Why are gorgeous/handsome people rare/rarer than average?

I've asked this question earlier, but hasn't got so many serious answers. People do have different taste and have different opinions on what's good looking. But a thing most of us have in common is we doesn't find everybody good looking. The majority of humans aren't good looking for me, but just average or less. If I saw thousand people, I may only find one to three good looking and rest average. Handsome guys are even rarer than pretty or cute women for me. I've always wondered why gorgeous/handsome people isn't as common as average people.
Why are gorgeous/handsome people rare/rarer than average?#beauty #averagepeople #discussion
Why are gorgeous/handsome people rare/rarer than average?If you sees a crowd of several people, you would probably not find everybody good looking regardless of taste.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• because average means the majority. if beautiful was average then the whole scope would change... know what i mean?

if the average person makes $30k. then the majority of people make that amount and those who are rich and poor are in the minority. if the average person made $300k then it would totally change the balance and what is defined as rich and poor.

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• because beauty lies in the eyes of beholder and some people are more genetically blessed than others

0|1
    0|0
  • I think that this is somewhat determined by puberty, and the rate that the person goes through it. I see that you're 19, and generally around our age people still aren't done developing. Their noses are a little too big, or their cheeks are still a little chubby, making them appear awkward rather than gorgeous or handsome.

Also, take into account where you live. If you're in a smaller town, or maybe a less-inhabited state, the gene-pool is not as wide as it would be in a bigger town, or more inhabited state. You see, I used to live in Florida where there were a lot of attractive people, and then moved to Kansas where the hottest guys at my school would be considered average if they lived in Florida. Florida is more diverse than Kansas, and I think this might play a major role in the level of attractiveness of people.

0|1
    1|0
    • Regarding the fact that pretty girls are more common than pretty guys, girls wear makeup, which is basically a second skin. Any girl that is half decent at applying makeup can go from a 4 to an 8.

• I live in Norway in Norway's second biggest city. Now I lives in a area where it's fewer people. But I knows it's more diversity in certain parts. Especially in these area there is many immigrants. Anyway, in Norway it's only 5 000 000 people in total. So Norway have a low population and diversity compared to the US. There are many benefits with that like easier to give justice to the people and to run a welfare system. But the disadvantage is when it comes to dating.

• I think it also depends on our mood. Sometimes i find more people attractive and sometimes just nobody.

It's normal, if everyone looked awesome it wouldn't be fun.

Why are they rare? Cause they look different than other people and it makes them unique. It's not something you see daily.

From the last i do find the girl in maroon dress quite bit cute. But makeup can do everything. She's not awesome but she's cool. 👌

1|1
    0|0
  • I think we chose what make someone handsome / gorgeous by the rarest things. Like in Korea they like the V shape but majority of people hadn't it and have a round face. It's the same for the skin, Asian prefer White skin even if they live in a sunny country (Thailand, Vietnam, etc..) and In Europe / America tan skin is preferred even though we're generally pale.

I think they just chose the people with rare feature cause it look cool or something like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have to say that it depends on your definition of gorgeous/handsome. People have different taste.
    So what's beautiful to you, might be ugly to other people and vice versa.
    There's good looking people everywhere, you just have to pay attention to them.

0|0
    0|0
    • I thinks people (This is celebs I mention) like this are gorgeous/handsome: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Emma Watson, Emilia Clarke, Nathalie Emmanuel, Aidan Turner, Orlando Bloom, Chris Hemsworth and Liam Hemsworth.

• Show All
    • Yea, but it's still not many of them.

• I see. But I'm sure you'll find them.

• More from Girls

What Guys Said 15

• Every single person who is born has gene mutations, and we also have dominant and recessive genes, and so the combination of our parents' DNA and which dominant genes we end up with are what is responsible for the way we look.

Again, the combinations are astronomical, and then there are the gene mutations on top of that.

0|1
    0|0
  • It makes sense that any extreme in anything will always be the rare event, with the majority being clustered around the average. The fittest, strongest, fastest, most attractive... and the completely sedentary, weak as a kitten, slow as a snail and hideously ugly... they are the extreme ends of the spectrum and everyone else is somewhere in between.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definationally. Average means approx half of the population in question is better and half worse than it. So if you look at 'commonness of beauty' then those who are above average are going to occur less than average...

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause if it became the norm, then everybody would be average. I think better looking people simply have better health..

0|1
    0|0
  • If there were more good looking people, then good looking people would be considered average

1|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes