Waffles Reviews Books: Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King

Waffles reviews books, Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King.

I LOVE this Novella, its not really a Novel as its too short and today if published it would definitely be called a Novella. In my personal opinion its probably one of the most underrated Horror Stories of the last 50 years and definitely one of Stephen Kings most underrated works.

The premise is actually rather simple, there is a werewolf in the town of Tarker's Mills, a Town in Maine. Now of course there are people who are going to make the obligitory Stephen King only sets things in Maine joke, A. He also sets a decent amount of stuff in Colorado and has plenty of other places covered in books. B. Northern New England and Western Massachusetts are perfect horror settings.

Now the way the story is done is actually rather cool, the cycle refers to the fact it only comes out on the full moon, and that is when its set, 12 full moons, twelve days. Though one day is the day after the full moon covering the aftermath of the night before. He openly admits he takes liberty with the lunar cycle but he wanted to put days that set in our minds a certain month so no, there couldn't be a full moon on those all those days in a year, including 4th of July, Valentines Day, New Years. However if you honestly care, you shouldn't be reading a werewolf book.

The book is rather short, a hundred and twenty some odd pages and a bunch of it is illustrated and rather well.

The book is also a Fair Play Mystery, a person who knows their werewolf lore and more than I do mean more than the silver and full moon things, and isn't blind will spot the werewolf. I absolutely love this novella and I don't think I'm doing it justice, but what do you expect when Waffles starts gushing about a book he loves.

#wafflesreviewsbooks

24
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Awesome. Sounds like a good book. I love Misery by Stephen King.

Most Helpful Guy

• This got made into a film, with the underappreciated Gary Busey in a starring role.

I haven't seen it for years, and years, but my recollection was that it was pretty good.

I thought the book was better, though. Again, not read it for years and years, and had kind of forgotten about it, but it was a good one.

Is it still in print?

• I'm not sure, I read it from the library last year and listened to the audiobook today at work

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 1

• Nice! I love Sai King but haven't read this yet.

What Guys Said 3

• Silver Bullet is an awesome movie, man. I think its only one of those older thrillers I appreciate after Jaws.

• Steven kings the man and I could use something I can read rather quickly

• Make it into a movie and I will watch it