A Quiet Place: A piece of cinematic brilliance

A family is forced to live in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.

-imdb

SPOILER ALERT! Spoilers ahead and throughout!

Before you go into this movie remember: don't expect a clear-cut horror movie, I repeat, this is NOT a horror. It surely has some horror elements within it, but it is a well thought out piece of psychological thriller with dramatic overtones throughout.

In a dystopian world where people live in complete silence, fend for themselves and take care of their littlest ones we meet one family. A family of 5.

The movie starts by letting you know it's been less than 100 days since this all started, so it's all pretty fresh and they're still working on how to survive and thrive in the best possible way.

People aren't allowed to speak IF they want to stay alive since the creatures (presumably aliens) are attracted to sound and will kill/destroy anything or anyone who creates it.

They can't see, but that's another reason why their sense of hearing is so amplified.

The monsters do not eat the victims, they exclusively kill them, which makes me think they're possibly aliens sent to Earth to rid the planet of us, humans, to make room for their own kind.

The movie is not afraid of character deaths, in fact, it's thoroughly realistic in depicting them, which means this movie, for me, is a piece of film which I can really stand behind.

The silence is key. It's not there solely to accomplish a certain role in the movie, it's there to amplify everything else going on in it, which, in and of itself, was brilliant.

Stephen King: "‘A Quiet Place’ is an extraordinary piece of work,” King raved. “Terrific acting, but the main thing is the SILENCE, and how it makes the camera’s eye open wide in a way few movies manage.”

To communicate with each other they use sign language which is particularly useful for their deaf daughter. She, as all teenagers usually do, complicates their lives unnecessarily and the actions she takes put their lives in jeopardy.

The movie is brilliant in many aspects, but mostly, as S. King stated, the quiet is particularly brilliant as it amplifies all the scenes which seem deafening with it and the gentle and heart felt ones that drown you in the sea of beautiful sounds.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Did you see this movie?

What did you think of it? Like it, disliked it?

Comment below!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6644200/

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/stephen-king-a-rave-review-review-extra-ordinary-1201949980/

24
LittleSally is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• Have you seen Hush?
    Its a home invasion slasher where the protagonist is a Deaf Author.
    Its one of the best horror films I've ever seen.
    If you had told me before that one of the horror films ever made would be a home invasion slasher filmed on a budget of a million dollars and distributed by Netflix I would tell you that you're smoking crack
    Now I know its the truth

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • For my taste in movies, it was pretty crappy... I just couldn't get into it...

Most Helpful Girl

• Can't wait to see it!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 3

• I saw this movie and it was really good. I don't understand why they didn't focus more on the other groups of people though. They showed there were others but it never focused on it again.

Also, why did the dad have to die? There were much better plans than that.

• I saw it 2 days ago and it's one of the best movies I've ever seen although there wasn't much talking involves but I didn't feel boredom and the scene where John karsinski sacrificed himself it was a piece of work literally cried

• Brokeback mountain was cinematic brilliance

What Girls Said 1