Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell was one of the most popular teen shows of it's time which ran from 1989 to 1992 with spinoffs that followed. Almost every teen and young adult watched the show when it was on and, just as teen shows work today, people want to gobble up everything that their favorite actors are wearing. If this show were marketed today, it would probably be worth millions in advertising for sure.

This show was one of the first of many to come to really establish the idea that teens have distinct and unique cliques which are hard to break from. This was emphasized by almost a strict dress code for each of the characters. It was actually shocking to see the characters on occasion, break from their usual prescribed dress code and wear something "the cool kids" wore or "the nerds wore," but on this same token, it made it easy for people to be able to identify with the fashionable one or the nerd or the jock and adapt their style as their own.

There are so many style elements on the show and of the time period that have come back again, as fashion has a tendency to do, but just in more modern or updated ways. Below are outfits that have that Saved By The Bell flair to them, based on what I think their characters would be wearing today. I think a lot of the style on the show is still wearable in different styles and cuts. Like you probably wouldn't wear or can't really find pleated or Zumba pants, but you can still wear high waisted jeans or acid washed jeans in say a skinny jean or you may wear neon colors maybe in just one item of clothing vs. all of them.

Lisa Turtle

Title: Fashion Queen, Gossip Queen, Match Maker

Wore: Suits, bright colors, neon colors, western wear, tapered colorful jeans, tie dye, Madonna inspired outfits, A LOT of hats

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Kelly Kapowski

Title: Popular, All-American Girl Next Door, Cheerleader

Wore: Body con dresses, florals, flats, mini skirts, bustier tops, colorful denim/acid washed jackets, mom jeans, taffeta dresses, A LOT of crop tops

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Zach Morris

Title: Preppy, Popular, Yuppie

Wore: Denim on denim, colorful shirts,shorts, and turtle necks, stripes, color blocking, "Miami Vice" suits, A LOT of sweaters

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Jessie Spano

Title: Feminist, Liberal, Activist, Neurotic

Wore: Earth tone patterned shirts with pants/jeans, blazers, touches of western wear, dresses over bike shorts, A LOT of vests

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

A.C. Slater

Title: Jock, Popular, Ladies Man

Wore: Patterned shirts with sleeves rolled up, letterman jacket, Zumba pants, high waisted acid washed jeans, "Miami Vice" suits, A LOT of tank tops

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration
Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration
Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Samuel "Screech" Powers

Title: Nerd, Geek, Unpopular kid

Wore: High tops, suspenders, opened buttoned down shirts with t-shirt underneath, propeller hat, Zumba pants, A LOT of any and everything with clashing pattern and color

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration

Saved By The Bell Fashion Inspiration
3
3

Most Helpful Guy

• AlwaysBelieving

It could just be me, but I think Jessie Spano wore a lot more mom jeans than Kelly Kapowski. I didn't know there was a spin off to this show.

• BeeNee

The spinoff was Saved By The Bell: The New Class which lasted 7 seasons actually (none of which I watched, so I can't tell you what happened there).

• Ah. I only watched when the original Saved by the Bell went off to college

Most Helpful Girl

• PrincessPie

I was literally addicted to this when little! think I've seen all of them lol.
    Cool take.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

22
  • DeeDeeDeVour

I enjoyed watching Saved By The Bell! I copied Jessie, Kelly & Lisa often. However, the Kelly looked seemed to fit me more. Also, I actually met Tiffani Amber Theissen in person by accident at a Sherman Oaks mall not long after the show ended in the mid '90s. It started when we "battled" for a parking space outside wherein I gave in to her & her companions. I didn't recognized her out there as she was wearing large sunglasses & a hat. Later inside the mall, she approached me & thanked me for letting her have the parking spot. I freaked out! Then, she bought me a yummy cold beverage from Cinnabon. She's cool! :)

• BeeNee

sounds cool

• Makaha

Awww, you got to meet Kelly! Beside her gratitude for the parking spot and the treat, did you get the sense she was true or fake? I honestly see Tiffani as truly cool.

• @Makaha: From a distance, she made an effort to approach me and thank me. I could've just been anybody not worth remembering or recognizing. But, I was impressed that she recognized me from afar and remembered where she first saw me. Coming up to me and doing the nice things that she did was "above and beyond" for me! Would somebody fake do all those nice things? I believe she's genuinely cool!

• Audreyweirdo

omgg saved by the bell was the show back then! that was my alarm clock for School. Saved by the bell, Steve Harvey, Footlose, and all other shows and movies showed a better style than they are showing today. I always liked Lisa and Slater style

• Makaha

I had the hots for Kelly! I never followed the trends of the guys. Not my style.

• Meninist

Loved the show but wouldn’t wear their clothes now unless I were at a 90’s themed party.