myReview 1 mo

Cognitive Distortions

Cognitive Distortions

Your Thoughts Are Not What They Appear
Your Thoughts Are Not What They Appear

Hi guys and girls. Hope all is well. I will be covering 7 different types of cognitive distortions and how to tell if you have distorted thinking. This myTake is inspired from my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy classes. Cognitive distortions are illogical thoughts that can convince someone that unsubstantiated and unrealistic thoughts are true.Those thoughts will reinforce negative feelings and emotions that will make you believe it's actually the most logical and rational way to go. Hopefully you will be able to identify at least one distortion you have or had in the past. This is not an all inclusive list. There are 15 different cognitive distortions that I will cover but only 7 for this myTake. Let's get started

1. Personalization

I Am The Cause Of This
I Am The Cause Of This

Personalization is a way in which a person personalizes everything that happens to them. They feel responsible in some kind of way for everything that goes wrong in their lives. For example, if someone forgets to respond to a message and you instantly think "they are not texting me back because they are mad or they hate me" this is considered a distorted thought. Usually when these thoughts happen it is automatic. It's the first thing that comes to mind when something goes wrong. Do you manage to find a way to make it personal? If so, you have some distorted thinking. Don't take things so personally.

2. Filtering

Please Don't Help Me I Wish To Remain Sad

Filtering is when you are focusing solely on being negative and ignoring anything positive. For example, let's say you ask a question asking for help with something negative that is happening to you, and you receive really good POSITIVE advice, but instead of taking the advice and adjusting your thinking you reject all the help that's being offered to you. You are content with being negative and nothing that anyone says will make you see the positives. Are you a negative Nancy or Nick?

3. Catastrophizing

i.e. If I Don't Find A Job I Will Starve, Become Homeless, And Lose My Friends

Catastrophizing occurs when you start assuming the worst case scenario of a given situation or experience. For example, you are going to get your license for the first time and you think "I am going to fail, I am going to have a car accident, I will have to come back and take it again, etc" Did you notice how fast that got elevated? If you tend to jump to the absolute worst possible outcome then you may be catastrophizing. This is my go to distortion and the one I have to work on the most. When I have anxiety, I naturally catastrophize because fight, flight, freeze is activated. Moving on

4. The "Shoulds"

"Should of, would of, could of." Do you have the Shoulds? I should have finished my homework, I should have taken that raise, I should have taken that job, I should have texted him back, I should have called her back, etc. If you are suffering from the "Shoulds" then your thinking may be distorted. The best way to tell is to see how many times a day you use the word "should." Stop shoulding yourself.

5. Global Labeling And Mislabeling

i.e. If You Take Selfies You Are Conceited Or Insecure

Global labeling occurs when one generalizes a few situations, events, people or experiences and makes a judgement. Usually when this happens they will use emotionally fueled and exaggerated language. So for instance, you meet two people from a certain culture and use that to make an outrageous judgement, opinion, or observation. For example, "why are all white girls only interested in different races", "why do all women like to hurt men", "why do black girls only date black guys", "why do all women hate men", "why do all men hate women", "in Japan everyone hates black people" (this was my personal favorite) the list goes on and on. This may indicate distorted thinking

6. Mind Reading

I Know Exactly What You Are Thinking
I Know Exactly What You Are Thinking

Mind reading occurs when someone can intuitively figure out what someone else is thinking. Usually mediums and clairvoyants are the only mind readers that are acknowledged and even then their abilities have limits. So it's safe to say there is a 99.9% chance that you cannot read someones direct thoughts. Instead, you are making assumptions about others' thoughts. For example, have you ever tried to tell someone what they were thinking? "I know you must think I am dumb", "I know you must think I am crazy", "I know you must think I am fat", etc. If you are a self proclaimed mind reader then your thinking could possibly be distorted.

7. Jumping To Conclusions

Hold On, Let Me Jump To Conclusions
Hold On, Let Me Jump To Conclusions

Jumping to conclusions occurs when you decide the outcome of any given situation without factual evidence. For example, a girl cancels a dinner date and your automatic thought is "she is not interested", this is considered jumping to conclusions, filtering, personalization, and mind reading all in one automatic negative thought. It is very important to practice mindfulness to gain full awareness of self. Only with awareness will you be able to identify which distortions you have. If you want tips on how to rid yourself of these harmful distortions please let me know!!!!!!! The end.

Warning: Thoughts Are Not Always What They Appear

Hi guys and girls thanks again for reading and leaving feedback. Cognitive work is not easy and can take years to effectively change one's behavior but it worked for me and I hope this information will be useful for others. There is a way to rid yourself of these cognitive distortions and I would love to cover a mytake if that would be beneficial for readers. Please let me know if you need tips to control distorted thinking!!!!! Disclaimer: I do not own or profit off of the Illustrations utilized in this post. Please give credit to the artists and support their works by giving a like or a follow to their pages. They are extremely talented and deserve recognition. Sending ☮️ and love ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Have A Wonderful COLORFUL Day

🧡💛💚💙💜♥️
🧡💛💚💙💜♥️
Cognitive Distortions
12
10

Join the discussion

Most Helpful Guys

• Well done! I've heard of CBT, didn't know the content.

