15 of My Favorite Video Games Ever

1. Pokémon

Pokémon was the first game I ever played, when I was like 4 years old. I remember looking through a catalogue full of toys with my brother when we were little, just before Christmas or something. That's when we stumbled upon the first Pokémon games. He chose Blue, and I chose Red because red was my favorite color as a kid.

Eventually my brother also got Yellow, which allows Pikachu to follow you around. Unfortunately for me, he never let me play it. Brothers suck.

Ever since then, Pokémon has been my favorite game. Maybe I'm slightly biased since it's the first game I ever played. But throughout the years, I've really enjoyed the games they've released. I love the mechanics, I love the storyline and I love the designs of both old and new games. It's a formula that works.

2. Crash Bandicoot

Continuing down Memory Lane, we have Crash Bandicoot. Another one of my Childhood favorites.

My brother and I played through most of the older games together. My favorite game of the franchise is Twinsanity. I love the mechanics and length of it. The storyline is maybe a bit meh, but Crash Bandicoot in general isn't exactly famous for being plot-heavy. I've had many laughs with this franchise though, especially when my mom wanted to give it a go. She wasn't the best at it, to say the least.

3. Animal Crossing

So far I've only played two Animal Crossing games, Wild World and New Leaf. But I love both of them a lot, so they deserve spot number 3. I love that there are so many different things you can do in this game, and how calming and therapeutic it is. New Leaf is especially beautiful, with the scenery and the music. Even when you've collected all the fossils and items you can collect, explored all the areas, built your village the way you want it, there's still so much left to do. You can constantly change what your village looks like, and since the villagers will be moving in and out, new faces replacing old, you can end up playing it for years without becoming tired of it.

4. Undertale

Man, I love me some pixel games. And Undertale fits all the criteria for a great game in my opinion. It has the graphics, which are incredible "despite" being just pixels and nothing too fancy. The scenery is great. The humor and randomness of it is great. The characters are well-developed and great. The mechanics are really interesting and unique. The story is really intriguing and versatile. I love that there are multiple ways you can play it. I love the music, I even have Snowdin's theme as my own ringtone. I feel like there's nothing else I can say about this game honestly. S'great. I love it.

5. Ori and the Blind Forest

Y'ALL. This game had me gasping. For real. It has some of the most beautiful graphics I've ever seen. The story is pretty neat too, it can really pull at your heartstrings. And the music is A+. If I ever become an art director, THIS is the goddamn kind of game I'd love to be a part of. The mechanics are also really smooth, which just adds to the awesomeness factor. This is the kind of game that leaves you feeling a little empty after you've played it.
Just listen to the music.

6. To the Moon

Speaking of feeling empty inside after playing a game. If you want to feel dead inside, play To the moon.

Yet another pixel game. Like I said, I love pixel games. This game has the type of story that'll leave you a sobbing mess when you're done. You think you're playing the game, but in fact, this game is playing you. And your heart. And once it's done, your heart is nothing but mush. The music is absolutely beautiful. There's not much to say about the actual mechanics since this is definitely more of a story-based game, but that's a good thing in its own way.

7. The Last Of Us

Apocalypse-type games have been in for a few years now, and The last of us is no exception. It's a pretty story-heavy game but, unlike To the moon for example, its mechanics are pretty well-developed and versatile. Lots of shooting and sneaking around. I'm not typically a massive fan of shooting games since I feel like the shooting aspect can easily end up overshadowing the plot (which is the most important aspect of a game to me). But The last of us has a pretty neat balance, and I like that. I also love the characters, and their development throughout the game. The graphics are also beautiful.

8. Life is Strange

It's a multiple choice game, i.e. the choices you make affect certain aspects and outcomes of the game. This is something I really like, because you get to shape the game and it becomes a more unique experience. Plus you can also play through it a few times in order to explore the different options and endings that it gives you.

I think the characters are pretty well developed, but sometimes bordering on stereotype-y. The graphics and animations are somewhat simple, maybe a bit janky at times, but the color palettes and lighting definitely make up for it. The plot starts out fun and lighthearted, but ends up taking morbid turn after turn. I think it's what makes this game kind of a dark horse. I really liked it.

