How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

So I know this review comes reeeeeeeally late, months after The Last Jedi opened in December 2017, but I post it now because the film is out on BluRay and not only have I wanted to for weeks and been caught up, but also because fan backlash against the movie has really heightened at this point even now.

I know not many Gaggers are Star Wars fans but there are still those of us here who are, so you might agree with me. In the beginning the media kept trying to make it like we fans are split on the movie but I’m pretty sure most of us really did not like it, which has to be true or else the movie’s revenue wouldn’t have declined as badly as it did over the weeks it was airing. It is to me the worst Star Wars movie ever now, even worse than Attack of the Clones which I never liked.

So if any SW fans here have NOT yet seen The Last Jedi - and I really can’t see how you wouldn’t have by now - then I will of course advise you not to read this Take until you do. For the rest of us, let’s take a journey to the Dark Side.

Rian Johnson had no business directing this movie…

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

First and foremost, the biggest problem with this movie was director Rian Johnson. He should not at all have been allowed to make The Last Jedi. I found his vision of the story and continuation of JJ Abrams’ The Force Awakens - which also wasn’t a great movie but decent - to actually be quite disrespectful, and he purposelly disregards plots and character development that JJ set up in TFA.

Johnson called himself wanting to take things into a different turn that would surprise us. And he did just that. But not in a good way. He killed off 5 major characters which was not even necessary, and created a ridiculous ending with Luke coming face-to-face with Kylo Ren as really an illusion of “Force projection” before finally “passing on” into the Force. And let me not forget how sickeningly Disney-fied the very end was with the slave children on Canto Bight.

Finn, the only black character, is made a joke…

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

What many of us fans noticed in The Last Jedi - even many white people - was the bigoted undertones in how the character of Finn was a complete letdown. Ever since The Force Awakens came out, there have been many racist white male Star Wars fans - and even some females - who have strongly been trying to deny that Finn will be a Jedi despite the hints that JJ Abrams and even Disney was giving us, and despite the articles about Jon Boyega doing kendo sword training for the films.

Rian Johnson must’ve also wanted to stay true to those themes of denial because he completely downgraded Finn’s character in The Last Jedi and made him a continued black joke to the film. Not only did we see him take more of a backseat, but nothing was further explored about Finn’s own Force potential and background that made us all curious in The Force Awakens. Even Jon Boyega himself expressed that he was somewhat disappointed by Johnson not going into more detail about him as was speculated or even really planned.

Racial diversity? Or covert racism?...

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

Also the introduction of Rose Tico - Star Wars’ first Asian character - was produced unfairly as well. Disney called themselves trying to introduce more non-white characters but still failed to do them justice. While many SW fans felt that Rose was unnecessary, I thought she was a good addition but should’ve been applied a lot better than Rian did in a half-assed way. To make it worse, Rian crafted Finn to first show up in The Last Jedi by comedically waking up from the coma he was in at the end of The Force Awakens and walks around in a leaking bacta suit. Then Rose is now the one who ends up in a coma at the end of the movie from trying to save Finn from sacrificing himself at the more-than-underwhelming Battle of Crait.

Rian also wants things to end where there is a possibility that Rose and Finn might have a relationship, a theme that moves away from Rey and Finn being together as was getting set up. This move really just ends up looking like a white male director who doesn’t want a black man with his women, so he decides to isolate the black character with another non-white one, what some people might still say is progressive in portraying more interracial relationships - which is true, and there was even a group of Asian girls cheering in the theater when Rose kissed Finn the second time I went to see it - but when a romance between a black and white is hindered by a white male, that doesn’t look particularly good.

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

Rian and Disney failed the people of color in this film. Basically throwing in some diversity to make the rest of us non-white people happy and feel included when in the end we really just felt like degraded after-thoughts.

Snoke’s death was quite bothersome…

Another bit of nasty icing to the cake is the death of the much anticipated Supreme Leader Snoke. Many of us fans could not wait to see more of him in The Last Jedi and find out just exactly who or what he was, with a lot of us speculating that he really might turn out to be the mysterious and very powerful Darth Plagueis that Palpatine told Anakin about in Revenge of the Sith.

