Star Wars - A Faded Hope

Star Wars - A Faded Hope

Star Wars - The Lucas Years

When Star Wars - A New Hope came out in 1977, it just blew me away, along with everybody else in the audience. People were actually clapping their approval at the end, and I wanted the story to just continue running. George Lucas created one of those movies that emotionally pulls you in, you forget you’re in a theater on Earth, and you actually feel you are there with Luke, Han, Leia, and all the rest of them. Empire Strikes Back was also good, even though it was a lot more melancholy, and the good guys were always on the run. Return Of The Jedi was a terrific ending to a great epic. The prequels (the Jar-Jar Binks ones) weren’t as good, but they still had that Star Wars connection.

The Disney Years

Many years later, Star Wars creator George Lucas handed the franchise over to Disney. Kathleen Kennedy, who had worked for Lucas and Steven Spielberg for years, was put in charge as producer. I had thought that it would be great to have some more Star Wars movies. There were rumors for years about Lucas having an idea for three more Star Wars movies set after Return Of The Jedi, but that never happened with him. He handed some ideas over to Kennedy concerning which direction they wanted to go, but as I heard it, these ideas were tossed in the trash. Still, Kennedy seemed to know what she was doing, so I took it on faith that she could come up with some good ideas. Rogue One was good, as it fit right into A New Hope (also, Felicity Jones was pretty cute).

In this video, Kathleen Kennedy lies to George Lucas, to his face, about not changing the existing Star Wars characters.

When The Force Awakens came out, I had some doubts. The New Order, looked just like the Empire from the original. Their uniforms were altered a bit, but still pretty much had that same Nazi officer style from before. They had this secret mega-weapon that could destroy planets, just like the death star, which the good guys had to knock out. Kylo Ren had a pretty cool looking face mask, but other than that, he was just a Darth Vader ‘mini-me’. The cast was very diverse, which was fine with me, as it kind of over-compensated for the all-white cast in A New Hope. Rey was interesting, but she was giving off the impression of being a Mary Sue (A Mary Sue is a woman hero who always wins with no effort, just because she’s a woman). Harrison Ford AND Carrie Fisher both looked old, and didn’t have much impact anyway. As expensive as this film was, it seemed like it shouldn’t have even been made. It was a retread of what had already been done before.

Much worse was The Last Jedi. In The Force Awakens, the buildup was that Rey needed to find Luke Skywalker, who had been in seclusion for some 20 years. When she finally finds him, she hands the light saber to him, and I’m thinking, “Alright! Luke’s there, and he ALWAYS gets it done!” What happened next was the biggest of letdowns. He just tosses it over his shoulder, and sulks away. Rian Johnson was the director for The Last Jedi, and apparently, his style is ‘subversion’. That is, to make a shocking breakaway from what has already been established, and moving in an entirely new direction. Johnson destroyed virtually EVERYTHING from the past, to set a new course.

Luke was always positive, in fact, that’s why A New Hope was titled the way it was. Jedi Master Yoda had told Luke that Darth Vader could never be turned from the dark side of the Force, and Luke proved him wrong. Now, Rian Johnson has painted Luke as a pathetic old curmudgeon, who’s been hiding for 20 years. Luke provides Rey with virtually NO guidance, although it doesn’t seem to matter anyway, since Johnson has turned Rey into a full-blown Mary Sue. Luke DOES show up for the final confrontation, and I’m thinking, “At last, Luke is back to kick some ass!”, but Johnson pulls another one of his ‘subversion’ moves, and has Luke as just an illusion, while the REAL Luke just plain disappears. Leia is blasted into space, and presumably killed, but once again, Johnson pulls another twist, and has Leia doing a Mary Poppins-style float back to the ship. Then there’s the ‘code breaker’. When I first saw this guy, he seemed like an untrustworthy slime ball, but I figured he’d redeem himself and do something positive. That turned out to be a wrong assumption, he was just a slime ball the whole time, who didn’t do ANYTHING.

Flying a ship into hyperspace to blow up an enemy ship shows that Johnson doesn’t understand the concept of hyperspace. Hyperspace isn’t about ‘flying extremely fast’. If it were, then the rebels could have destroyed the death stars that way. it’s about taking a ship into another dimension, and then taking it out of that dimension. Star Wars had always had the concept of Jedi master/ Jedi student, and it took a student a long time to master the Force. Not anymore, now you can just touch somebody, and enhance their Force powers.

The Last Jedi is RIDDLED with SJW agenda. The women are all strong, but the men are cucked, and are portrayed as either stupid, evil, or both. The bad guys are all white males. The purpose of Holdo (or Old Ho) is to smack down Poe, and put him in his place, because he’s an impulsive, stupid MAN. Holdo, of course, gets to save the day by doing a suicide run. Holdo even LOOKS like a purple-haired feminazi. Finn also tries to save his comrades by doing a suicide run, but he’s sabotaged by Rose, who tells him, “It’s all about love”, or something like that. Rose also leads a bunch of horse-like animals through a casino to freedom, because “It’s the right thing to do.” Any thought to what happens to these animals once they’re freed?

Kennedy had said that the old characters Luke, Leia, and Han were VERY important for the new Star Wars trilogy, and that’s true, but not for the reason you might think. They were important as far as luring the old Star Wars fans into the new series, then they were eliminated to make way for the newer characters. Han is killed off, Luke is turned into a broken cretan and just plain disappears, but Leia is kept alive, because she’s a WOMAN, and fits the feminist agenda of a strong woman.

Where Does It Go From Here?

The damage done by the story of The Last Jedi destroyed the Star Wars legacy. Even if Disney did a complete 180 to repair what’s been done, it’s too late. Part of the fun of the originals was anticipating when the next one would come out, as they were spaced about 2 or 3 years apart. Disney has the idea of saturating the market with Star Wars movies, which will eventually lead to people just being tired of the whole thing. The original Star Wars series is something I’ll always love, Rogue One is really good, and I can even put up with the prequels, but the new series is kind of like visiting the corpse of an old friend. The corpse LOOKS like an old friend, but that friend is long gone. I won’t be watching any more new Star Wars movies.

1048

Most Helpful Girl

• The new ones are crap.
    Rogue squadron was fine but certain bits of the story were muddled.
    The last Jedi was pure shit and almost unwatchable but for a few scenes.
    "But if you kill your enemies they win" wtf

• Storm troopers just aren’t clones anymore. Fin says he’s what some of them look like. There’s even a superior rank female Storm trooper!

It makes sense that Rey is great at repairs, but she couldn’t have instantly know the Falcon inside and out. Also totally agree about the piloting. She couldn’t even practice flying, having only just enough money to own a speeder.

Rey also not only learns the Force like a kid learning how to cook, but she could do mind tricks just by talking. (And before being taught about them.) They’re supposed to look them in the eye and do the hand gesture.

• Oh, I forgot, according to Kathleen Kennedy, 'The Force Is Female'. I didn't know the Force had a gender, but if Rey can kick the shit out of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, and Leia can defy death by flying through space, then maybe the Force IS female! LOL!

• Storm troopers I think we're mostly not clones anymore in the empire but stormstrooper Finn was stolen as child and raised to be a stormstrooper by the first order like many others. https://youtu.be/qIF4WC2UCn0
      Kathleen Kennedy has butchered star wars by pushing feminist and SJW bullshit rather than just making a good movie.
      It's no coincidence that all the bad guys are white and male and that Rey and the rest of the resistance leadership are white females leading a rag-tag band POC rebels against the evil empire/patriarchy because white feminist saviour complex is a major part of white feminism. It's reflective of how Kathleen Kennedy sees herself.
      https://imgflip.com/i/229cfh

Most Helpful Guys

• The Last Jedi was an abortion of a film and I refused to see Solo as a result. I think we agree on most things. The main points of agreement that I see.
    1) The franchise has taken a huge blow. The damage that's been done to it with these last two films especially are grievous. They're hemorrhaging and now losing money. They alienated or insulted their biggest fans, they've shown the general public that they're shit at writing coherent stories, and as a result they've lost all the momentum they had going into Awakens. It's not easy to generate that momentum and they've lost all of it.
    -I wanted to use my friend as an example as "biggest fan". He's a big DC fan and buys repeated tickets to all of their movies. Further he contributes to their finances with the purchase of those "dolls" that are incredibly expensive. Just with this last comicon he spent $2000 on Batman memorabilia alone. The similar Star Wars fans who were upset with these awful movies have now been labeled "misogynists and bigots" by Rians, JJ, and Kathleen. These fans will not contribute to their abusers. Especially not for such a mediocre product.

