To Boldly Watch, Why More People Should Give Star Trek A Chance

Nerd Alert?

Well to each there own. However Star Trek is not just a series about sci-fi, lasers and starships. It is something deeper. With rich characters, stories and morals. It is something that a lot of people can learn from today. Many episodes address problems that we still face today. From racism, religion, greed and ethics, it has a lot of value for anyone looking to expand their perspective.

But it is boring

That is a matter of perspective. I do admit, there are some episode from the many different series that I wish could have been more engaging. However in some of the episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Voyager and The Next Generation had me at the edge of my seat. I don't want to go into too much details, no spoilers, but characters like Captain Benjamin Sisko (portrayed by Avery Brooks) and Captain Kathryn Janeway (portrayed by Kate Mulgrew) have had to face several dark and nerve-racking dilemmas. Not to mention that they also respectively promoted equality for both people of color (Sisko) and woman (Janeway) in the sense that they were both in positions of command and leadership. Anyways the plot of Voyager consisted of the starship Voyager that, during a mission, was swept away 70,000 light years away from their previous location. Need help getting perspective? Well Voyager 2 (A satellite launched from Earth in 1989) took about 12 years to get to Neptune, a planet in the outermost part of our solar system. Neptune from Earth is about 4 light "hours" (Not even years). Now imagine 70,000 light years . Now there are about 8760 hours in a year. It took 12 years to get to Neptune, so 70,000 light years. I am no Math genius, and I don't have enough fingers to count that high, but that is a lot of Neptunes.

I won't get it

No worries, there are a lot of things I don't get about it either. However there are many parts that I do see in today's society. The Ferengi for example.To Boldly Watch, Why More People Should Give Star Trek A Chance

The Ferengi are an alien species, who have a simple belief. The pursuit of wealth, greed is eternal. Sound familiar to anything in our world? They are a greed-driven species. One that puts the pursuit of wealth above anything else: morals, family etc. This is a sort of look at today's society in which several individuals pursue wealth at the cost of other people and our planet. Yet like the Ferengi they don't care, as long as they make a profit. I bet I can name a few famous individuals you'd recognize, who would make a perfect Ferengi, but I'm not going to get into politics right now. Beyond the Ferengi, there are many other points of Star Trek: From the Prime Directive, genetic experimentation, parallel universe, and time travel, that can really grab your interest.

I'm just not into sci-fi

To be honest, not everything about Star Trek is completely nerd-out sci-fi. It can really get down into the roots of civilizations that resemble a lot of Earth's past. From Theology, to westerns, even a trip back to the 1980s. The variety of settings that the many Star Trek series have utilize make it much more than just a typical Sci-fi. It is more about Philosophy and Morals. What was the episode really about? Was it something as simple as, don't count your chickens before they hatch, or something more complex like; The law governs that we do not interfere, but if we don't millions will die.

Star Trek is really very deep and each episode has a very significant meaning, that could be applied to even today's society. Not just that but the characters themselves, are so full of life. They are portrayed by some of the most dedicated people. They immerse themselves into the role. My personal favorites is The Doctor (portrayed by Robert Picardo) a holograhpic doctor, who is very sassy, is a character who develops himself throughout the Voyager series. Being only a hologram he had to adapt to being more than just a hologram but to adapt into becoming part of the crew. His journey is like one of an infant filling their curiosity. Also there is Miles O' Brien (portrayed by Colm Meaney), just your average human. He is the Chief of Operations of Deep Space Nine. He is a character who one can say is just an average joe. However his character is one who has to constantly face psychological traumas, whether it be torture, deadly infection, or in one episode a clone who replaced him who really believed he was the real Miles O'Brien (very intense episode).

Just give it a chance, It doesn't atter which series first

They all have their wonderful characters and captains from. Captain Kirk's bold cowboy-like exploration, Captain Picard's wisdom filled and analytical approach and Captain Sisko's sometimes you got to do what you got to do. It is a very rich series in where you will be bound to fall in love with one of the characters. There will definitely be an episode where you will laugh or even get lost in deep thought. Just give it a chance, and boldly go where your mind has not gone before.

720

Most Helpful Girl

• The only reason I haven't is because I'm a bit of a competitionist and want to start at the beginning. Watched a few episodes of TOS but it seems endless (and it bothers me when I start from somewhere else)

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 6

• i don't like 'deepspacenine' that much. Scott Bakala with his many roles played is excellent in his role on Enterprise.

• Nice myTake, I love Star Trek :)

• Love Star Trek!

• I'm not a nerd but I love Star Trek :)

• i miss watching that show with my dad

• What? These people exist?

What Guys Said 19

• The vast majority of Trek was shite.
    The reboot is beyond shite.
    The new CBS series... will be stillborn.

On its best day, Star Trek could be an awesome hour of television. But ever since the days of Berman and Braga it has been far too frequently about flashing lights, explosions, ferengi and tech'ing the tech so that the tech can tech the tech.

• When I was a kid, I loved the original Star Trek. It was the coolest show of it's time. When Next Generation came out, I watched about 5 or 6 seasons, but outgrew the whole Star Trek thing. Like all other franchises, they over-saturated the market with Star Trek. I can't even keep up with all the Star Trek movies, and I don't really care.

I DID like the Star Trek Enterprise series, though.

• One day when I was a little kid my mom and I went to a thrift shop, I began to sift through some old VHS tapes and found Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the rest is history. I love Star Trek I've watched just about everything.

• *shrug* Not everyone is into Sci-Fi. TNG was my favorite (they needed more Q episodes, he was a riot) but Enterprise was cancelled before they made their 7 seasons (the first time since the original), so I doubt there's going to be another series anytime soon other than movies (until those also bomb).

• I remember as kid trying to watch The Next Generation and just finding it boring. I like science fiction shows but it would have to be something like The Twilight Zone (original) which I really loved as I love Rod Sterling and his stories as it mixes reality with science fiction and what's if scenarios. I guess Star Trek is one of those shows that I couldn't see myself as an adult getting into. I seen the new Star Trek movies and thought the first one was good.

• The first two series made by the original creator -- Original Series and Next Generation -- were true Star Trek. Human stories about very real issues set in the future. It kind of lost its way after that. Although parts of DS9 and Enterprise were entertaining, Star Trek was never supposed to revolve around Dominion Wars, Temporal Cold Wars, Borg wars, etc. So anyone wanting to know what it's really about should check out the first series and/or TNG.

Thank you for not including any pics of Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto in your Take. :)

• Star Trek is one of the best Science Fiction tv shows and movies in history, great Take 👍

• I consider TNG the pinnacle... they really captured the feel of everything you'd experience on a starship like that. Not just the weird and unexpected but the routine. DS9 went too far with the routine and so had to have the Dominion War to make it interesting again.

Since then, every show and movie has been pitched about "recapturing the feeling of exploration of the unknown" TOS supposedly had. TOS where almost every planet they visited had parallels with Earth history. Meh. Voyager was a good attempt, Voyager got too preachy, and now we have Discovery which is set at the same time as TOS... and the JJ Abrams movies which are barely Star Trek.

• I love the original star track show. The one that came after that were more of violence and I did not care for them.

• I like star trek and am a treky... but I love STAR WARS MORE...

• Go for rules of acquisition.

*looks for Orion slave girl. *

• Used to love it. DS9 especially. I think at on stage the next generation, DS9 and voyager were running at the same time which was a golden time for Start rekindle kinda like when the next generation came out after Startrek6. You be honest I don't like the new films that much, in it the enterprise is like the crapest starship in the Galaxy and captain kirk never captains it when shit goes down , usually Sulu or Spock does and the aliens are bullshit I mean if they are so much faster and stronger than humans why not punch a hole in kirk's chest and rip his heart out in front of him.

• Resistance is futile.

• Next generation is my fav

• *keeps scrolling for that start wars commenter

• next generation was the only good series. the rest were awful.

• I like/have all of them except the original series.

• Star Trek is dead. Mass effect is far better

• Needs more T&A