Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Hello everyone. I haven't written a Mytake in ages but i recently saw a youtuber do a list like this and so i thought i would share with you all my favorite video games for each year i have been alive.

My actual birthday is the end of July so I'm jumping the gun a little here, but i will start from 1983 and go to 2017. Therefore there are 34 titles in all.

This actually was tough to do because there were a lot of great games that have come out and sticking with one a year is a challenge. There were also a couple of years i struggled to think of anything i really liked as well (like 2016). However I believe I have come up with a great list to share with you all ranging across multiple genres and systems including the PC and arcades. So lets jump into it!

Note: im choosing them by the year they first came out in the U.S. (parenthesis = the versions i played most) Also since GAG only allows 20 pics per take i will split this up.

1983: Mario Bros (Arcade, Apple II, NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Not Super Mario Bros, just regular old Mario bros. I played it mostly on the Apple II back in the day, but what I played I enjoyed a whole lot. a classic arcade game.

1984: Paperboy (Arcade, NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Yet another fun arcade classic. I remember having lot of fun smashing windows and basically being a very bad paper boy lol. I loved hitting the robber and would show my dad whenever I did it cause it was funny lol.

1985: Super Mario Bros (NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Needs no real introduction, its the game that saved video games as we know them today. Still fun to play even today.

1986: The Legend of Zelda (NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The original. Spent many hours perfecting this one. Still a great classic I still get out and play every now and then.

1987: Mega Man (NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The original Mega Man was a fantastic game and started my obsession with the franchise. Very difficult but still fun for me.

1988: SimCity (PC, SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

A great simulation game that fueled my imagination. I just loved building the biggest cities.

1989: Mega Man 2 (NES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

My favorite Mega Man of them all. My order: Metal man > Flash Man > Wood Man > Bubble Man > Air Man > Crash Man > Quick Man > Heat Man

1990: King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder (PC)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The game that sparked my love of the Adventure game genre. Also fuck Cedric, that stupid owl lol.

1991: Final Fantasy II (4 officially) (SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The game that introduced me to RPGs. I played this thing soooo much back in the day. Couldn't get enough of it.

1992: Super Mario Kart (SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Soo much fun back in the day, I remember battle mode with my brother and friends. I also loved trying to best my time in time trials.

1993: Secret of Mana (SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

A fun game that mixes Zelda like gameplay with RPG elements. I loved the atmosphere and music the most though.

1994: Super Metroid (SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

One of my all time favorite video games, Super Metroid just kicked soo much ass. I still go back to this one often.

1995: Chrono Trigger (SNES)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The very best of the Square RPG's for me. Just an all around masterpiece.

1996: Civilization II (PC)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

A game I spent soooo many endless hours one and also sparked my interest in History. One of my all time favorites for sure.

1997: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

I've always loved the Castlevania series and this one took the Super Metroid formula and really made it in its own style. Really fun game here.

1998: Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

This one is hands down my all time favorite game, I have spent sooo many hours of my life on it. The music, characters, story, the classes you can change into. Just a fantastic game that perfected the Strategy RPG for me.

1999: Heroes of Might and Magic III (PC)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

A game I also spent so many days of my life on. It takes all sorts of mythical creatures from legends and folklore and puts them all into armies for you to order and fight others. Very addictive game. can be very difficult too.

2000: The Sims (PC)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

The first sims was very fun and I made a house with all my friends in at at the time. Bought all the expansions too. Fun times!

2001: Super Smash Bros Melee (Gamecube)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

Take all the Nintendo mascots and put them in a fighting game? hell yes! Melee was one of the best of them.

2002: Final Fantasy XI (PS2, PC)Toad-1's Favorite Video Game for Each Year Since I Have Been Born (Part 1: 1983-2002)

My very first entry into the MMORPG and what a time it was. Had a lot of fun playing this one with my friends.

This is the end of part 1. Please check out part 2 for 2003-2017!

1222

Most Helpful Guy

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

• Finally! Was able to finally get to this after jumping through hoops lol. This is great stuff. Many of these games I love. A few I've never played. I'm a little sad Contra didn't make the list. But the original SimCity on SNES... was my ish! I'm a little embarrassed to say how much time I spent playing that game haha

• you picked the witcher 3 over fallout 4? that's it, we can't be friends.

(just kidding, i like both)

• Well, you put quite a bit of effort into this mytake! That being said, King's quest is kinda the only decent game game in the lot. But i guess being imprisoned in North Korea kinda restricts access to good games.

• Ah, Super Mario... the nostalgia.
    Sims 1! I dunno how, but Mortimer always died whenever I played. Didn't matter what I did, he'd just die within the first 30 minutes of the game. xD (I hope I'm not mixing things up with Sims 2, but I don't think so.)
    Heroes III! Love that game, got'em all (apart from the first, sadly), spent so many hours, days, weeks of my life in these games. Which were your favourites fractions? Mine were Dungeon, Rampart & Fortress. :')

• I always dug the stronghold because the music is so friggin epic lol

• Ah, yeah, Stronghold was kinda fun, too. I couldn't really work with them, though. xD Wolf Raiders too fragile, they usually just died before they could do anything useful. xD

• Ah, it's so cool to see how the graphics developed over the years :) Part 2 is gonna rock

• Omg Sims 😱. My favorite game.