2) The last movie I saw was Last Jedi and I'm still fucking pissed off about it. It was such an abortion of a film that I'm flabbergasted that no one smacked that fucking smile off of Rian's face and told him that he couldn't do this to the fans. He can't just piss on our leg, tell us it's raining and expect us to not be fucking pissed. The story was awful. None of it made sense. All the characters were poorly written. The plot was entirely shit. The writing was so abhorrent that the characters couldn't even figure out if they were the "rebellion" or the "resistance" and they kept oscillating between the two names throughout. The sophomoric morality and rhetoric laced throughout the movie is insulting to not only the adult audience, but also the children. "Oh don't worry I can die at peace now because I released animals for a few hours... Oh you were asking about those child slaves that will likely be beaten because they let us escape? Fuck em."
    -Getting a tad emotional time to step back-

3) Lastly I'd like to briefly touch on what I think was the personal and intentional assassination of everyone's beloved Luke. Mark Hammill himself said that none of this Luke was right. Fans had been waiting decades to see their childhood hero after the last films. Someone that many people viewed as a personal hero that was formative in their development

• was intentionally dragged through the mud. Within the first minute of us seeing him he was shown to discard the Jedi and then be a disgusting, washed up, old man drinking alien milk and letting it dribble down his chin. He's closed himself off to the force, has no hope, ridicules a student, family member, and even says that there can be no redemption from him. This was a disgusting and shocking change for Luke and many people were deeply upset about it. Now, if they wanted to do this I think they could've and it would've been impactful, but the manner in which they did so was so slapdash and unreserved that it seems a deliberate insult to the audience in my opinion.

This guy does the best review of the movie.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7pcCj0ORk

• Star Wars ended after Episode VI. Everything afterwards has been infantalised, picked non-charismatic actors, whored for the chinese market who didn't buy it and is just plain mediocre. Aside from the special effects. They were pretty good. But it's not Star Wars anymore and I am glad it's crashing with Han Solo and hope it continues so that it doesn't spit on the grave any more.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 9

• Really didn’t like last Jedi and force awakens. Rogue one was nice but had no character depth. I just watched Solo yesterday though and really liked it, to my surprise. The actor really managed to get Harrison ford’s mannerisms of Han to the t. I’m not sure what all the hate for it is about. It wasn’t childish at all like last Jedi (which Disney has the habit of doing), except for one of the robots but that was easily forgotten.

• Honestly I’m always thoroughly disappointed with the Star Wars film.

Like it’s be great for 5 ur olds in the vein of power rangers but it’s over hyped and sold to adults.

I enjoyed rogue one but even that was campy. And I had seriously low expectations so when I saw a move that was like 3/4 stars at best I was happy.

• I like all 6 Star Wars movies from 1977 to 2005. I'm disappointed with the last 6 releases since 2006.

• The only reason I know anything about Star Wars is because of the Lego games

• I haven't watched a single episode of star wars. The idea itself never appealed to me.
    I'm pathetic lol
    But I haven't received any good response from people who actually did watch it.

• The only good ones are episodes 4, 5, 6, and Rogue One.

• Nice take

• I've never been a Star Wars fan.

• i'd never watch

• Agreed

What Guys Said 46

• I found 2 and 3 the least memorable.

1 had both good and really bad parts.

7 and 8 I thought were fine. both have the sw staple (ot did this too) where huge amounts of time get spent on things that seem really unimportant and it's not like great character development is happening. It's just constant macguffins. The luke projection was really cool tbh, I mean he looked younger, had no footprints, but he saved the day. It was cool. I find kylo interesting, what is with all the traditional 'emotions lead to the dark side' and everyone dark side is completely self-controlled and emotionless. I like Finn a lot too, he makes me think of a han solo in formation who hasn't -quite- mastered bluffing his way through anywhere his skills aren't quite there.

Rogue one, you know it was a spin off, but it had buzz, and the buzz was heavily driven off that vader sequence. Everyone who saw the movie told people to watch it. My coworker watched solo, he told me it was good, but nothing has made me rush out to watch it.

I'm looking forward mildly to 9, when it comes out, I will go see it for sure.

I wish they'd make old republic era stuff.

• The Force is strong with you @MarkRet.

Indeed Disney had underestimated the power of the Dark Side and fell the world into darkness.

But young Padawan, there is always hope. Trust in the Force:
    SOLO HAS RETURN!

And I absolutely like the Return of Lucas Film and Master John William.

FEEL THE FORCE again. Let it flow through you. The piece of JUNK fly again. And it's so wonderful to feel the special force between Han and Chewbaka.

May the force be with you, always!

• KKK and Rian Johnson have face wrecked the new trilogy. 2 movies in is a done deal. There's really no going back on it. What really irks me about the Last Jedi was there were elements within the Force Awakens, though I didn't care for it as a whole, that we could work with. It wasn't completely ruined. Luke's return, Snoke's origin, the Knights of Ren, Rey not being a Mary Sue, Finn being useful, all of those were more than possible moving forward from the Force Awakens. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Rian Johnson practically threw everything JJ had in store for us out the window and just wrote his own tiny little universe. Continuity? What's that? Fandom? Who are they? Story writing? That's for amateurs! Respect? Pfffffffffft, only the pros piss on their fans! Everything I had hoped for in the Last Jedi was soundly crushed from the moment the movie started. Unless Disney does a complete retcon, which I actually welcome at this point, I don't see how episode IX is salvageable. There is nothing left to work with. Rian Johnson wrote everything out that we actually liked and replaced with SJW bullshit pulled straight from his ass.

• People are complaining about the new Star Wars. Hey, I dislike it also.

But "Force Awakens" made over 2 billion dollars.

No one cares about your Anti-PC issues. It is funny how you guys insert that crap into every debate. These movies are made for money not to reinforce your political beliefs. They are bringing in hard cold cash. So get ready to do more crying.

• As soon as Disney bought Star Wars, the saga was over. I knew they would want to change everything, and they did. They did even worse than I feared.
    They ruined it for fans, they ruined it for Lucas, they even ruined it for Mark Hamill.
    They has so much, SO MUCH to do with the extended universe, and yet, here we are.
    Watching a movie about a Mary Sue being more powerful than Master Skywalker himself.
    An idiot who doomed the rebellion because "lol we no kil enemiz its mean". Fuck you Rose.
    They replaced historical characters loved by everyone, by random idiots who are as interesting and charismatic as a pebble.
    And of course, their SJW bullshit that is more important to them than the quality of the scenario.
    They even fucked up Han Solo, the coolest guy in the galaxy, with an insanely bad movie.
    They even succedded in rehabilitating Jar Jar Binks, who is not considered the worse character of the saga anymore. They made people actually prefer FUCKING JAR JAR more than the other characters they created.
    I'm so fucking mad.

• Pretty much everything I explained in my own Take I wrote about The Last Jedi last month. Star Wars is dead from here on, and it's a real shame to piss on such a great franchise.

The good news is that apparently Kathleen Kennedy will be stepping down in September. Rumors for now, but hopefully will be true.

• I think it could be pulled back if they get a decent director to do a few old republic movies. Though they did mess up enough for me to know I'm not watching the 9th movie in theaters. I've seen 8 in theaters, haven't seen Rogue One, The Last Jedi and haven't seen Solo yet.

• Good points.

Haven't even watched the latest Star Wars movies (and I am old enough to have seen the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi at movie theaters and had Star Wars figures for my sixth bithday as presents).

• I thought force awakens was good, but it’s essentially a remake of a new hope with different characters.

I think that once Disney bought out Star Wars and Marvel, they just overdid it by releasing a new Star Wars movie every year and multiple a year for Marvel that it’s hard to keep up.

• As much as it pain she me to say it. THE main story is dead, all hail the spin offs (since Rogue One and SOlo are the best Star Wars films since the Disney buy. Also those directors (GAreth Edwards and Ron Howard respectively) actually captured the spirit of a Star Wars movie while also making something new. Also the MCU has pretty much ushered in a new era of films dominating cinema, especially with Infinity War.

• I loved The Force Awakens! I know the problems with it. I know it's a episode 4 copy and the convenience but i don't care. It built up to a lot of cool stuff, and i had the most fun at a Star Wars movie that i had ever had. It was the first Star Wars movie i saw in the cinema.

• Show more from Guys
    36