9. Until Dawn

I bet some of y'all might be cackling right now, but hear me out. Yes, Until Dawn is like a massive stereotypical horror game with lots of tropes and bullshit... but I love it. It's like a guilty pleasure. It's like the B-movie you hate but also love because it's so bad you've gotta love it. And many people agree actually, since it got some pretty good reviews too. Even if it's slightly predictable and stereotypical, it works. The characters are actually surprisingly distinguishable, the mechanics are pretty smooth for the most part (the camera angles are real annoying though) and it's able to create that horror game ambiance without being jam-packed with jump scares.

10. Corpse Party: Blood Covered

Corpse party, Blood covered is a remake of an older version of the game. It's a Japanese pixel horror story game with lots of gore, mystery and horrible plot twists. I love it because of the unique plot, and obviously because it's a pixel game. The characters are stereotypical Japanese high school students, but I think it works and some of them are actually pretty well-developed. This is more of a gore-y type of horror game so if that isn't your thing and you become easily grossed out, don't play it.

11. Aviary Attorney

What if Sherlock and Watson were little birdies? That's Aviary Attorney. It's hilariously cute, the art is fantastic in its own quirky way and the storyline of the different chapters are mysterious and interesting. It's a simple game that's kind of more like an interactive book, but it's fun. It's cute. I had to add it to the list.

12. The Walking Dead

I actually prefer the game to the TV-series. I feel like the characters have more depth, and the story is actually interesting (even if it's a bit repetitive like the TV-series, and shares parts of the plot). I might be wrong, but I think The walking dead is the game that paved the way for multiple choice games. I love the art style too, kind of cartoony but realistic at the same time. Unlike the TV-series, this game actually has some pretty lovable characters that don't make you feel like scratching your eyes out. It also has the perfect amount of creepy aspects without actually being a horror game.

13. Zelda: Ocarina of time (3DS)

I'm actually not a massive fan of the Zelda franchise, so far I've only played Phantom hourglass and Ocarina of time. I struggled through Phantom hourglass years ago, which left me scarred after all the damn puzzles. But I decided to give Ocarina of time a shot when it was released for the 3DS, and I'm glad I did! It's not nearly as puzzle-crazy as Phantom hourglass, and I'm thankful for that. I really like the story and the world, the hidden gems and the graphics. I know the original Ocarina of time is considered one of the best Zelda games, along with Majora's mask and A Link to the past, so I'm glad I gave it a shot.

14. The Wolf Among Us

Another Telltale game that I love, based on the comic book series Fables. The story is great, the characters are great (and obviously a bit stereotypical at times but that's ok and expected) and I also love the general atmosphere of the game. The walking dead had a more muted color palette, but The wolf among us definitely has a stronger, more neon-looking color palette. It's nice and fits in with the scenery perfectly. It shares the same mechanics as The walking dead so there's not much else to add to what's already been said.

15. Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

Alright, I'm going to start wrapping it up now even though I could go on for ages. I love all of the Sherlock games but I feel like The devil's daughter has been the best one so far. With every game, the graphics get just a little better and the stories a bit more intriguing. I think The devil's daughter hit the nail on the head as far as a Sherlock game goes, and they've really stepped up with the graphics and mechanics! Hence worth a mention from me.

That's about it! Thank you for reading, if you've bothered to read this far. I'd give ya a cookie if I had one.

1331
lumos is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• If you loved Aviary Attorney, maybe give the Ace Attorney series a try? You might love it like crazy.

This funny video explains how the game play goes basically. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSyYps8xJfs

• Hahaha I know, I've seen a few livestreams of people playing it :D maybe I'll pick it up at some point.

• You could download the emulator Desmume and then download the roms for majority of the games to the series.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 30

• i haven't played any sherlock games. didn't really realize the existed i think i'll have to check them out since i love sherlock holmes

did you play heavy rain? if you like last of us and life is strange (playing life is strange right now... very cool game) i think you'll like heavy rain

• I haven't played Heavy rain no, but I've watched a playthrough of it :)

• It's a good list, although, as someone who's played over three hundred games in his lifetime, I'm surprised that I only played 4 of the games you listed.

I've long meant to play Ori and Undertale, but I've got a lot to do and never found the time.

I have played Pokemon RBY many, many times. I think I own 4 blues, 3 reds, and 2 yellows. That's a story unto itself. I couldn't tell it all in one post.

The Legend of Zelda is great, I wouldn't judge it by Phantom Hourglass or even Ocarina of Time, its most famous installment. If you have a 3DS, you can get some very good 2D Zelda titles from the eshop. Those are pretty easy to get into.

The Last of Us was great, but too violent for me. Also, the ending was... a strange choice. I felt like a bad person the whole time I was going through the final parts of the game.

Animal Crossing, again, is great. In New Leaf, I named my town "Broheim" and my town flag was a metal rock hand. It's a great game if you only have a little time each day to play, but you can also play it all day, as there are plenty of things to do.

• I really want to play Undertale.

I'm assuming you've played Uncharted 4 if you love The Last Of Us? The best game of 2016 and of the entire new generation by a LONG shot is U4. Absolutely mind-blowing. I adored TLoU myself. And as you like the story-driven games like The Walking Dead and Until Dawn, you've played Heavy Rain, right? What a great experience that was... and I can't WAIT for Detroit from Quantic Dream. As for Until Dawn, I really loved it and I thought I wouldn't because I didn't like the whole "teen horror" vibe. But it was extremely well done.

If you like old-school traditional RPGs, you might want to try I Am Setsuna. I'm playing it now and loving it; very '90s from the golden age of PS1 RPGs. :)

• I haven't played Uncharted 4 but I'm watching Jesse Cox play through it on youtube :) it's pretty nice, he's making sure that he's getting all the treasures so it's a thorough playthrough. As for Heavy rain, it's also a game I didn't pick up myself, so I ended up watching Cryaotic's playthrough of it. But I have played Beyond: Two souls, also directed by David Cage. :) Never heard of I am Setsuna though, I'll have to take a look!

• I guess I don't get the "watching" someone else play a game thing... it would drive me nuts that I'm not actually playing it. :P Like with Uncharted 4, it's such an incredible experience...

Beyond was good, too, but nowhere near as masterful as Heavy Rain, in my opinion. You should definitely play it. As for I Am Setsuna, it's a digital-only title on the PlayStation Store and remember, it's really only for those who loved the old-school turn-based RPGs of yesteryear. They call it the spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger, to give you an idea of what to expect. :)

• For me it's a pretty relaxing thing, since (like you can probably tell from the games I chose) I love plot-heavy stories so it's kinda like watching a movie. But I'm very picky with who I watch, it can't just be whoever. I want a certain respect for the game, so no talking during cutscenes and stuff like that. Jesse and Cry are great in that aspect, and I also really like watching Dodger (Presshearttocontinue) play because of her voice acting :)

• I know none of these

But in my youth was addicted to Galaga

The Addams Family pinball machine was a classic as well

Also Street fighter- still have a crush on Cyung Lee :p

• But the most important of all is... did you catch them all?

Also nice list but does no one remember Tomba 2? that game was so much fun it had everything evil pigs, magic, eating the evil pigs, awesome weapons, parkour, epic story and questing and cool exploration and secrets and music. Loved that game so much I kept it all the way from when it was originally released for PS1 in the 90s lol. I still play it, remember this was back when they actually made fun and compelling games for actual entertainment not money.
    https://youtu.be/d78-TfEGhgg

Also I like Crash Bandicoot as well I have all those games for PS1 still to :D

I also have the original and I mean the very first Pokemon game, I'm talking black white pixels here the first gameboy from the 80s :D
    gamester81.com/.../Nintendo_Gameboy.jpg

Good list by the way ^^

Ok I'm done being overly nostalgic about the 90s and all it's crazy and weird fun.

https://youtu.be/XGUWQHReIzMhttps://youtu.be/W7Hoz2ZHYZMhttps://youtu.be/-TGj227OVKY

Ok... I swear nostalgia over now... for now.

• I've completed the pokédex in a couple of games yes :D though I can't remember which ones at the moment haha.

• Awesome so have I... but they keep creating more, it's never ending lol just when you catch them all... more appear.

https://youtu.be/vfthzU3V4zo

• I know all of these, have played a few of these, and I really want to play the sherlock holmes game. I've played the other two too but I do think it isn't worth the 60 bucks pricetag. And if you love crash bandicoot, I bet you really love that uncharted 4 Easter egg

• I prefered Digimon way more than pokemon but good list, you brought up the classic Crash Bandicoot. Made the late 90's/early2000's kids happy. Ah the childhood memories

• I loved Until Dawn! I beat it several times to get the different endings! Did you know that they're coming out with another one for the PS4 VR?

• I didn't know that actually! That's pretty cool, thanks for mentioning it :D

• I would go ballistic if they ever announce an actress to play Clementine in The Walking Dead show.