Mind reading: I've heard science is studying how people see the future, not if. That isn't mind reading, but says there is something beyond what we "think". I have not had success reading peoples minds, but I've had enough scenarios of reading peoples emotions and conformation, that I believe that is a skill. Bible calls this... spiritual discernment. It makes sense how it works, this is what I think. Emotions are energy, I have enough context to read what someones expression, emotion is projecting to correlate something about their life, how they got to that place they are.

That is not mind reading, it's reading human emotion. Animals read emotion, we read emotion when opposite sex sends us a non verbal signal. All this seems valid. But I see your point about "reading mind" can be flawed and thus we make flawed assumptions. I have read things wrong before, it helps to get feedback and confirmation.

And lastly... there is something called gas lighting... that is like the opposite of my distorted truth, it's projected in distortion. I see something on the ceiling, like 3 lights... which are there, but someone intentionally says..."no... there are 4 lights!". People will hurt other people... corporations will hurt people. It's control.

• bulletbob555

Very good takes. Do put the rest up. I have always enjoyed psychology. I knew one person almost all my life that had two of them and he was a very unhappy tortured soul. He passed away last summer. It makes me sad as I have known him since the 9th grade.

• I am incredibly sorry for your lost. 🙏 I appreciate you reading and leaving feedback. Thank you for being so open and honest ♥️♥️♥️

• Thanks

Most Helpful Girls

• Adelphïné

Cognitive distortions: that would explain why so many people say and do things that don't make sense. Excellent post. Thank you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Free book: "Woman to Women" @ smashwords. com/books/view/938595 🌟

• Thanks for the Amazing feedback. I just love it 💗💗💗

• Anonymous

Thank you for this post. I was very low today, and doing all of these things.
    It helped me come out a little of my darkness. May I ask how have such insightful knowledge, especially given you are a younger girl?

• Omg 😭😭😢 I'm so glad this helped you in a dark time. I have been studying psychology for about 3 years before I joined the Marine corps. During my time enlisted I developed multiple mental health issues and recieved cbt and dbt for 2+ years. I also have a lot of life experience from leaving home at 17 to get away from my family. So all together I know how to manage depression, anxiety, anger, PTSD, bipolar disorder, and negative cognitive behaviors. I don't usually share private matters on posts but I hope maybe it will make whoever reads this feel less alone. Thank you so very much ♥️♥️♥️♥️

• Anonymous

Thank you.

• How To Rid Yourself Of Cognitive Distortions ↗ I hope this helps. ♥️♥️♥️

810
  • coolbreeze

Thanks for sharing and breaking down the terms.

• Just-Confused

This is a really neat take! Thanks for explaining all these that's very interesting, I never knew that about thinking. I think I think fine but I've had a couple of these happen before when I'm just thinking to myself though.

• midnightmoon05

Good Take Miss. Secret. Great contribution to GAG community... Thank you for writing. Will you be sharing part 2?

• Passinggas

The challenge with being too smart about these things is paralysis by analysis when you start to over analyze everything and you are frozen with indecision.

• SexyAshh

Girrrllllll, you have been killing it with these MyTakes lately! This was great, once again!!🔥❤️👏👍

• OMG!!! You are always so sweet!!! Thank you so much!!! ♥️♥️♥️♥️

• ShyJenii

I have multiple of these. I would really love to learn how to work on getting rid of these. Thank your sharing.

• ChocolateBrowny

Nice take, you don’t normally verbalise you’re thoughts about this so it’s interesting how perception plays apart in your decision making

• Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. It's gladly appreciated❤️❤️❤️

• Magnificent concept.

I feel lucky this Take caught my eye (I'm not really a Take reader)

• Miss_Savanna_Dry

Great mytake❤ unfortunately I'm number 1 personalization. Hate it.

• Thanks so much for the feedback. I will be posting how to combat distortions as soon as they happen. So hopefully the tips will be effective for everyone ♥️🥰

• Cee007

This was really helpful and interesting! Thank you :)

• DiegoO

Many thanks for the information. I think I may have 2 distortions.

• KaiOZ

I have number 3 Catastrophizing: which is caused by my generalized anxiety disorder. Like a had a unpaid fine and went to check up on it years later and it said its currently in the enforcement warrant stage. I started overthinking about going to jail and for a long time. I was constantly thinking of it and was giving me severe anxiety and depression then I looked into it a bit more and arranged a payment plan which put the warrant on hold and eventually got it paid off.

Another example of when it happens is when I was a smoker I constantly lived in fear I was going to die at any moment. While its true cigs are bad but I was way overthinking about it to the point it made me quit. Same with alcohol I get worried I'm going to get liver disease by just drinking a few beers.

• I am so sorry. Thanks for taking some time to read and leave feedback. It's gladly appreciated. 🌺

• Do i get a special prize if I'm 7/7? Because I am :(. Do you have any tips to get rid of these?

• I do have tips and tools to help you fight off distortions. I will post it in a mytake if that would be beneficial. Thanks for being so honest and leaving feedback. ♥️♥️♥️

• Thank you :)

• Smoothing

Thanks for sharing.

• Great job

• Thanks for the feedback ❤️❤️❤️

• Imanxnasser

Welp... I’m every single one daily

• Glen68

I definitely use personalization

• Anonymous

... when all of them explained me to a T

• Oh no!!! 😢 Thanks for leaving feedback ❤️ Please read my follow up take of How To Rid Yourself Of Cognitive Distortions