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

But once again, Rian decided to throw a wrench in the possibility of Snoke’s background ever being revealed by calling himself shocking us and having Kylo kill him about 3/4 into the movie. Not at the end, and not even at the end of the next movie like we all would’ve expected. Snoke is killed considerably early for a supervillain, and if all this is not disappointing enough, I also couldn’t help but find the nature of his death to be somewhat grim for a Star Wars movie, especially what is said to be for kids. Kylo uses the Force to put Luke’s lightsaber through Snoke and then pulls it out of him through the air, with him falling in half in a dark, dismal moment, and there is even something bothersome about the way Rey takes the lightsaber and gets up with no reaction or regard for how Snoke just died.

(Ignore the Japanese subtitles, was the best clip I could find with his entire last lines)

I will say, however, that Snoke’s lines leading up to that moment were actually the best, most dramatic, and most powerful script out of the entire movie.

A character killing spree…

As I noted earlier, Rian had 5 significant characters done away with in The Last Jedi: Luke - which I’m not even gonna bother getting into because I’m still flabbergasted, Snoke, Captain Phasma, Admiral Holdo, and the long time loved Admiral Ackbar, which was not even necessary to get rid of him. While I always thought Captain Phasma was pretty useless in this new trilogy, I was still expecting her to be more present in The Last Jedi and be a bigger character, but instead she only appears near the end for a quick few moments to battle with Finn in another short scene that has him as a 1-minute hero uh-gain.

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

I was really disappointed in Admiral Holdo being deleted as well. I loved the purple hair and her halo thing, and was expecting her to make it on through to Episode 9 and do more. But instead, Rian has her sacrifice herself by turning the Rebel - sorry, “Resistance” - mothership around and using it’s last bit of hyperspace fuel to shoot it through Snoke’s juggernaut.

What I also noticed was that most of the people we saw die in the movie were women and people of color: Rose’s sister at the beginning, Tallie who was Po’s co-pilot, the black pilot who gave Holdo a final salute near the end, and then of course Holdo and Phasma themselves. Kinda fishy.

Kathleen Kennedy is killing Star Wars...

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

Ultimately, it all comes down to Disney’s Kathleen Kennedy who is now in charge of Lucasfilms. In my opinion I think it was an utter mistake for George Lucas to go and sell his years of work to the hands of Disney. If he really wanted to close a deal with somebody, it should not have been them. I know he had issues with 20th Century Fox in years past but even they would’ve been a better choice.

Kathleen Kennedy and Disney have let Star Wars slowly fall apart, and their choices for directors and plots for the new trilogy have not been good. Even Mark Hamill thinks it’s a disaster and argued with Rian about plots in The Last Jedi. These people do not know what they’re doing, arrogantly choosing to disregard fans, flip flopping plots, and trying to display gender and racial progress in the films yet contradicting it. However, the only best new Star Wars film to have been made was the stand-alone Rogue One, and that was not influenced by Kathleen Kennedy. Though I'm not particularly excited about Solo: A Star Wars Story.

How Star Wars: The Last Jedi Failed

As much as I love Star Wars I am glad that The Last Jedi has become increasingly criticized, as I also am even glad that movies like Black Panther and Infinity War have outdone it at the box office. Unfortunately however, Rian Johnson and Disney will continue to stand by their film as a great story, and with that being the case, it only creates worry for what’s in store to come in Episode 9.

#StarWars

831
ManOnFire is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• There was too much social justice warriors bullcrap in it and the whole thing represents white feminist saviour complex which most feminists have. Basically white feminist saviour complex is white feminist's belief that they can and should lead POC against the patriarchy.
    Rey is a Mary Sue.
    Finn is a token black guy and the only black stormstrooper ever
    Rose is a terrible charcter and was hated in China.
    Holdo was a feminazi
    Kylo ren was a bitch nearly the whole movie.

Most Helpful Guys

• Ι fuckin hate this movie. Snoke was killed right when he became so interesting.
    Also let me add that Ruin Johnson said "We need more directors who aren't White dudes".
    This was said by a White "dude" who was offered an whole new trilogy to work on and accepted the offer. Johnson you retarded, Star Wars-destroying piece of shit, be the change you wanna be and give your new trilogy to some non-White director. Spare us your virtue signalling motherfucking piece of shit who destroyed our childhood!!!1!!!

