New England Patriots – Unarguably the Best Franchise in NFL History 🏈

As a die-hard Miami Dolphins fan in an unfair AFC East rivalry for so long a time, I regret to be writing this.

Consider this a history lesson:

Adam Vinatieri's 48-yd FG with :09 sec. remaining lifted the Patriots to a 20-17 victory over the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. It was the franchise's first ever NFL title.

After that, everything changed.

Ofcourse, little did anyone know that his game-winning kick would mark the beginning of a 17+ year football dynasty.

Prior to the 2001-02 season, their first Super Bowl winning year, New England had only 10 playoff appearances since their 1960 inaugural season. They did however, have 2 Super Bowl appearances, losing both of them. But they wouldn't be close to as good as they are now.

Since 2002, including the arrival of Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady, the Patriots have 14 playoff appearances and 7 Super Bowl appearances, winning 5 of them.

That's right. 0-2 in Super Bowls prior to 2002, and 5-2 since. What a remarkable trend in the franchise's destiny.

Their nine Super Bowl appearances are the most in NFL History, the last of which was easily among the best ever.

In Super Bowl LI the Patriots overcame deficits of 21-0 and 28-3 and defeated the Atlanta Falcons 34-28 in overtime to win their fifth NFL title in franchise history. It was the largest comeback and first ever overtime session in the history of the Super Bowl.

The previous Super Bowl deficit overcome prior to that? 10 points.

Tom Brady has always been the key factor during New England's successful run, and none better than in his latest Super Bowl triumph. All he did was lead his team back from a 25-point deficit into overtime and putting a stamp on it on the very first possession, all while throwing for 466 yards on 43 completions in 62 attempts. All Super Bowl records.

It all came against a team with arguably the best offense the NFL has seen.

Brady is the first ever 4-time Super Bowl MVP (most by a player)

Brady is a 5-time Super Bowl Champion (most by a QB)

Hall of Fame head coach Bill Belichick is the first ever 5-time Super Bowl winning coach

It's imperative. New England is the best franchise the NFL has witnessed thus far.

47

Most Helpful Girl

• The Dallas Cowboys is the only football team I am interested in, even if I don't watch their games a lot... lol

Most Helpful Guy

• I betray my age, but a long, long time ago, in the far far away 1970s, the Oakland Raiders were a "Cinderella Team".

The team was made up of misfits, castaways and problem players from other NFL teams, and offensive and defensive linemen who might have wound up in San Quentin or Folsom Strate Prisons if they were not playing ball. The quarterbacks, Jim Plunkett and Ken Stabler, whose every plays seemed to be either a Hail Mary or a Long Long Pass. A head coach, John Madden, who was then red-faced, angry, and appeared to be on the verge of a massive heart attack whenever he was on camera.

Yet somehow, the players fused together and formed a team that was "The Silver And Black Attack". From 1970 to 1977, the team won six division titles and reached the AFC Championship Game six times. In 1976, the team captured its first NFL Championship with a stunning upset victory over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI. After narrowly losing the 1977 AFC Championship Game, the Raiders sadly missed the playoffs in 1978 and 1979. However, with a new wonder coach, Tom Flores, in 1980, the team unexpectedly captured a second Super Bowl championship with an easy victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl XV. They managed to win one more Super Bowl in 1983, one last hurrah, despite uprooting themselves from their traditional East Bay fan base and moving down to Los Angeles.

Decades later, after moves to Los Angeles in 1982 and back in 1995, and now a likely move to Lost Wages Nevada, the Raider Nation is a shadow of its former self. Some found happy endings: Jim Plunkett invested in Nautilus fitness machines, and John Madden has slimmed down, become healthier, and has been a happy sports commentator for the last three decades and counting.

But once upon a time, like some long lost Arthurian Legend, The Oakland Raiders were THE Team for a decade.

• You a Raiders fanatic? Yes the good 'ol days of Silver and Black! Wasn't even alive back then during the Dolphins and Raiders times. We will remember the good 'ol times 😢! The nothing beats the Patriots dynasty to this day I believe.

• And to think they are bound for Vegas now! I must admit I was surprised that the Rams left Los Angeles.

• Oh yes Raiders headed to LV I forget

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

What Guys Said 6

• Happy July 4th my friend. Eventually the Miami Dolphins will catch them it's just a matter of time. I know it's been a long time but I'm a big big Miami Dolphins man and I've gone to all kinds of games live my whole life. The NFL Is the number one sport in the world for me. You should do a Miami Heat thread. And a Christian thread?

• Yes a matter of time. We had our time. But their time is just about getting f****g annoying.

Sorry Muslim! But a lot in common we have.

Lol this website isn't even meant for this kind of sports stuff but oh well change is good.

• Panthers are the best franchise ever

• Patriots suck

• Dolphins are. Period.

• Agreed. My boycott is over

• Best franchise of the last 17 years maybe, certainly not best franchise ever. They only have 5 titles, all coming within that stretch. The Packers have the most (13 titles), and the Bears (9), Giants (8) and Steelers (6) have more than the Pats as well. The Packers also have 29 hall of famers to the Patriots 7. Also, you bring up the Pats lack of success in their first 40 years before the current era. That further shows they've had a good recent run, but don't have the overall success over the life of the franchise that teams like the Packers and Steelers do.