Would you date someone who still lives with their parents?

Assume you have your own place and they're not taking care of a sick family member.

1|3

Most Helpful Girls

• I think it depends on why. I live with my dad for safety reasons. And because at the point that I was ready to move back into my own space, my mom died and I couldn’t leave my dad.
    There are reasons for everything.

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on their age. If they are 35 and still at their parents that wouldn’t be a good sign

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• i feel like guys only move out to sleep with people.

girls only move into guys apts. to move out.

1|3
    0|0
  • I would hope so! Lol. Living with my parents gives me the opportunity to raise my credit easier without the worry of paying all the bills and it allows me to save up. I don't plan on ever getting an apartment, my first place is going to be a house, one fit for a family. I strive to be prepared for a wife and children.

Living by yourself make it hard to save up for a sizeable down payment, of which I think I will try to save up around 10-15 thousand for.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 43

• Major cultural difference here 😅 In my culture everyone stays with their parents until they get married (unless they need to live in another place for work). With that basis, if the guy has a stable/good income but isn't contributing to the household - like not paying the mortgage or utility bills - it would be unacceptable. If he can't take care of his parents then he probably can't take good care of me or would even be dependent on me. (Not a gender thing but a capability thing.)

0|5
    0|0
  • With the economy like is is today, I can understand living with parents to alleviate the costs of living, for the parent and adult child. But if the person isn't taking care of themselves and still relies on their parents' to clean, cook and pay all the bills, I'll pass

1|4
    0|1
  • If they are in their early 20’s, with a job (somehow contributing to their parents’ bills) then I have absolutely no problem dating them if they’re still living with their folks.

1|4
    0|0
  • I live at home with my parents so it's much easier when the guy doesn't either. Most guys my age have their own place so it hasn't been an issue yet. They don't mind that I still live at home.

1|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, I think I'd only be OK with it if one of us had our own place.

• Show All
    • Yeah and that's fine.

• @allie97 i think it depends on the guy. It all comes down to the relationship dynamics. Some guys would get a charge out of "taking care of her".

• My boyfriend still lived with his parents as we started our relationship (he was 27 at this point). It didn't bother me at the slightest but I was living with my parents aswell at that point therefore my opinion might be biased.
    I do not think that living on my own would have change my opinion about him though but I can only assume.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, this economy is so fucked up I find nothing shocking about saving money at home.

6|3
    0|0
    • I’m relieved people are finally starting to understand how messed up things are now. My mom even said it. Were screwed.🤬

• No! They should jump at the opportunity to feed a (probably well off) stranger their money every month 😂

As long as he treats me right and wants to be useful, who cares?

0|1
    0|1
  • It’s a pretty common thing for university students in Amsterdam if they are originally from here. Although not my preference (for obvious reasons) I wouldn’t reject someone over something that petty 😂

0|1
    0|0
  • At my age, I'd say it depends on his reasoning. Maybe he id still in college and can't efford to move out yet.

1|1
    0|0
  • I mean my family believes in moving out when your married so Im not gonna judge a guy that follows that. Hey he saves money.

1|4
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 65

• At my age, most ladies do not have parents who are still alive.

1|1
    0|0
    • In your case, would you date a Woman who lives with one of her Kids?

• Show All
    • Being involved with such a woman is very frustrating! Been there, done that!

• Makes sense to me. Point taken.

• LOL women won't date men who live with their parents but they have no problem dating men that are married.

2|2
    1|0
    • Some, yes. I completely agree. Ugly homewreckers.

• @heartbeatsflowers YES.. definitely not all but most of the women I have known that have dated married men basically stated they would never date men who live with their parents. Whacky thought process.

• Nothing wrong with men living with their parents unless if their parents pay everything for them... phone bills, car insurance, etc.

• Yes. I don't understand the stigma in the west of having to move out after 18. I live with my parents but pay them several hundred dollars a month in rent, but it is still maybe 1/3 the price of if I lived in my own apartment.

Literally saved 10's of thousands of dollars over the years living with them. It's great, they get money and someone to watch the house when they go out on the weekends & I get to save boatloads of money.

0|3
    0|0
  • Depends what they're doing, and what their potential is. There are other reasons why someone might live at home.

If she's somehow at home due to a divorce, getting cheated, somehow stolen identity, etc, I would be more open than if the woman was lazy and played video games all day, smoked pot, and or had maxed out credit cards on junk...

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on how old they are.
    It depends on I f they are going to college or not if they are in their 20s.
    If they are older (30s and 40s ) and doing it for a short time to get back on their feet or til they find a place then that’s fine.
    I hate to say it but I got out of my parents house as soon as I could and never went back... unless it was to visit.

0|1
    0|0
  • "Still" as in never left home? Not a western woman, for sure. But there are cultures that still live 3-4 generations in the same home, quite happily and healthily. There's significant research showing it's better for children than absentee parents, or even daycare or nannies in many cases.
    "Still" as in moved back home due to hardships? I wouldn't rule that out, but it's not exactly an attractive behavior if they're not caring for someone.

0|1
    0|0
  • In my case my current girlfriend lives with her parrents and it's a none issue. I just moved State side from. Puerto Rico so I'm currently living with my family untill I get back on my feet in this new place but after that I'm out I've been independent since I was 16-17

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure, i still live with my parents and im never going to leave them alone, in my country, a lot of people live with their parents, because we dont throw our parents in old age home when they get old, we take care of them and keep them in our own home and take complete care of them

0|1
    0|0
  • I would and I have. Guys lean towards yes while girls lean towards no. I wonder why

0|1
    0|0
    • Because guys just care about sex. Doesn’t matter where the girl lives lol. Women care about status, money, security etc. so the fact that you don’t have your own place would be a turnoff. At least that’s my interpretation of it

• @ktdec: That's Pretty accurate

• Yeah I don’t judge them. Not everyone is giving equal opportunities and chances so I won’t really have a problem with it. They’re more welcome to come over to my place whenever they want

1|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes