great. :p

• Yes. Free band-aids.
  • No. Keep your band-aids.

75

Most Helpful Guy

• From the questions on here, I think that women are way into this idea of being "threatening" or "intimidating". No guy who has a decent career is going to be threatened by a successful woman because guys who make a lot of money have a lot of goals and dreams and having a partner who can actually contribute in a meaningful manner is helpful. And I'm not talking about cooking meals and cleaning the house. I can do that myself or I can hire a maid to come in once a week to do that. I'm talking about really helping career-wise so that our timeline towards financial independence is accelerated.

The way I see it, the woman having a great education puts more pressure on her to actually perform. My ex-wife has a Ph. D. in Biomolecular Engineering from UCLA and she works as a senior scientist doing blah blah blah. I thought it was great and all, but the truth is, she's been laid off from her job twice in the last four years. The second time was in the midst of our ugly divorce and she had the nerve to call me to tell me how she was canned and wanted to know if I'd be willing to cancel the divorce and get back together. What? I told her she needs to get out there and get a job as soon as possible because we were on course for $200k+ in legal fees.

And that's the thing -- even though she was basically my ex-wife at that point, I was still irked that she was potentially putting us in a position where we'd have to liquidate even more assets. So, I think you need to think about the other side when you ask this question. When a guy marries a doctor, he also has some expectations and I know for me, the expectation was not that she would spend like a drunken sailor and end up pulling unemployment checks every couple years. I expected our savings, investment, and retirement accounts to grow at a certain rate and in all honesty, when I really break it down, you could argue that the reason why I filed for divorce was because she couldn't live up to those expectations.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE