My Unpopular Makeup and Beauty Opinions

Of course, a big part of it is based on what works for me and what does not, but here are some of my unpopular opinions, in no particular order.

1. What is wrong with shimmer on the eyelid crease?

Why is it called a 'makeup mistake'? It doesn't always look that bad!

Shimmer on the crease can actually look quite good at times!

2. Primers are Overrated

I have huge pores on my skin and I tries using primers to deal with them. They either worsened the appearance of pores or made no significant difference. I am not saying that primers are pointless or you should stop using them- one of them helped with my oily skin, but they are still kinda overrated to me.

I don't hate this product, but it did nothing much for me.

3. What's wrong with setting liquid foundation with powder foundation?

I set my thin Maybelline Fit Me Foundation with another light layer of Mac Studio Fix powder foundation, and for additional setting I do add some translucent powder but that's because my skin is really oily. It doesn't look bad and cakey at all. As long as you use thin layers and don't load up too much product, you should be good. Basically, as long as you intend to add more coverage with powder, then I don't see why you can't use it over liquid foundation. I like to use a beauty blender to do it.

You can still use it over foundation that is already set with powder if you want, but add little by little.

4. Hooded eyes aren't a 'problem'

Why do makeup gurus preach it to be a bad thing or a problem even though plenty of beautiful women have them? There are plenty of examples among celebrities with hooded eyes, such as:

Adriana Lima
Adriana Lima
Monica Bellucci
Monica Bellucci
Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift

There are plenty, so I wanna end with my last but not least,

Melania Trump
Melania Trump

5. You don't always need your eyeliner to be the blackest black

Except for a big event, I don't mind an eyeliner that is not very intense black. I actually kinda like using them for a thin line above the eyelashes. It still defines the eyes without looking too stark, in fact it might also look like I got no makeup on, and still my lashline would look fuller in selfies.

Sometimes I like to use a less intense black intentionally!

6. It is okay to match your eyeshadow color with your outfit

There is a Desi makeup rule to NEVER match your eyeshadow with your colorful clothes, because that is what most people do and it looks tacky. I don't think that it's always the case. I matched my eyeshadow with my Desi clothes before and it didn't look bad at all!

My Unpopular Makeup and Beauty Opinions

7. You shouldn't wear editorial makeup, or makeup that changes your face, on a picture on a dating profile or for a first date.

I think it is best that you look like yourself. No need to slim down a wide/round/chubby face (c'mon it's actually cute!). No need to straighten curly hair. While it is true that guys can definitely see your purple eyeshadow and pink lipstick and understand that it is not natural, if you heavily cover your skin, contour it and change it then don't expect him to be happy to see your bare face. Do try different looks once you are in a relationship, because by then he will know what your bare face looks like and you both can have fun.

Of course, you can do whatever you want. But when it is to impress a man, you do have to think what he would like as well!

Men just don't want to feel deceived!

And my final opinion(s) before I finish this myTake...

If you wear makeup because you are dependent on it to feel beautiful, then makeup isn't what you need.

My Unpopular Makeup and Beauty Opinions

You need to work on your confidence, and feeling comfortable on your own skin. You need to learn that there is nothing wrong with how you look.

If you have issues with skin and acne, you need to take care of your skin before you use makeup.

Makeup is a totally optional thing. Heck, go makeup-free on your wedding if you want. Who cares? I personally love it and I like to wear it, and even then I am aware that this is something that I can totally live without.

Have fun with it!
Have fun with it!

That's all for this myTake. Thanks for reading, you are awesome! :)

2116
CubsterShura is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• These shouldn't be unpopular opinions! They sound great to me, and everyone has their own preference when it comes to makeup application. The way your makeup should look completely depends on your skin type, face shape and other aesthetic features. You look great and you're doing nothing wrong :)

• Shimmer on crease and foundation powder for setting are two big makeup no-no's, others aren't that big of a deal, but they still aren't very popular makeup opinions except the last bit.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 16

• I'm going to save this for my daughter since I am clueless about makeup.

Personally, I prefer that my girlfriend not wear makeup at all when we're together (on the job is a different story).

• Aren't you gonna see her bare face at home anyway? What's the deal if she wears makeup?

• She feels the need to wear it to work, and I can't substitute my judgement for hers on that.

• Some people do feel the need of it a little bit in professional environments

• I liked this take.
    Next time I’ll use a dull brown lipstick instead of a bright red one on first dates😇
    Thank you. It helped alot🤭

• I've never known much about women's make up so this is an education for me... LOL

• Nice take. I personally prefer no or very casual makeup.

• Great take, but I'm definitely out of my depth here...

• Melania went too far, but yeah, otherwise. Cat eyes are the best.

• Haha just take it lightly! Her makeup style is actually quite different from what people conventionally use these days.

• This I mind blowing some girls look completely different

• Good for you

• thats attractive, keep it up

• Makeup is a turn off.

• So what does it have to do with this myTake, again?

• 2d

the makeup part

• nice take

• Agreed

• Perfect beauty hacks

• Tbh ion like make-up

• No idea in this regard

• ahh monica..

What Girls Said 20

• Lord this is all too much for me. 😂😂😂 I slap some eyeshadow, liner, and mascara on my eyes and I'm good. Takes me like 5 minutes tops to do my makeup. I don't know anything about all this fancy shit.

• Life was so much simple when I didn't know so much about makeuo either 😂😂

• Truth! The women in my family all used to judge this one woman who’d color coordinate her eyeshadow w her outfit. I thought it looked fine, they didn’t.

• Wear what makes you happy
    I personally never wear black eyeliner because I think it ages me and looks too harsh
    Brown or white are better
    Same with mascara. I prefer brown mascara as it's more natural

• I naturally have dark complexion and dark features so Black is best for me. I like to use dark brown eyeliner pencil at times though.

• I'm pretty clueless when it comes to makeup. I feel like anyone who can transform someone with makeup is an artist.

• A pop of color is always nice for the eyes but some tell me it's too much. Humbug!

• It is really hard to match eye shadow each day with different outfits :)

• At the end of the day, I’m gonna put what I want on my face and anyone who doesn’t like it can kiss my ass.

• I agree with these opinions! When it comes to makeup, I don't really care, I just want it to be fun! :)

• Oi, for point number 2, you should watch this video: https://youtu.be/kQk6ISXnNro

• My face is not an orange xD

• No it’s used to demonstrate that of the same texture as skin. The dents in the orange are presented as pores just like in your skin, and shows the drastic change.

• I don't care if it works on an orange. All I need is for it to work on me. Plus there is also a question of how long it lasts.

• Wow.. I don't understand makeup at all. Some of the terminology went right over my damn head😂

• omg I have always wanted hooded eyes!! They look so gorgeous with makeup and all mysterious😍

• I'm pretty sure Bellucci doesn't have hooded eyes but a classic almond shape..

• I don’t wear makeup I don’t feel like myself and I feel extremely insecure. An added bonus is what you see is what you get.

• 'what you see is what you get'

I find that extremely degrading and objectifying.

• Yaa makeup was invented originally to hide ones flaws. Overdoing it is completely a no no.

• Not exactly. Some of them were more meant to enhance youthfulness and fertility. Some had medicinal/spiritual purposes as well, and some others have a religious symbol too.

• Nice take

• Nice Take

• I totally agree with u

• Good take

• Nice

• Cool tips I like them