• I kind of liked it. And for what its worth, I think Finn is the best character in the sequel trilogy. I never thought he'd be a jedi - I don't recall him ever showing any force ability? I see him as a young version of han solo, who hasn't actually figured out how to bluff his way through as many situations yet. He's sort of self focused, very self preserving, but compassionate and loyal to the people he cares about, has some skills, and is good under pressure, but is clearly bluffing when he's at the table with the serious powers... I think he's awesome.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 7

• The aura of the Star Wars story is no longer as interesting as it used to be.

• I mostly agree. I was also disappointed with Snoke being killed off, though perhaps their reasons might be sound depending on what direction they go with Kylo Ren.
    I do disagree on whether George Lucas was wrong to sell the rights to Disney. Personally, whatever their flaws (and they do have them), The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Rogue One (which I particularly liked) are markedly better films than the three which preceded them.

• Whaaaaat? Better than the prequels? No waaaaaay. We're not gonna agree on that lol.

• @Robbey The Empire Strikes Back is still best. And I'm one of few fans who actually does like Return of the Jedi.

• @TripleAce - Honestly, apart from being an amazing film, New Hope is my probably favorite because of happy childhood memories with Rogue One being a very close second. Empire Strikes Back was so dark and effin' amazing too. I still love it.

The prequels being about Vader made complete sense but I didn't the story, or really much else about them apart from most of the Cast and I thought the special effects were good.

@ManOnFire - I really liked Return of the Jedi too. Although, I'm not particularly fond of Ewoks.

• I agree with almost everything you said.

• What's the less-than-almost part you don't agree with? Let's talk about it lol.

• They're not going to fire, but it's speculated that they might move her somewhere else in the company.

• Probly the best idea all around

• why is 40% of your reasons about race

• Get lost.

• okay, lmaooo i can't do this, im so sorry, i totally started trolling. i'll stop

• Thankyou😌

• Never saw the movie.

• Interesting

• agree

What Guys Said 29

• I agree with you. I personally rate this movie a 7/10, it had it’s moments. While I’m glad they put in a major Asian character that actually “lived” through the whole film and got a lot of screen time, I don’t really like how they made her seem like a PG comic relief rather than a dominant character. I didn’t really expect Finn and Rose to fall in love with each other, I saw their relationship resembling Indiana Jones and short round.

The best scenes where Rey and Kylo fighting along side each other, Luke’s last stand, Yoda’s cameo, the chase on the “casino planet”, Finn battling “chrome dome” and the very last scene implying that the Jedi may rise again.

I didn’t really like that purple haired character though, she seemed incompetent and ungrateful. I agree snoke was killed too soon and the battle of Crait was a let down.

I agree Kathleen Kennedy shouldn’t have anything to do with Star Wars or any other major iconic Franchise. For the sake of the Indiana Jones series, let’s hope Spielberg isn’t actually serious about making a “female Indiana Jones” after Indiana Jones 5.

• Kathleen Kennedy had said beforehand that Luke would be a very important and valuable character in The Last Jedi, and in a way, she's right. This trilogy used Luke, Han Solo, and Leia as bait to lure Star Wars fans into watching The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and whatever additional crap movies Disney is pooping out. When the fans are lured in, Han is then killed off, Luke is turned into a pathetic curmudgeon and disappears, but Leia is kept alive, because she fits the feminist SJW agenda being pushed in this trilogy.

The cast is very diverse, but the bad guys are white males. Actually, ALL the males in this trilogy are portrayed as either stupid, evil, or both. Although I like Rey, she's definitely a Mary Sue. She becomes the most powerful Jedi ever, with virtually NO training.

Rian Johnson said that he deliberately made The Last Jedi in such a way that it would be divisive to Star Wars fans. He said some will love it, and others will hate it. To top it off, he said he really doesn't CARE. Why he would do this, is beyond me, but I'm not watching any more Star Wars movies. To me, this series is dead.

• Harrison Ford had wanted his character killed off since The Empire Strikes Back

• @moviedude714 - That's true. Harrison Ford said something like 'They really just needed Han Solo to bring al the other characters together. After that, you might as well just kill Han off.' Ford might have thought his character was no longer needed, but the fans still wanted him for Return Of The Jedi, and keeping him around for that turned out to be a good move. Still, I think the sole purpose of Han in The Force Awakens was simply to lure in the 'old time' Star Wars fans.

• I'm not a huge star wars fan to begin with, so as someone casually watching these, I still feel they failed big time with this movie.

Biggest issue comes with the bit with Kylo Ren and Rey almost joining forces. They were doing something I never considered they'd do in the series, be against Jedi AND Sith and try to find a balance that way, but instead it decides "oops nevermind" and the entire thing goes straight back to Sith vs Jedi? Wth? Like what was the point of all that build up then?
    Actually they do that twice in the movie, the second is when Poe takes over to help the teammates and you think "Yeah you go Poe! Forget rules, you gotta be a leader!" and then they throw in some bs like "Oh poe was stupid, there was a planet they can go to right there. Poe did nothing really." More build up for absolutely nothing in my opinion.

Also that bit with Leia coming back from out in space... idek if cheesy is the word for that but all i know is I watched that part thinking "Yeaaah, no."

• The real let down is that Disney simply wants to alter and change STARWARS. Getting rid of so much of it that was great and making it Legends.

They want an easy money making slate cleaned off of old character so they can sell new toys. Who cares about the movies and tv shows cause all the money is in the sales of toys and other crap.

• I can't even begin to disagree with you since I only get 2500 characters.
    I agree that the Last Jedi is not without its flaws just like any other Star Wars movie. However the main reason that fans did not like this was because it went against their expectations, and Johnson was never intending to go along with expectations.
    You're upset Finn was made a joke? Every Star Wars movie has always had comic relief usually provided by C-3PO and R2 but as these two characters are not Primary in these films Finn was chosen to be the comic relief. Don't be confused, there was never any indication that he had force abilities. It was even stated that all Stormtrooper had some kind of lightsaber training in the first order. By the way, let's not forget that Finn has only been a good guy for about five days, and spent most of the first movie trying to run away like a coward, the same in this film where he's trying to run away as soon as he wakes up. And so they were friends there was never a romantic link between rey and finn. Totally platonic.
    You stated unnecessary to kill Ackbar? Totally disagree with you. The Last Jedi, very similar to Empire Strikes Back, was supposed to show just how hopeless the rebels were. They had even lost all their leaders. If Akbar had survived then they still would have felt hope in his capable hands. To give them the feeling of hopelessness and for Poe to be so resistant, all of the leaders they respected had to be gone.
    Who said Phasma was dead?
    And Snoke is Plagueis? If Palpatine killed him and he was able to come back to life... Why not be able to do it again?
    And the gruesome way he died? Every Star Wars some kind some kind of lightsaber amputation. Darth Maul bissected, Anakin's arm cut off, Anakin's OTHER arm cut off, Been cut off arm in cantina, Vader cut Luke's hand off, Luke cut Vader's hand off, but no amputation in TFA. Johnson had to bring it back.
    Ugh... Much more to debate. Not enough Characters

• Disney made TLJ a SJW fuckfest, and that was bound to happen, since that's what they do with everything they touch these days.
    And we knew they didn't care about the fan since they said everything canon was suddenly disregarded and not canon anymore. They had a huge extended universe, with great stories made by great authors, and they threw it all to the toilets, so they could erase everything and make their own saga.
    The 3 old heroes had to disappear so Disney could replace them with their own. Except their own suck.
    Rey is a fucking Mary Sue, more powerful than Luke was without training. And she's a fucking no-name. Who were here parents? We'll never know, since Disney fucked up and just made them some random people fleeing in a spaceship. She was just here to replace Luke as the most powerful Jedi. Then they killed him, stupidly.
    Finn is a clown, here to replace Solo as the comedian of the group. As a result, even his good moments are jokes and he's just joking around all the time. Of course, Ford wanted Solo to die, so he was the first replaced.
    Poe is just here to replace Leia as the Resistance/Rebel hero. I'm sure Disney had a plan to kill Leia, but they must have been happy when Carrie Fischer died, they didn't even need to kill her on screen! She'll just die with a stupid reason off screen and that's how our Princess will disappear.

The others? Fucking lol.
    Snoke? A sith coming out of the galaxy's asshole, he died miserably like a stupid apprentice and no one knows who the fuck he was.
    Rose, who basically fucked the Resistance because "lol we no kil enemiz bc its bad to kil". Fuck you, Rose. We win because we kill them and they don't kill us.
    Admiral Holdo? Well hello, feminist cliché of the purple haired strong woman. At least she was kinda useful, unlike FUCKING ROSE.

And you think this is over? Lol. Solo is already bashed because it's boring and the main actor is a joke. And episode 9 is coming, and you can bet a kidney that it will sucks even more than Mississippi Bongo in her prime.

• many fans, and me included, want there to be an actual, face to face, confrontation between Uncle and Nephew, an actual lightsaber battle between Luke and Kylo Ren, and if Luke had to die, his death should have been saved until Episode 9, also, Luke should have been potrayed as more powerful, shown how much he has grown in the force since the days of the original trilogy, instead they had him potrayed kind of weak, also, they deleted a scene showing Luke mourning Han Solo's death.

• This was my biggest criticism! Like... if Luke was going to die in the end, why not have him physically fly his X-wing to the salt planet and have an actual saber battle with Kylo?

They could've set it up in such a way where like the Rebels were outnumbered, getting desperate, maybe as they're getting taken out on their way to the planet by Snoke's ship, or when Finn is flying towards the big cannon trying to be a hero... like Luke senses all the tension in the Force and the music and film editing picks up and shows the Rebel struggle, and Luke raises his X-wing out of the ocean, (like they set up as a perfect foreshadow earlier in the movie) and flies to the battle, blows up a few bad guys, and faces Kylo face to face in an epic lightsaber fight for the ages lol.

I mean, if TLJ was going to end the way it did, that would've been so much better. I actually just watched it again the other night. I do enjoy the movie, but there's just a couple of things that could've been better.

• @drummerdude25 I would have loved for Luke to inflict another physical wound or injury on Kylo Ren, I guess kinda as punishment for killing his Father and best friend, Han Solo, but I think they figured that was uneccessary since Rey inflicted facial wound on him in The Force Awakens, but if not that, Luke could have humiliated, embarrassed him in front of The First Order, I also would have loved to have seen Luke have a confrontation or altercation with Snoke, I feel Snoke was killed off too soon as well, and not even one clue about his past, even if it was just a little bit.

• I think movies 7 and 8 were pretty damn bad...
    I kinda preferred the first 3 over those even... well I do prefer them using less blue screen like in 7 and 8 ...1,2, and 3 used a lot of that crap.. but I liked the movies better... I felt more emotion and tension and of course its' about Darth Vader lol

I think rogue one was one of the best actually... that Vader scene was absolutely legendary

• There was an obvious political push in these movies as well. Best examples are Rey being a textbook Mary Sue, and how they basically deified Leia and turned her into a space version of Mary Poppins.

• Ahahaha! I actually liked that part with Leia.

• @FýrdracaDócincel Cononically, you are correct. But the issue of Rey's Mary Sue qualities, even Mark Hamill said "she didn't even attend Dagobah training camp!" Hopefully they correct this a little with Rey's apparent proneness to the dark side.

• I agree on account of Rey 100%. But I was addressing your statement abot Leia.

• SJWS killed the star wars story. Too much forced diversity, just for the sake of having diversity. The original trilogy is the only Star Wars movies worth watching. That to me, felt like Star Wars. Every time they make another triology, it gets worse rather than better. They just need to leave it alone.

• I haven't seen it but it looks like a franchise killer.

Which leads me to the question: is there another star wars innthe works yet?

• Yeah, the Solo movie coming out next Friday.

• Oh yeah. But this is more of a character specific movie no? Like the story of Han solo and chubacca right? A character they already know is popular.

This could potentially save it but they need to cut off the branch they created with the last Jedi

• Exactly. I think Star Wars ultimately is doomed from here on.

• I don't like last jedi either, they were better off with star war cartoons.

• the Finn angle is agreeable, I think he's a joke, but I also think after TFA that their options with him were limited. He's not like the EU's Kyle Katan, a force wielding ex-Imperial with a vendetta, he's just a disillusioned man who had a perfect storm of events take him away from where he didn't want to be. I also quickly want to point out about his relationship angle, that before TFA even released, John Boyega (Finn) said publicly along with Daisy Ridley (Rey) and also alone a few times that he and Rey would never get together in the films. I am a fan of the old EU, and most definitely agree that Kathy Kenedy and her bunch are ruining Star Wars, but maybe for different reasons. I have a different perspective, for probably many reasons, but I think one of their biggest issues is that they have seemingly written the films with a "social justice first, quality story second" mentality. Do I have a problem with a black man or a latino or a woman being the main heroes? Of course not, but I also can't help but overlook that I believe they chose the wrong people for their roles. John Boyega is an alright actor but only when placed in the right spots. Daisy Ridley is an atrocious actor and her character is clearly a Mary Sue, and her only defense of that publicly is that it has to be sexist because the term is "Mary Sue". (the male equivalent is Gary Stu and exists, she implied it was only ever directed at females.) If you watch videos of Daisy, and of Rey, the only difference between the woman irl and the character is looks, they have the same exact paper thin personalities.(I'm so in love with her tho lol) They killed off Han and Luke (only white male main heroes) in the worst possible ways at the soonest possible times, and Kathy is literally in pics wearing a "the force is female" shirt. Thus meaning, the only two white guys left that are important are bad guys. One is redeemable but the only way many ever saw that happening was with Luke or Rey. That ship sailed. Twice. Rey getting with Kylo was the most feasible thing that could happen, but if they do it in IX, the energy between them in many people's opinion is too far gone. VIII would have been perfect. Her and Poe would look nice, but the films themselves are just atrocious. I'll also point out that the only two white guys left are both awful actors in the films, Adam is a pretty comedian they brought in to scream and cry. The other is just a clown. Super-Leia also exists, for whatever reason.

• Oh good, I didn't even have to go watch it. I knew somehow it would suck, anyway. Rogue One was a nice breath of fresh air and then it went back to being crap. Ren is the worst sith lord EVER. So poorly written.

• The joke is on you. Disney doesn't care about your stupid childhood memories of Star Wars. They're only interested in warping the minds of new children into wanting to buy their porg toys.

And next year, it'll be something different, because nobody cares about a bunch of butthurt adults who are obsessed with a little kids' movie. You guys are all about one step above the grown ass men who obsess over My Little Pony.

• The new Star Wars series is uncomfortably painful - I was a fan of Episodes 1 - 6, but Episode 7 felt like exactly Episode 4.

Years of waiting and I get a carbon copy of Episode 4?

Snoke’s death was also irritating. They kept building him up only for it to be cannon fodder (although, there are rumors they may have kept him alive). With Ray, they’re also developing her into something big, but will it pay off?

I don’t care anymore at this point... Although, I am a fan of Kylo Ren’s character and Rogue One.

• It's still a lot better than Episode I & II. And I don't really care about the "forced" racial diversity because there was only 1 black guy in the whole galaxy for the Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, the Phantom Menace, Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith.

• All I have to say is, if you're gonna have racial diversity, the absolute LEAST you could do is put it to some manner of good use. -_-

And yes, I did read your paragraph about "covert racism." But honestly, you're just creating a problem where one doesn't exist. It's obvious their intention is to have Rey and Kylo become an item at some point so it makes sense that they would try to find Finn someone else.

• "It's obvious their intention is to have Rey and Kylo become an item at some point so it makes sense that they would try to find Finn someone else."
      - That's not obvious at all. It's just as bleak and uncertain as the possibility of Finn and Rey being together.

• Dude, that's what they wanted us to think. Rey is supposed to be with Finn.

• How do you know?

• Did you not notice everyone on the dark side is a white man?

• Lol. Did you also not notice that some of the people on the Star Destroyers were non-white?

• No, it's a lot of black men in relationships with white women. And even Latinas. You don't sound like you want to see black with black for justice sake, it sounds like you're using that as a cover for how you actually don't like seeing black men with white women and how that bothers you.

• Black men are about 6% of the U. S. population and roughly 27% (If I remember correctly) of black men marry outside of their race. That means most black men marry black women.

Why on earth would you be against this? Are you a black man who prefers women outside of your race? There's nothing wrong with that, but as I stated and can provide proof if you need it, dating outside your race is the exception, not the rule. So wouldn't it make sense to have more black couples in movies? Why should black women always be a footnote? It doesn't make sense to me if you truly want more inclusion in these movies.

• Completely agree. The Last Jedi was an awful film. Rian Johnson doesn't understand anything about story telling and as such, he just tried desperately to leave his mark on the film. J. J. Abrams had set up so many story lines that would have actually been interesting to explore but nope, Johnson is quite happy shrugging all that off for social justice BS and on-the-nose commentary on war. Not to mention how he managed to destroy almost every single character that appeared in the film: Luke, Rey, Kylo Ren, the ginger dude, Snoke, Leia, Finn, Poe... everyone!

• More from Guys
    9