1 mo

I've been on 2 dates with a man who won't let me pay. Any thoughts?

I know I'm going to get complains from girls, haha (maybe some guys too?)

The reason why I asked is because I don't expect guys to pay for every date or everything on a date. I feel that guys shouldn't have to pay for everything simply because of the gender "male."

On first date with this man, we went for activities then dinner. When the check came for dinner, I asked him if I should get it since he paid for the activities, he said no thank you.

On second date, we did a different activity then lunch. When we were registering for the activity and the amount showed on the payment machine, I held my credit card by the machine and told him I didn't want to step on his toes but I thought I should pay this time, since he paid for everything last time.

He just calmly said "Do you mind?" I thought he asked if I minded paying, so asked for clarification, found that he meant if I minded that he paid. (I was actually going to swipe my card, but realized he did touchless payment already when he held his card closer to the machine than mine.)

When the check came for lunch, I said I should pay this one and put my card out by the check. He said something like thank you but it's okay, just take him out next time.

What do you think of the situation? For me, I don't want to take advantage of a nice man or let him pay for everything, but I'm also worried if things don't work out between us during the dating phase, I wouldn't want him to feel that he's provided so much but it was all in vain, or feel hurt.

I've also heard another woman said that she didn't want guys to think that because they paid, she had to go on subsequent dates with them. I agree with this way of thinking as well.

What are your thoughts, guys and girls? Thank you.
Updates
1 mo
I do like this guy's qualities based on our interactions, well, "man," not just a guy, but I'm still in the dating phase with him. We're not in a relationship yet (even then I wouldn't expect a guy to pay for everything in a relationship).
Updates
1 mo
1️⃣I got 2 more dates coming up with him. Any thoughts? 😅 2️⃣What if I ended up in a relationship with him, would I let him pay for everything?
Post Opinion