9 ways to become a better, stronger reader

1. Involve reading in every aspect of your life

I know how it is- everyday life can be hectic and you have a limited time to yourself. But there are some easy ways to bring reading into your life even when you are busy. Try listening to an audiobook the next time you get stuck in rush-hour traffic, going to the library when your dentist appointment is delayed for a few minutes, or listening to an audiobook as you fall asleep. Here is a screenshot where I bookmarked a bunch of PDFs of books, rather than carrying pounds of paper with me or spending money on books or gas.

2. Get motivated

It may be hard for you to stay concentrated or motivated enough to become a constant reader. It can be easy to treat reading like a chore. Join things like book clubs or groups and Goodreads to be supported. Here is a screenshot of some of my to read books on Goodreads. It is a great website to keep track of the books you have read. Plus, you can acquire friends who will cheer you on!

3. Find your "type"

Just like dating or playing sports, it's not all one-size-fits-all. Some people LOVE fantasy and HATE nonfiction; others are the complete opposite. Find your genre. Try something new, especially if you don't know where to start. You never know if you will fall in love with romance, poetry, sci-fi, YA . . .

4. Find books for CHEAP

I always will recommend getting a library card. Its convenience of being nearby and free is very generous. After all, this is what your tax money is probably going towards- you may as well use it. But don't miss out on great deals, like on Craigslist, Amazon, book stores, and yard sales!

5. Have a bookworm to talk to

Always feel free to ask me for book recommendations or advice, and I will help the best I can! It's always lovely to talk to someone about a book you both enjoyed, or that you both hated.

6. Write your own story!

I've wanted to be a writer since I was 4 years old, and this has definitely encouraged me to read a

lot. In my opinion, the two go hand-in-hand. I joined Allpoetry last summer, and I will never regret it. I can share poems, stories, etc. and see other's work, as well as get great feedback and compliments.

7. Help out your authors

Is there a book signing nearby? Go! Authors always appreciate when you spread the word about their work (wink wink, nudge nudge).

8. Have reading become much of your thoughts

Think about reading every day in a positive way. Perhaps you would love to cozy up in your pajamas with tea on a rainy day and read that paperback. Or maybe you would love to go to a café in the soft morning hours and read in between glances at passerby. You won't regret it either way.9 ways to become a better, stronger reader

9. Find the series/author/book you LOVE, and NEVER stop talking about it

It's easy to become discouraged if there aren't many book nerds in your life when your life just changed by reading. It happens all the time (insert dramatic sigh in remembrance of all the heartbreak)! But you never know how much of an influence you truly have until a few of your friends start reading Harry Potter and slowly fall in love, just like you did.

411
Whatthefluff is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• that was useful

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 10

• I used to love to read. Then came college where tax law books where cumbersome and boring and ruined reading for enjoyment for me. I should try to get back into it.
    What do you like to write?

• Yeah, I do like reading books.. I used to actually read... When I didn't have internet or anything better to do.. And sometimes (occasionally) read.. But, I have thought about reading some good books again.. I do like a good book.. LOL..

• Awesome read.
    I'm not ashamed to admit I read , not as much as used to but I love to read. Its a good way to relax and take your mind off things and delve into another realm.

• being a proud reader, I'd say amazing take OP👍

• I really like that take - Well done

• Awesome and cool mytake.

• "Reading sucks ass" -Eric Cartman

• beats me i hate reading lol

• The more we read the more words we leArn

• Your profile makes no sense. You're a married 14 years old girl with the body of a young man.

What Girls Said 3

• I really like reading so great take!
    Sadly I don't have any friends who read lol

• You know you're bad when you didn't even finish reading the full take.

• No one reads the books that I do lmao.

• What do you like to read?

• I really like stories and certain poems by Rabindranath Tagore.
      Have you read books by Tahmima Anam?

• @Schrodingerscat No. But I hopefully will. I read a lot but I'm very selective for writers.