Do you find a rich vocabulary to be attractive?

I find it both attractive in friendships as well as in potential mates. I find that they are more interesting conversation partners. Girls with a rich vocabulary are pretty hot to me.

I always try to learn a new word every now and then too, who knows many girls also find it attractive maybe?

137

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I am neutral about it. Sometimes people go overboard to prove their excellent command of English language, which is something that makes me think that they are indirectly bragging.

• I agree. If someone uses words that are still common place, but just more widely spoken by well educated people, that's attractive. But when they're continually using a more sophisticated word when a far simpler and more widely spoken word could easily be used, they appear less attractive and actually more stupid to me because the whole thing seems fake and they don't understand how to communicate effectively.

• @Kkaos having a rich vocabulary is more than using a bunch of "expensive" words to put it like that. A rich vocabulary allows a person to explain something more clearly instead of just using replacement words. An author which uses the same words all the time in his book makes a boring read, but if an author would use a larger variety of words his story become more vibrant. I like that vibrancy in a conversation.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 12

• Yes. I was talking to someone about power dynamics in relationships and he said 'that's bigotry. Why did you assume I wouldn't be the servile one?' I can still hear in my head how he said servile. So attractive :p granted, i already was attracted to him.

• Yes—if I can tell the person is legitimately intelligent. I really enjoy an intelligent, engaging conversation that challenges my view point.

I have also noticed that keeping a stronger vocabulary and proper English excels you job wise and socially. I have had a couple friends that were demeaned and treated poorly in their work space because their English was poor, and people thought they were stupid. They weren't... but their English betrayed them :/

• Yes! But it has to be natural, not forced. If it sounds like they're showing off that's not attractive. But it impresses me when someone has a large vocabulary and can easily and quickly articulate their thoughts. It stands out from most of society too, showing more care and grace rather than negligence in properly expressing one's self.

• I like it when its natural sounding and they don't try to show off. And i agree it makes them A more interesting conversation partner.

• As long as it's natural and not contrived, yes.

• Absolutely. It conveys a certain intelligence, and that's important to me.

• yes, it's but if I can't understand it it's very boring. I think people should adapt their vocabulary to the person they're talking with (boring to ask many time what does this word mean; etc..)

• If he's pedantic it's a total turn off

I prefer people who know how to express themselves cleverly in a simple way, have them a rich vocabulary or not

• Yes lol ofc

• yes intelligence is a plus.

• Yes, if it's meaningful vocabulary, not just trying to use big words to sound good.

• yes it is attractive

What Guys Said 6

• Me like all kinds of girls but ones who say stuff like "pulchritudinous" make me confused. "Pulchri-what? Me like your boobs."

• Not attractive, but it actually shows that the person knows how to use words and I actually like it. People with a richer vocabulary normally study more too and the more you study the more intelligent you get, I like intelligent :)

• Pretty much everything you said. Having a rich vocabulary makes them stand out, there's intellect there, it's very attractive.

• Not really. It just makes me think they are trying too hard to sound smart.

• how is knowing many words trying to sound smart? they just know many words.

• I just find it unnecessary and condescending when someone goes out of their way to use more complicated words that they know the average person isn't going to be familiar with when simplier words would have conveyed their thoughts just as well.

• i agree but using more words doesn't have necceccarly be difficult ones nobody knows lol.

• Yes.

• It usually makes people feel less cultured, inferior, which they'll reverse and project on you in the "You are feeling superior" form.

Among smart people, contrary, flowery and rich language can only be a plus, and it's customary (they'll avoid using all the words they know if they're in a larger company, though, to avoid unpopularity).

• Today I learned hither/hitherward (s); thither/thitherwards, whitherward.

Read good books and look up a good dictionary occasionally, you'll learn automatically.