myReview 30 d

Stephen Reviews: Howl's Moving Castle

Stephen Reviews: Howls Moving Castle

Out of all of Miyazaki's films, the one that everyone keeps talking about other than Spirited Away is Howl's Moving Castle. It's not hard to see why. Just like all of Miyazaki's films it's really visually appealing. There is also a huge sense of suspense and action in it as well.

In my opinion it's like a mixture of " Wizard of Oz" meets "Spirited Away" with a dash of " Nausica Of The Valley of the Wind", "Kiki's Delivery Service", and " Anne of Green Gables". All wrapped up in a Steampunk/ Victorian England fantasy package. The setting of the film is in Europe (more specifically in the UK) between 1900 and 1917 which in the movie a war takes place which is alluding to World War 1.

There is a lot of stunning visuals and action scenes to be found in this movie. The voice cast is also top notch with Christian Bale as Howl, Billy Crystal as Calcifer (who by the way is one of the best parts of the film), Josh Hutcherson as Markl, Lauren Bacall, and Blythe Danner.

I'm not big on spoilers so I'm just gonna give my thoughts. I thought it was really well done. It was one of Miazayki's best masterpieces next to Spirited Away. The musical score " Merry go Round of Life" really suits the film. It's one of Joe Hisaishi's best pieces along with " Town with an Ocean View", "Always With Me" , and " Path of the Wind". Like I previously stated there is a lot of connections to Western works like "Wizard of Oz" and "Anne of Green Gables" along with other Miyazaki's other works like "Nausica", "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Spirited Away".

There's only one thing minor I thought the movie could have done better. I think it could have had a little bit more comic relief. I mean Calcifer really was the comic relief in this movie. But I get this is a more action packed work than " My Neighbor Totoro" or "Kiki's Delivery Service".

Overall I give the movie 4 out of 5 stars. It's two hours of immersion like Spirited Away and Wizard of Oz. On my rank of favorite Studio Ghibli films it would be in my top 5. It's definitely a must watch for a anime fan or even a non anime fan that like fantasy and action/adventure films.

Stephen Reviews: Howl's Moving Castle
1
5

Most Helpful Guys

• Fair criticism. As you said, the hand-drawn animation is really something special and Miyazaki's work goes toe to toe with some of today's stuff. The soundtracks were also especially good in this movie. It is both appealing to the eye and the ear.

I will say that one issues I have with it is that I struggled to follow the logic behind some of the phenomenon throughout. I may do a review on it some day and elaborate more.

I agree with your rating. I think this movie is an 8/10. Ahead of its time in many ways.
    Is this still revelant?
    • It was good. But spirited away is still my favorite. This is still in the top five like I already said.

• SirRexington
    Awesome. Glad to see you do a take on it and that you enjoyed it. Even as someone who traditionally doesn't watch anime, these films and this one in particular are too notch quality cinema.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• Gwenhwyfar
    Great Take!
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

03
  • Jjpayne
    This was one of my favorite films done by the company and im glad you enjoyed it! Great review and mytake!
  • CaptainSmartass
    Sounds good. I might check it out.

Simples...
  • WorkFFS
    Why do you feel the need to share your opinion?
    • Why don't you mind your own damn business? This is what this site is for is giving opinions and writing about things.

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!