Is it easier to be a ballerina with stronger, more muscular legs, with a really thin frame or with really lean musculature?

Is it easier to be a ballerina with stronger, more muscular legs, with a really thin frame or with really lean musculature?Best answers expected from actual ballerinas! =)
  • Stronger, more muscular legs.
  • Thin frame.
  • Lean musculature.
    Vote C

25

Most Helpful Guy

• Thin if say because of the weight being placed on the ankles and toes, arthritis is common with retired ballerinas. There's a reason ballerinas are usually super thin.
    My cousin's mother forced her to do ballet for years even though she was big boned and not built for it. She ended up with spine and joint problems in her toes, ankles and knees. Of course the bad diet didn't help.

Most Helpful Girl

• "There are several components to physical fitness including strength and flexibility, both of which are necessary for a dancer.

Flexibility allows for increased range of motion and accomplishes the aesthetic of dance.

Muscular strength creates speed and force, making for more powerful movement.

It is evident through research that dancers are not as strong as they should be to support their flexibility and technique. Media often highlights dancers in overly stretched positions to amplify flexibility, but rarely are dancers encouraged to engage in muscular strength training.

A balance between muscular strength and flexibility needs to be understood and encouraged in the dance world to ensure that dancers are properly trained to promote health and career longevity.

Movements such as jumps, floor work, partner work, or adagio (slow controlled movements) require muscular strength for control, graceful execution, and safety. "