Ethical Fashion, Should We Be Making More of an Effort?

Over the weekend I happened across this video of Jim Carrey being interviewed at NYFW.

It resulted in a personal analysis of the fashion industry and ultimately the consumerist environment it endorses. Perhaps not entirely related to the video itself, probably inspired by Carrey's opinion that 'none of it matters,' I started thinking about the increasing amount of ethical awareness seen through smaller, and sometimes more major, brands. In my opinion there has been some really amazing progress in the industry, the pressure from consumers also means a lot of designers / brands have created sub-collections that promote ethical fashion over fast fashion, just like the Conscious collection at H&M.

GANT just launched an 'upcycled' sub-collection that promotes a more eco-conscious method of being stylish. The upcycled idea, in my opinion, really works. After manufacturing shirting, GANT takes the leftover pieces of fabric and used them to create patchwork shirts. There's so much waste being created by the fashion industry, so I'm wondering why more places aren't doing something similar?

Ultimately should we be making more of an effort to be more ethical through our own personal choices? I applaud H&M for creating a conscious collection, and GANT for upcycling some of their shirts, but I personally find it difficult shopping with an ethical mind. I feel that the fashion industry doesn't extensively cater to ethical fashion, making it harder for us to shop in this way alone. What do you think?

1018

Most Helpful Guy

• This is an interesting question.

I personally think the fashion industry has room to become more eco-friendly and I think part of the reason why it isn't is because consumers haven't expected it to.
    I doubt large retailers (Macy's, Khols, AE) will be the ones who fill this niche, I think smaller boutiques can really step up and fill this void. I definitely think fashion can and should be more conscious and I think it will start to change in the near future.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 17

• 7d

I agree with him. Modern fashion is awful. Fashion and so called "icons" objectify people and make up pop standards by which no one can ever attain. Cosmopolitan and all these organizations that push this stuff are equally as destructive as the porn industry. They have women running around looking like little girls so doctored up that they look like a barbie doll. With all the hair removal and such, is it any wonder why there are so many pedophiles? Men no longer look like men, they look and act like a little boy who never had his manhood form. They are constantly buying new cloths and paying visits to the salon for waxing to keep up so they can look fake and impress each other. An entire generation of people think they can live in an alternate reality where they think they are Hollywood stars. They have no grasp on true love or human affection. They have no idea how to actually do a days hard work for a living. If there were a true emergency, 90% would die within 48 hours because they have no idea to survive on their own because they are so connected to the system and a number in a big city. Instead, its a party every night with casual sex. I'd say Jim is finally waking up and being truthful and honest with the rest of us, something to this day most stars won't do because they like to lie and be something they are not. In turn, most people also lie to themselves and try to be something or someone they are not! Its a vicious and evil cycle and its catching up to the point to where society is coming apart at the seems and ripe for destruction!

• The reporter's reactions to Jim were comical. Just goes to show you that some people don't know how to react.

• Jim Carrey is some pretty serious mental illnesses. He's a little cracked.

• 7d

Well given what he did to that woman it doesn't surprise me.

• Yes more hemp, bamboo fiber or just regular cotton / more plant based fibers less lethal or non eventually biodegradable materials like plastic leathers.

• You know, leather is a natural item. You may not like how it is obtained, but it is.

• @Curmudgeon Yes I do know that
      hence "lethal or non eventually biodegradable materials" not
      "lethal and other non eventually biodegradable materials"
      Its the fact leather in fashion attracts the desire for things more exotic that just cow hides
      and you get animals that would not normally be used anyway as part of the meat industry encouraging poaching as well as providing greater support for the meat industry/lowering prices of meat by raising the price of leather increasing consumption meaning less efficient use of arable land plus in a balanced diet i think meat has a place but should make up only a small portion of your intake maybe 1/8th witch would be encouraged by higher prices.
      as well as lower prices on plants as a result of less of the land being used for meet.
      leather would still continue being used for car seats, sofas etc it wouldn't go to waste but also would fetch a lower price indirectly lowering meat consumption to more balanced levels and improving public health.

• 7d

Jim is spot on. He's half crazy, always has been. But these days it seems like he's awakened and sees/plays with the reality of the world and our impermanence. Some people find that hard to deal with or nihilistic, others like me see it as metaphysically playful. You just have to see from his perspective... mushrooms can help with that ;)

• 7d

Who cares.

• If I had the money I would probably care.

• Yes..

• Yeah

• thre are more important things to solve regarding environment than this. high prices of all of this are causing that this is affecting planet at minimum level. it is almost nonsense to try to find solution here.

• I agree with whatever Jim Carrey says.

• Interesting take

• 7d

Yeah, I agree.

• I would say so, more environmentally friendly and suiting more body types would go a long way

• Jim carry has mental problems

• It would be nice.

• good one

What Girls Said 10

• How Pseudo Concious of him to show up and ramble on. He doesn't realize that his reality is shaped by his own experiences. I personally don't care for the fashion industry, but that's just because my experiences have forced me to focus on some really grim realities. It's always interesting to see people claim that nothing anybody else has experienced or desired is relevant. Carey has been a creep and he's always given me an unsettling vibe since I saw him in the mask.
    He's vigorously renounced vaccines, is believed to have provided the drugs that led to his ex gf's suicide after he had given her 3 different STD's degraded her and siced his legal and PR people on her, He claims that he dreamt of killing his mother for some time, he's believed to be hooked on coke, etc.. The dude isn't well.

• How pseudo concious of you to show up here talking about yourself and your experiences and how his experieces, you dont know entirelly, dont care. Dont be such a hypocrite

• Well now that you put it this way it sound entirely different and i can agree with you. Would you mind explaining to me how's that of him showing up and saying to the guest that tgei opinion doesn't count? (not being sarcastic nor anything, I truly dont know the entire history of what happened)

• @Arcari Sorry I'm mad late to reply. watch the attached vid from 14 secs onward, he gets more condescending and random onward.

• If you want to support ethical companies, then seek them out. Not all companies are going to jump on this bandwagon, but that shouldn't stop you from supporting the ones you like. 👍

• Yea Jim was wilding but I expect that of him. But thats a very smart way of manufacturing, and more should follow suiy

• The title of this is all I need to see - YES that's not even a question!!

• I'm confused, whats ethical shopping exactly?
    Also, Jim Carrey sure sounded like a nihilistic in the video. That reporter's reactions made me cringe a bit.

• I'd care if I bought my clothes at any of the major brands. But alas, I don't.

• natural fibres are best

• Interesting

• If you want to talk about Ethical shopping, how about we start with paying the workers a decent salary to produce the clothes. Most of these companies hire cheap labor from third world countries and pay the next to nothing.

• Yeah