Do you have sims 4?

• No. I never really got into the other sims games tbh. Not sure why 🤔

• Yes I hear sims 3 is the best one. Maybe once I get a new computer I'll take a dive into it. 😉

• You should :)

• I like the take :3

I liked pinball, tetris, sims, runescape, candy crush was fun hahaha :3

• I liked Super Mario Brothers, Paperboy, Castlevania and The Legend of Zelda. I also likes Donkey Kong and others I can't think of.

• Cool, I like those games too, especially Super Mario, Final Fantasy and Heroes of might and magic.

• Haha are you giving us some birthday present ideas for you toto 😋I'm kidding haha

I haven't played a good portion of those 😐

• We should play together soon 😝

• This was cool to read good job. :-)

What Guys Said 21

• I read this like way waaaay before just didn't comment cause kept going back and getting this overwhelming nostalgia hahah... past memories
    But I couldn't take it anymore and had to play super metroid...

Replaying it after so many years.. really, the game is so well designed though. The areas that requires certain power ups and what not... love

• hey toadsters... do the pink doors in the beginning area need the missiles to open up?

• Yes sir. 5 regular missiles or one super missile which you'll get later

• nice...
      cause I pumped 4 on it and it didn't open haha... so 5 it is.. got it
      thanks bud

• SimCity - I've played a newer version, not sure which one. I didn't think much of the game. It got very repetitious after a while

King's Quest were my earliest graphics games, although I played text games before that. I'm not sure if I played KQ5 or not. I also played some of the Quest for Glory games which were some of the first RPGs.

Civilization. I've played 3 & 4. I still play 4 regularly (just a couple of days ago).

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I've played this since it came out 18 years ago. In all that time I've probably never gone more than a month or two without playing. My play time in that game is easily in the tens of thousands of hours.

I never played any of the others listed. Never heard of a couple of them.

• Dude, this is a legendary list haha. I feel like you are missing a lot of PC-only games here though, should probably have a separate list for PC games like all the classic shooters, RTS and CRPGs, and I wish Morrowind could be tied with FFXI for the 2002 spot.

• e. g. planescape torment, baldur's gate, arcanum, diablo 2, starcraft / brood war, warcraft 2, quake, doom, unreal tournament, half-life, etc.

• Although it would be very difficult to pick a best game for each year from 97-2000 haha.

• 1983 through 2017 is actually 35 different years:

1 1983
    2 1984
    3 1985
    4 1986
    5 1987
    6 1988
    7 1989
    8 1990
    9 1991
    10 1992
    11 1993
    12 1994
    13 1995
    14 1996
    15 1997
    16 1998
    17 1999
    18 2000
    19 2001
    20 2002
    21 2003
    22 2004
    23 2005
    24 2006
    25 2007
    26 2008
    27 2009
    28 2010
    29 2011
    30 2012
    31 2013
    32 2014
    33 2015
    34 2016
    35 2017

However, my favorite video game from any platform is NES's 1986 Kid Icarus.

• Awesome list, i love the megaman series. I would have also threw in a metal gear , Final Fantasy 7, and maybe something frm the Sly Cooper series.

• I am currently playing the iOS version of Final Fantasy IV. I remember being fascinated by the guides in Nintendo Power, even though I never owned a SNES.

• So many of these bring back good memories of playing games with my big brother:
    - Super Mario Bros
    - Paperboy
    - Sim City 1
    - King's Quest V
    - Super Mario Kart
    - Secret of Mana
    - Chrono Trigger

Great list. I will also say that -- thinking back on most of the games with a story that I can remember -- "Chrono Trigger" was the one of the very few with a completely satisfying ending. Most others seem to just end too abruptly, while "Chrono Trigger" gave enough time to say goodbye to each character and the world of the story.

• I love your list my u have some of my favourite games to including #1 Castlevania- i like the whole series, metroid and super mario bros (nes version). Looking forward to next list :D

• Original Zelda is dope, has anyone here 3heart-run-ed any zelda games? I had so much fun doing that :D

• Nice selection of games, my favorites out of those games are Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Heroes Of Might & Magic and Zelda. Great Take.

• I like all of them except for Final Fantasy XI. MMORPGs are terrible.

• Fuck you're taking me for a trip down memory Lane with some if those ones

• It's amazing the progression in video games from the 1980s to now

• Civilization 2 over Mario 64...

• Yes sir. I love Mario 64 but spent wayyy more time with civ II

• No Metal Gear Solid?

• Great taste man

• Super Mario Brothers was cool back then

• Mario <3

• Metroid and castlevania are all time favorites.

• More from Guys
    1