Would you date someone without a car?

beep beep
beep beep

In college, I was either on a super small campus where I never needed a car or off campus but there was an excellent free bus system. Now, I've graduated and oh my... I realize I totally need a car, not just for a job but a love life! Would you date someone without a car?
  • Yes-I have a car
  • Yes-I don't have a car
  • No-I have a car
    Vote C
  • No-I don't have a car
    Vote D

1644

Most Helpful Guys

• I would totally not mind! I would pick her up or meet herself place and give her a ride home if she would be comfortable with that or at least walk her home if she is in walking distance

• Yes, I would. In fact, I'm married and neither my wife nor I can drive ;-).

Luckily, we live in Switzerland, which has an amazing public transport system. Everything is super punctual (as in, people start getting nervous if the train is 30 seconds late) and the system is very dense/comprehensive. There's a train or at least a regular bus to even the tiniest mountain villages. I can't think of any place that I wouldn't be able to reach with public transport within the country. Moreover, in some cases it is better to take public transport than go by car. For instance my university is located in a different city and it takes me less time to get to my class by bus, train and tram than it would by car (especially since finding parking spaces can be an epic challenge).

Because of this, it's quite normal for young people (30 and younger) to not have a car here. Even some people in their 50s and 60s don't have one.

The reason I would still like my wife to get a driver's license is because of future children. Of course you can also take the bus and train with your kids but especially for trips that last several hours, this can be a little exhausting (at least when they are very small and cry a lot).

If we were living in the US or in Canada, I would also like my wife to get a driver's license. I wish America had a better public transport system. I also wish Americans wouldn't look down on public transport and people who use public transport. However, the way it is right now, you simply need a car to get around. I myself am not allowed to get a driver's license because I'm legally blind. For this reason, living in America or Canada would feel very uncomfortable for me. I'd constantly have to beg people to give me a ride, which would feel humiliating and terrible, even if they were happy to help me. Maybe once self-driving cars come along, living in the US or in Canada for a year or two might become an option ;-).

• That's amazing, honestly, I would love to never have to buy a car. And people are very dangerous, driving can be scary here.
      Yes, American culture can be so backwards in regards to how pedestrians/people using the transit are viewed!

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I don't even have a car right now myself so I shouldn't expect my man to have one. Where I'm from (London), we have public transport everywhere so a car is not really vital especially at my age now 18 turning 19.

• My senior year of high school I dated this guy. He didn't have a car and I picked him up and drove him everywhere it sucked. The first few times of picking him up was ok. But there would be days where i wanted to chill and he wanted to see me. Which is nice but I would have eventful days and I wanted to relax and not drive anymore. He would beg me to pick him up and take us somewhere. A lot of times I ended up just picking him up because I wanted to be a good girlfriend. It made me tired overtime. But we had prom together i picked him up and met his family for the first time. He especially said "i love you" a day into the relationship. I felt like i was the guy in the relationship. Felt like I was dating a kid. He didn't even have his license or permit... we lived in a town where you needed a car to get around.