Would you date someone without a car?

beep beep
beep beep

In college, I was either on a super small campus where I never needed a car or off campus but there was an excellent free bus system. Now, I've graduated and oh my... I realize I totally need a car, not just for a job but a love life! Would you date someone without a car?
  • Yes-I have a car
    Vote A
  • Yes-I don't have a car
    Vote B
  • No-I have a car
    Vote C
  • No-I don't have a car
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I would totally not mind! I would pick her up or meet herself place and give her a ride home if she would be comfortable with that or at least walk her home if she is in walking distance

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I would. In fact, I'm married and neither my wife nor I can drive ;-).

Luckily, we live in Switzerland, which has an amazing public transport system. Everything is super punctual (as in, people start getting nervous if the train is 30 seconds late) and the system is very dense/comprehensive. There's a train or at least a regular bus to even the tiniest mountain villages. I can't think of any place that I wouldn't be able to reach with public transport within the country. Moreover, in some cases it is better to take public transport than go by car. For instance my university is located in a different city and it takes me less time to get to my class by bus, train and tram than it would by car (especially since finding parking spaces can be an epic challenge).

Because of this, it's quite normal for young people (30 and younger) to not have a car here. Even some people in their 50s and 60s don't have one.

The reason I would still like my wife to get a driver's license is because of future children. Of course you can also take the bus and train with your kids but especially for trips that last several hours, this can be a little exhausting (at least when they are very small and cry a lot).

If we were living in the US or in Canada, I would also like my wife to get a driver's license. I wish America had a better public transport system. I also wish Americans wouldn't look down on public transport and people who use public transport. However, the way it is right now, you simply need a car to get around. I myself am not allowed to get a driver's license because I'm legally blind. For this reason, living in America or Canada would feel very uncomfortable for me. I'd constantly have to beg people to give me a ride, which would feel humiliating and terrible, even if they were happy to help me. Maybe once self-driving cars come along, living in the US or in Canada for a year or two might become an option ;-).

0|0
    0|0
    • That's amazing, honestly, I would love to never have to buy a car. And people are very dangerous, driving can be scary here.
      Yes, American culture can be so backwards in regards to how pedestrians/people using the transit are viewed!

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes, I don't even have a car right now myself so I shouldn't expect my man to have one. Where I'm from (London), we have public transport everywhere so a car is not really vital especially at my age now 18 turning 19.

1|0
    0|0
  • My senior year of high school I dated this guy. He didn't have a car and I picked him up and drove him everywhere it sucked. The first few times of picking him up was ok. But there would be days where i wanted to chill and he wanted to see me. Which is nice but I would have eventful days and I wanted to relax and not drive anymore. He would beg me to pick him up and take us somewhere. A lot of times I ended up just picking him up because I wanted to be a good girlfriend. It made me tired overtime. But we had prom together i picked him up and met his family for the first time. He especially said "i love you" a day into the relationship. I felt like i was the guy in the relationship. Felt like I was dating a kid. He didn't even have his license or permit... we lived in a town where you needed a car to get around.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 42

• Yes I would, as Long as it didn't make Dating difficult.

The girlfriend I had from age 20-22 had a car and liked the fact that I rode a bike (I was a student and lived in a city), because, she said, "It makes it harder for you to meet another girl". Never mind there were thousands on the campus we attended and I only wanted her.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't give af if my date has a car or not. All my life i have been using public transportations and i can easily say that they can be problematic but still I'm using them.
    Ps. I have driving licenses but no car... Hahahahaha

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't drive and I make sure to live nearby stores and have money free for uber rides if need be. In some places you really don't need to drive but in most of the USA it really will cripple you if you can't.

I expect most women to treat me as a subhuman cus I don't drive but that's good because it keeps the shallow people away. I'd muuuuch rather be alone than deal with someone shallow.

1|0
    0|0
  • I sometimes would but its a pain in the ass as 99% of the time they want you to drive them everywhere and dont understand how gas and wear and tear on vehicles work. Now shed have to be something special for me to consider it.

0|1
    0|0
  • At my age, no I wouldn't. Most responsible adults have a car, the only exception being if her car just wrecked or she had to junk it. If your talking about a girl who never owned a car and she's around 30, thats a red flag.

1|0
    1|0
  • Not where I'm at now, no. I understand some metros have fantastic public and mass transportation systems. Some people in places like New York, Chicago, Boston simply don't see a need for owning a car. If I was there, I see the benefit, and I'd probably use it myself. But where I am, public transportation lacks a lot. It would be harder to manage one's time for necessities like work and errands, let alone dating. So no car, no deal.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes mate I love cars. Gotta have one myself. Doesn't matter if the girl has one because I'll give her a ride anyways. Sadly i'm losing my car when I go to service.

1|1
    0|0
  • Cars really help n do make things easier.. It can change many outcomes to positive.. But if neither of us have 1 it doesn't mean anything other than the need to have1

1|0
    0|0
  • yes and i have.
    i suppose if my wife lost her car i'd stay married to here. haha

1|0
    0|0
  • I would but I know a lot of women won't. A lot of women see it as a sign you are poor even if you are not.

1|0
    0|0
  • wouldn't be the worse thing, but then i have a car. If I didn't aswell it would make things more difficult but you could work around it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup, I have a car and love to drive. Plus I can play the same song 100 times without anyone changing it or complaining.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. At my age I'd find it very suspicious to not have some kind of vehicle.

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah. The thing is, I never met a guy that would reject a woman over that but I have met women that did.

1|1
    0|0
  • It wouldn't be a big priority - Public transport is very good here

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't really count it against them, but it can make things difficult when you live in a sprawling city with a horrible public transportation system.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. I have plenty of friends who live close to work and walk or cycle to help with pollution etc

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mind dating a chick without a car, I just hope she's easy to get to.

1|1
    0|0
  • I have had a significantly long relationship with four women without cars that I bought each one of them one. It makes dating soooo much easier.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course I would!
    Gosh if it would be the car that mattered, how serious would our relationship be?

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 14

• Yes. There's no need for a car where I live.

0|0
    0|0
    • No I won't date someone for a car.. As a matter of fact I am single never married and no kids.. You can text me here any single guys from U. S. A...929 322 3754

• The desperation in person 😂

• With out a car means I've to think about ur transport expenses then food then hang out expenses. And if it date expect anything better than his or her usual life then u can't do cheap date, can u? So when u think any dating always know one thing, cheap or cheaper date is going to affect in the long run to ur poor pocket n mind. So do that after getting too much money to spend around. And please don't forget the expensive or cheap gifts.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont see why not. I know it is easier to commute yourself but if you focus only in the material thing in a relationship something is wrong then with your SO.

1|0
    0|0
  • Where I'm from, it's very uncommon for students to have a car. I don't think it's necessary at all, the public transport works just fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't really care if my date had a car or not. So yes, I would date

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure I would, I have a car, I can drive, no problem.

1|0
    0|0
  • Possibly. Depending on where we live and why he d oesnt have a car.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I don't really care about cars.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would not.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I am

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep, neither my boyfriend or I drive yet.

0|0
    0|0
  • i'll

0|0
    0|0
  • If you live in downtown Tokyo or in Manhattan, it's understandable not owning a car as long as you've mastered their transit systems. Uber & Lyft are everywhere anyway. So, it's ok if neither of us has a car.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes