How do I forgive myself for cheating?

Two years ago at the start of my LDR with my boyfriend we had a huge fight and I went to a party, got drunk and kissed someone else. I had no intention of cheating on him he just grabbed me and I kissed back 😞 I then continued to talk to this guy (no flirting) as friends for a week or so (I didn’t realise how wrong this was at the time but stopped contact) I told my boyfriend straight away what had happened and he being the amazing person he is forgave me. He never brings it up and has moved past it a long time ago - we are generally happy and in love. I know what I did is disgusting, horrible and I probably don’t deserve him but now ever since then I can’t forgive myself. Every time my boyfriend tells me he loves me I feel sick and sometimes throw up because I feel I don’t deserve those words. How Can I move on with my life without hating myself anymore? I know I probably deserve to hate myself but I can’t live like this. I am seeing a psychologist but it’s not helping. I know I made a huge mistake but this guilt is eating me alive.

113

Most Helpful Guy

• People do stupid things when drunk and this is because alcohol unlocks in a sense a separate carefree personality that can almost be described as a different person. This doesn't mean your not responsible for your actions when drunk but it does mean you can't be too harsh on yourself when you make mistakes, the important thing to remember is that you didn't persue anything more than a flirty chat and tbh flirty chats happen outside most happy relationships. It doesn't matter where you look, so long as you eat at home! If you are really having troubles, talk to your boyfriend and tell him what you are feeling and get him to tell you how cheating made him feel, it may help get you both on the same page, the point is you both want to be together, anything outside of that shouldn't really matter

• Thank you for your reply, you’re exactly right

Most Helpful Girl