The Death Of AC/DC Guitarist Malcolm Young

Guitarist, backup singer, songwriter and co-founder of the band AC/DC passed away on November 18th at age 64. He battled dementia, along with other health issues that came right before. Many fans, including me, have been mourning the loss of this great legend.

He was part of the creation of AC/DC in 1973 with his younger brother, Angus. They created a band that lasted over 40 years and known by many, young and old. Though they had many fans, they also had many haters, due to the content of their music, being the rock n roll trinity of wine, women and song, and obviously about hell at times. The haters would simply think that AC/DC was the devil's music. But in my case, music is an art form, and not worshipping something evil.

Malcolm himself has influenced many musicians, such as Scott Ian of Anthrax, who is also a rhythm guitarist and has a Malcolm Young tattoo. Unlike Angus, who ran and rolled around the stage like a maniac in a schoolboy outfit, Malcolm stayed in the shadows on the stage.

However he did play a few guitar solos in early songs, such as "You Ain't Got A Hold On Me" and "Soul Stripper" (both found on the EP "'74 Jailbreak"). He was known as a riffmaster. A lot of the AC/DC song created only had just a few chords in it. However there are others that are more difficult such as "Back In Black".

The band had a few lineup changes, such as Dave Evans (singer) was replaced by Bon Scott, which some people don't even know occurred.

Bon later died and was replaced by Geordie's singer Brian Johnson. More changes happened with the bassists and drummers as well.

In 2014, as the band was on their way to creating "Rock or Bust" Malcolm had to leave due to his ill health. It was announced that he had dementia. However his nephew Stevie filled his spot. He did this once before in 1988 during touring due to Malcolm needing to be in rehab.

This is him during the Rock Or Bust tour. Below is when he was younger, and quite resembled his Uncle.

Malcolm Young passed peacefully with his family by his side. It is a death that has shook the music world. He's had major influence on many musicians. For me, he inspired me to learn "Back In Black" as a first song to ever learn on guitar. It is really difficult, as even some expert players have trouble. But I learned it, and learned many more songs, such as "T.N.T", "Highway To Hell", "Dirty Deeds", "Night Prowler", and currently "Let There Be Rock". A few of these I've learned by listening. I want to learn more from the Brian Johnson era as well. Because of him, I will soon be putting a band together. My parents introduced me to AC/DC when I was a baby, so from the beginning, Malcolm Young has taught me what music is all about. Even when i was a few years old i sang his songs in the car! My favorite was "Hells Bells" and still is. I have just about all their albums, and my parents collected some as well when I was little, including owning the "Bonfire" box set, which was all in tribute to Bon Scott. I was never able to go see them live, however. But it has been such an honor to grow up learning from such great talent. The Death Of AC/DC Guitarist Malcolm Young

And I continue learning now as I grow better and better as a fellow guitarist. I've always played guitar in honor of him. He is a fallen musical hero now, and I've seen how this has impacted many. Unfortunately I've dealt with more these days haters bashing me for honoring this guy because they think I'm honoring a sinful person. its not wrong to believe what you want to believe, but please don't bash me about it. Many fans are in mourning, and many are looking back at the memories that they made that involved Malcolm and his band. Do you have any memories and things you wanna share? If so then don't hesitate to leave them here. And if you want to leave a message of condolences and memories to Malcolm's family, go to his memorial tribute section on The Sydney Morning Herald website. For those who you've rocked, we salute you, Malcolm Young. Thank you for everything. Rest In Peace. \m/

01
themetalhead is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 1

• He will be missed. I unfortunately did not get the chance to see AC/DC.

• I tried to get tickets once but I couldn't. and right after, brian Johnson's hearing forced him out of the band

• Yeah. I think they might be done pretty soon

What Girls Said 0

Share the first opinion in your gender