Let's Talk Books. What Are Your Favorites To Read?

Surely some of you like to read, right? Share some of your favorites to read and why. Simple as that! Maybe share why you even started reading in the first place? I used to hate reading, but when my parents were struggling with money I wanted to learn how to manage finances; so I bought two financial books (The Behavior Gap and The Millionaire Next Door) to learn a thing or two. Now my own little library has around 80 books, and I have two more on the way!

I like to stick with educational type books rather than something purely fictional. But I do own several novels that I do intend to read eventually. But let me show a few books that changed my life! Some are by the same authors as well. Did your life change in a sense after reading something nice?

1. Robert Greene, The 48 Laws of Power

This book talks about various forms of power, and how they were utilized during ancient or modern times. The laws in the book are not exactly to be acted out, in fact if you did act out all of these laws you would probably be a sociopath. All of us do at least one of these laws, however. For example, one law is "Never outshine the master"; this gives a transgression of the law with an example of a true event in history (basically, not abiding by this law). Then it offers an observance of the law, which shows a person using the law to gain power. Very interesting and I highly recommend it!

2. Robert Greene, Mastery

What another great book by Greene. This one is the first one I read by him, and it changed how I think forever. You see how self criticism works, and how to take responsibility for yourself to improve yourself. You see how a master of a subject thinks, and how to adapt that attitude. It's extremely interesting and this is another one you should read. The only thing people disagree with in this book is that Greene says we need to spend 10,000 hours on a subject in order to master it. Another aspect is the steps to mastery in a nicely detailed order.

3. Crucial Conversations, By Various Authors

Let's Talk Books. What Are Your Favorites To Read?This book instructs on how to speak during rough situations. You'll learn some really good things with this one, basically on just crucial conversations, as the title is named. Easy to read! If you are interested in this subject, I also recommend Brian Tracy's Speak To Win.

4. Tom Hopkins, How To Master the Art of Selling

Very interesting on how the selling process works. It's not a cheesy book at all, It's humorous and very detailed. The tactics work very well and are cool to learn. You actually don't need to be in sales at all to read this book, as it is more on persuasion than anything.

5. Robert Greene, The Art of Seduction

Did someone say persuasion? TAoS is just that: seduction. If you have never read this, you are in for a roller coaster. It's so much fun to read as it goes through the phases of a seduction (you are not supposed to go in order with the tactics, but you sort of are supposed to with the phases). It's persuasion, no more no less and how to appeal to people. I recommend this to everyone as you better understand seduction and how broad it is, and how to avoid manipulation. You get to figure out which seductive type you are as well, and how to utilize yourself to attract people. Greene's books are so much fun to read!

I'll leave it at that. There are some books that can teach you a ton of useful stuff, and these can do just that. Share what you like as well! And I hope you check out what I showed above; they are all good reads, especially Greene's. Read the 48 laws of power for a fun time!

911
SaintDamage is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• i'd be interested in checking out your #4, since pitching a novel is selling and i'm terrible at sales.

i've read thousands, probably millions, of books over my lifetime thus far, but i'll share some of my favourites with you:

highbrow/intellectual humour:

-more money than brains: why school sucks, college is crap, and idiots think they're right (laura penny)

-your call is important to us: the truth about bullshit (also laura penny)

gothic:

jane eyre (charlotte bronte)
    frankenstein (mary shelley)

i also enjoy poetry, especially anything by christina rossetti.

@SmartButBroke mentioned jane austen~ i'm reading northanger abbey right now, and i love it so far... i have a full box set of her novels and, since i am a literature major, i'll probably end up reading all of them for some class or other. :)

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I have heard of Laura Penny, I should really get something of hers. Sounds like interesting stuff! I wanna get into poetry but I really don't know where to start.

• @SaintDamage if you're new to poetry, i recommend taking a look at "how to read (& write) about poetry' by susan holbrook.

it includes different types of poems and what's good about all of them; since everyone's taste is different, it'll help you figure out what kinds of poems you prefer.

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 8

• Well, I'm almost twice your age, so it's harder to talk specific books because I have read literally millions of books and have had different love-affair phases with different genres at various points in my life. But I'll answer the part of your question about how I got into reading and talk about a life-changing experience.

I just remember being a little kid and my parents had a lot of books in the house, and I couldn't wait to learn how to read and write. Pretty much as soon as I got to elementary school and learned how to read, I started reading just about everything in the school library. We also used to get these booklets at school called "Weekly Reader" or something, which had a lot of books in it that you could order, and I'd take them home and mark what books I wanted and my parents would actually order them for me, lol. Sometimes I'd order so many books that I had trouble carrying them. I think one of the reasons I read so much is I didn't really have friends and girls at school did not like me, plus I always finished classwork before everyone else, so I'd spend breaks and downtime at school reading and then would go home and read more instead of playing with other kids. I wrote "books," as well.

My life-changing experience was this:

Even though I liked to read, I only liked certain genres in my teens... and I took advanced English, which required reading a lot of literature, but I did not like literature at all. Then I went to college, and, you know, they make you take placement tests at a lot of schools. I tested completely out of freshman English, but that did not excuse me from needing a writing requirement class... it just meant I had to take a higher-level class, which sucked because, as mentioned, I did not like literature, lol. The list of classes sucked, I did not want to take any of them... so I just picked Victorian Literature.

The first book we read in that class was Jane Austen's "Pride & Prejudice," and that was it for me. I loved that book, and I ended up LOVING that class, pretty much every book we read in it, to the point of wanting to switch to a double major in psychology and English. Unfortunately, I was about to be a junior, which meant it was too late to take enough English classes for a major... so I added it as a minor and took all these literature classes my last two years and loved them.

I feel like Jane Austen's book/that class "sophisticated" my taste in reading and made me branch out into history, politics, etc.

• Very interesting, I like your story. It's neat how a certain book can spark our curiosity and have us branch out, which then has us learn a lot of new stuff. You are lucky you wanted to read a lot when you were little! I hated the idea of any kind of book until around a year ago, I wish I resorted to that during my down time during my early teens. Now days we have Amazon to order books. have you ever ordered a ton of books off of there too?

How many do you think you own currently? Have you ever got into phases where you just didn't want to read? Like no matter what, you just couldn't digest the information?

• You should read Michel Foucault, I think you'd like him. Especially 'Discipline and Punish' and 'the History of Sexuality'

My favourites are:

Dante's Inferno, specifially the Hollander version if we're talking physical books, which contains extensive interesting linear notes.

cdn8.openculture.com/.../inferno_321.jpg

'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' by Harlan Ellison

s158562511.onlinehome.us/.../I_Have_No_Mouth.jpg

and uh... since the entirety of your list is non-fiction, I might as well include my favourite textbook, which I haven't even really started yet but whatever, it has a beautiful prologue:

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/.../...a92TMyL.jpg

I think much of the finest literature is hidden away in textbooks.

• Your books look very unique with the art! The most advanced artwork I have is a picture of a old man on the front cover, lol.

• Looool. Yeah but yours have that very specific kind of self help book graphic design going on. In 40 years people will be collecting those books just for their designs, it'll be like Library Music.

• The 2nd book you mentioned sounds a lot like The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. It has a whole chapter on 10,000 hours. My favorite books are Old Man & the Sea, Great Expectations, and All Quiet On the Western Front. I love the classics.

• I love to read Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Maze Runner and many more books with adventure or mystery.

• None of it caught my interest.

I am currently reading Agatha Christie's autobiography.

• I like historical fiction the most and fantasy.

• i like psychological books

What Guys Said 10

• Relentless by Tim S Grover.
    I always work harder after reading that book. Both read it and listened to it on audiobook. Great book.

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
    I've only ever listened to this book, but I enjoyed it. Very eye opening. Recommend it to everyone regardless of who you are and where you are in your life.

Pain Free by Peter Egoscue
    If you're dealing with physical pains or want to help someone who is that's a good book to read.

Testoshock by Christopher Walker
    Just about all things testosterone. Very cool book for understanding how testosterone is made, functions and develops over your lifetime. Men in their 80's could easily have high testosterone with zero issues with their sexdrive if they apply the information in that book alone. Glad I read it while I'm still young XD

I mostly read for learning, rather than entertainment. I have World War Z, but it's just collecting dust. Dinotopia was enjoyable. Read a few Sherlock Holmes short stories. The Hounds of Baskerville was good. I like interactive books. Finished a create your own story Star Wars book that was fun as well.

• Here are some of my favorites

The Iliad & The Odyssey by Homer

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Lives by Plutarch

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

Fudochi Shin Myoroku: The Mysterious Record of Immovable Wisdom by Takuan Soho

Heiho Yukan: The Paragon of Military Strategy by Hojo Ujinaga

After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre

The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

• Paradise Lost. The modern day English version by Joseph Lanzara. Still, why would they make Satan the good guy and God the villain?

• I've many novels, I like Crime and Punishment the most to this day.
    Among more serious literature, I have learned a lot from The Art of War.

• I just read Alaska by James Michener. That was a brilliant read

• Thought the title said, "Let's talk boobs" :(

• bible book of enoch

• I like metal gear solid because I m a fan of it