In dating/relationships/whatever, why do labels and titles matter so much to girls?

Why are they always asking the "what are we" question?

167

Most Helpful Girls

• Not knowing whether the other person is thinking of the relationship as casual or serious is important. If the other person thinks it's casual and the other person thinks it's serious, they're both wasting their time.

• What's the difference? How is it actually quantified? "Casual" vs. "serious?"

• I don't personally see any other reason for dating but to find a partner for life. And that's why I need to know if the person I'm dating agrees or not.

• I guess to have fun. What else is there?

• Because if we don't, there are guys who take that as: "I'm not your boyfriend, so, I don't have to be loyal to you." I always expect a guy to be upfront about what we are, because I'm not here to be casual. If he wants to be casual - okay, but he's not going to be doing it with me.

A big turn off for me as well is indecisiveness, so if a guy can't decide if he wants me to be his girlfriend or a casual buddy, I want to steer clear of him. Therefore, I always make it clear upfront that I don't go titleless or deal with "maybes." Back when I was younger, sure, but as an adult woman: no thank you.

• Fair enough.

Most Helpful Guy

• Our mind automatically attempts to categorize and file through information provided to it, regardless of whether you are aware of it or not. It is, in some ways, obsessed with order.
    When you assign a label to someone, you are instantly categorizing that person's characteristics and traits and attempting to group them with others with similar traits. We are, in a sense, making patterns out of randomness.
    Society gives us a pre-defined definition and a sort of vague idea of what most labels represent.
    You call someone your friend or girl that you know and people may think anything. If you call them your girlfriend, it gives people something to call you.