5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

I asked people on GAG which alphabets they found most beautiful and now I'm going to share my opinion. This list is written in a chronological order where number one is the most beautiful alphabet for me among my five favorites.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

1) Arabic

5 Alphabets I Find Most BeautifulAbout the language: Arabic is a Semitic language used a lot in the Middle-east in different variations and between 300 - 400 millions knows the language. It's not a regular alphabet, but an abjad where the letters is representing consonants. Arabic has some vowels, but not that many and vowels aren't always written down. It's also the language of the Qur'an. Arabic has 28 letters that's written in different ways depending on if they're written in the beginning, the middle or the end of the sentence. In addition a letter can look different depending on if it's written in a sentence or is single. It's read from right to left - the opposite direction as the Latin alphabet. The Arabic alphabet is also frequently used in calligraphy and other art forms.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

All the 28 Arabic letters separate.

Why I like it: It's very curvy, detailed looking and has elegant shapes in it. I also likes the variation between the curviness, roundness and the straightness in the letters. The different looks each letters have and the dots gives it a lot of diversity, so it never gets boring to look at.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

How different the same letters can look like conjoined.

2) Sanskrit

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

About the language: Sanskrit is used in India and some other South-Asian countries. Some Hindus uses it and sees it as significant. Sanskrit is similar to Hindi since Hindi originated from Sanskrit.

Why I like it: It's joined together like Arabic, but is still looking very different from it. Sanskrit is also detailed and have some round or curvy shapes, but the line on the top that's connecting the letters together is straight giving a nice contrast.

3) Tengwar (The Elvish language)

5 Alphabets I Find Most BeautifulAbout the language: Tengwar is an invented language invented by the English author J.R.R Tolkien, the author of the lord of the rings and the hobbits. Tengwar is the elves' alphabet in the fictional universe he made up.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

Why I like it: It shares the decorative curviness and dots from the Arabic alphabet, but do also share the similar appearance of some of the eye catching and unique letters in the Greek one. In one way they looks Latin, but in another way it don't. Simply because they're more decorated, detailed and often stands in a different direction than the Latin ones. I would say they're softer, rounder and more feminine than the straight, harsh and edged Latin one. Tengwar looks like a mix between Georgian, Greek and Arabic.

4) Georgian

5 Alphabets I Find Most BeautifulAbout the language: The Georgian alphabet called "Mkhedruli" is used in the country Georgia. The alphabet has 33 letters nowadays, but earlier had 38. There's no differences between small or capital letters in it.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

Why I like it: I likes it because I finds it beautiful looking like the other alphabets mentioned in my list and because of the same reasons as Tengwar. Georgian shares some similarities with Tengwar appearance wise in my opinion and perhaps it inspired J.R.R Tolkien. My favorite letters in the Georgian alphabet is the heart shaped ones. I loves the aesthetic of them!

5) Chinese

5 Alphabets I Find Most BeautifulAbout the language: Chinese isn't like the Latin alphabet where each letters represents a sound and it exists thousands of Chinese characters. Instead of having several letters built in a word, it's signs representing words. It's one character for the word "House" for example, while there's another character for the word "Food". They've also characters for words like "And" and other abstract things. Sometimes the signs are designed so it looks similar to the word it represents. Sometimes two Chinese signs can be merged together if the signs' meanings is related to the two words.

5 Alphabets I Find Most Beautiful

Why I like it: It looks detailed like drawings and the playful forms makes it more interesting to look at. There's as many Chinese characters as it can be peoples living in cities, so seeing Chinese letters is like meeting new people frequently. How you get to know some people and remember them next time you meet them - it's how a person learning Chinese get to know new characters and remember them the next times. But both living in a big city and learning Chinese is about getting to know something new. Then it would never become boring because people gets the variation when it comes to the letters in Chinese and which people they're interacting with. Fascinating!

PS! I can't any of these languages and do only find the alphabets beautiful. I knows some of these facts thanks to the official Norwegian encyclopedia "Det store norske leksikon" which I used as source for much of the information. It's written in my first language Norwegian.

#Alphabet #BeautifulAlphabet

710
curiousnorway is a GirlsAskGuys Influencer
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• A great take! I really enjoyed reading this. I'm glad you find the Chinese characters beautiful. The Chinese characters are really meaningful, and I find it heartwarming that you appreciate it. Well there are traditional and simplified Chinese, and traditional Chinese is the one that holds its original meaning. I'm really saddened I grew up having to learn simplified Chinese instead of traditional Chinese.

I must also agree that the Arabic alphabets are beautiful.

無論如何,這文章寫得特別好,加油!
    (Regardless, this article was very well written, press on!)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah Chinese can be fun but I didn't learn it.

There are subtle meaning behind words that combine together from smaller words. if you stack 3 "trees" together you get "forest".

Then something like a roof, with a woman and single mouth is "peace" as in your house is at peace if you have one wife who only talk like 1 person. Increase that "mouth" into 3 mouths and you have a mess because your wife is now the talk show.

• Correction: woman under a roof means peace. No month.

I guess the old school of getting your woman to stay home and not go out to cause trouble...

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 6

• I think Myanmar alphabet look very pretty : မြန်မာအက္ခရာ
    Thai alphabet, ประเทศไทย
    Korean alphabet : 대구광역시
    and Cyrillic, Оймякон

• chinese characters are convenient because you can immediately get an idea just by looking at even one or two

• arab alphabet is the most beautiful

• Georgian 💕 heart shapes 😍 told ya.

• Wow the Georgian ! Love it

• Why isn't Korean on here? This is a rhetorical question no response please just my opinion.

What Guys Said 9

• Incredible and original idea, but I really think you should throw out the Tolkien one and put one more real alphabet.

• I still likes the Tolkien alphabet and would definitive not remove it from my favorites.

• I know but you could've used that space to put a real alphabet. You should've put it as an honorable mention. I think that would be fairer.
      Hmong and Thai alphabets are also beautiful. And Armenian.

• oh sanskrit,
    there was a time i had conversation in that,
    its been a decade...
    sanskrit is as old as time itself, i dare you to trace its origin

• Yep. Arabic caligraphy is beautiful. And chinese too.

• Interesting, I like the Georgian. Never seen it before.

• Chinese and Japanese alphabets look so similar

• I like Cyrillic alphabets also

• That's awesome

• Very interesting take thanks.

• Its a shame it got linked to a fake religion like islam. Now its the ugly text of terror, pedophiles and lazy nations.