• Who do you think would fit for the role of Clem? :D

• That's actually a pretty good choice, I can see that, especially with the Season 3 Game coming in soon and playing an older Clementine.

Oh! And while we're on the subject of multiple choice games, if you can, try out Mass Effect if you haven't already. I consider it the lovechild of a TellTale game and The Last of Us. Amazing in-depth story, expansive universe and lore, interesting and diverse and strange alien races, epic storyline, and branching multiple choices and repercussions that have devastating and permanent effects throughout all 3 games. Love the characters and their backstories too, you have to make some really intense and emotional choices throughout the game too.

• Will do :D

• i played only the last of us, until dawn, and life is strange from this list, and these games were awesome

• Zelda and Sherlock Holmes are my favorites here, very good MyTake 👍

• Ori and the blind forest is great. I love the music and the graphics In that game and the story was great of course. My absolute all time favorite game is banjo kazooie. I recommend it to you :p

• Great games, excellent Take... The Walking Dead, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time and The Wolf Among Us are among my favorite video games too :D

• How much time does it take to complete Undertale?

• That entirely depends on what route you take and how much of the world you explore (missing a lot of details/missing some details/missing no details). I played through it in a few days.

• Yeah, for sure. I think it's worth a go, even if you can only play every now and then :) you might just end up pulling an all-nighter when you try it though haha.

• 1-3 I agree pokemon games, crash bandicoot and animal crossing were the shit.

• great selection, didn't know that you're a gamer

but the last one... I loved The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, it was my favourite... Crimes and Punishments was good but too easy.

I was hyped about The Devil's Daughter until I saw some previews of it... and didn't buy it lol. I was disappointed by the route they were taking... might buy it later in a sale

• and I hope they won't fuck up the crash bandicoot remakes... they were some of my favourite games as kid

• Thanks :) I was honestly going to write about Crimes & Punishments at first since I really liked it too, but since The devil's daughter was more recent, I figured I'd write about it instead and just in general mention my love for the entire series. I really recommend playing The devil's daughter though, sure it's slightly different from the rest of the games but I enjoyed it a lot.
      Haven't actually paid any attention to Crash Bandicoot in a few years, I lost interest because of Mind over mutant :/

• I only played the crash bandicoot games on the old Playstation, so the 3 games that will get remastered now.

I had the PS2 (I've had all Playstations except for the Vita) but for some reason I completely forgot about Crash Bandicoot. Don't ask me why lol... might be because I started playing more on PC.

Seeing your list, it reminds me that I need to play Life is Strange. I bought it when the first Episode came out but didn't have the time and forgot about it lol.

by the way., bought last month a 3DS animcal crossing limited edition together with ocarina of time 3D :P
      but hadn't enough time to play much yet

• I was about to click off your question but then Ocarina of Time showed up.

• You're right, To the Moon will turn your heart into mush.

• Last of Us was amazing ! Can't wait for the movie

• Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) for PS2.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 12

• I like all of them except #10 and #11. Never played those

• <3 <3 Crash Bandicoot <3 <3

Once upon a time.. I would spend days playing it. My mother would have to tell me when it was bed time... Even then, I'd wake up at the crack of dawn to play it. XD

• The Last Of Us and To the Moon are my faves! I love Assassin's Creed also but it's not in the list.

• Cool! Now I want to do one to...

• I've only played Ori and the Blind Forest out of these, and the beauty that game has is simply mesmerizing.

• The only one I have played (from the list) is Crash Bandicoot, I really like it.

• The first three games are a bit childish but I like them anyway, lovely mytake :)

• You have good taste in video games.

• You should play Okami

• I've watched a playthrough of it :) not really my type of game honestly, but the playthrough was ok.

• Out of the games you posted, To The Moon is one of the games that made me cry like a little bitch. I've played the majority of the games you listed. Great list.

• These games are awesome. I remember how much I loved the first few as a kid. I want to play the blind forest but I'll have to wait till I can update my pc :(

• Cool list! A couple of my favorites are The Last of Us and Ocarina of Time. Been wanting to play Undertale for a while too.
    by the way, I'm glad someone finally doesn't mention Mario. Lol I'm tired of that guy. :P

• Haha thanks! I really recommend Undertale, it's such a special game :) I actually forgot about Mario haha, but then again I've never been a massive fan to begin with.

• Me neither, but the only Mario games that have my respect are Mario Kart and Mario RPG. They're a lot of fun. :D