Do You Think It’s Unhealthy To Get Plastic Surgery Because You Want To Look Like Another Person?

Is it unhealthy to get plastic surgery to look like someone else?
Is it unhealthy to get plastic surgery to look like someone else?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I think plastic surgery outside of reconstructive surgery is ridiculous. There are far better things people could devote time and money too, but instead Americans alone spent 16 billion dollars on cosmetic surgery in 2016 alone.
    www.plasticsurgery.org/.../more-than-16-billion-spent-on-cosmetic-plastic-surgery
    Think of all the lives that could be saved with 16 billion dollars, think of what could be done for the environment. How much food could that provide? Or clean water? Or life saving surgery?
    An average chemotherapy treatment costs 30,000 dollars in total. Meaning with the money spent on cosmetic surgery in 2016 you could pay for 533,333 chemotherapy treatments. Or 16,000 heart transplants, or 40,000 kidney transplants, or 26,666,666 sets of childhood vaccines. These are only a few of the thousands of better uses 16 billion dollars could be put to use for, and that’s only the money spent on cosmetic surgery in America. People always say ohhh I’d love to help out with this or that, or someone should do something about this or that. Well imagine if everyone who was spending thousands of dollars on plastic surgery a year put that money to better use. Like feeding starving children, or providing clean water to those who don’t have access to it, or investing in renewable energy, or cleaning up the garbage that humans are throwing into the ocean, or literally anything else of consequential value. Think about what could be accomplished then.

0|0
    0|0
    • People, including myself I will admit, are too self absorbed and into themselves to do those things. We want the procedures in the hopes we will feel better about our miserable selves, and we will like who we are, we want self love and self acceptance and that’s why we get these surgeries, as vain as that may sound

• Fixing a disfigurement is a little different from a vanity surgery, for instance I think cons metic surgery to fix a cleft lip of palette is totally fine. I would say the same about the scar you mentioned from your tracheotomy. Those are understandable, that’s a corrective surgery not a vanity surgery. What upsets me are the boobjobs and facelifts and lip fillers and all the other unnecessary things people do because they can’t be satisfied with themselves as they are. So you have a mole on your cheek, who cares? Oh your boobs aren’t as big as you’d like them to be, who cares? Oh do you think your nose is too big? Deal with it. There are plenty of people with real disfigurements who have to live the rest of their lives that way.
      Also I’d like to clarify I’m not stalking your posts, I just saw you tell one of the other people on this thread about your scar. And sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I have trouble with that sometimes.

• Yeah because I have the scar, and don’t know if I can get surgery for it yet, cause I don’t know if I can go under general anesthesia, I need to see a doctor about that, I want to get one other flaw fixed instead, my nose. It may sound vain to you but I dont feel it is

• Hmmm. I suppose there are circumstances where it would make perfect sense. Someone having to go FAR undercover, perhaps... someone having to replace someone, maybe.

If they KNEW they would make more money than the surgery cost, and they weren't going overboard... I could understand certain impersonators doing it, if it was going to make a good income. It wouldn't be unhealthy.

I think trying to enhance a look isn't a problem. I've done haircuts and minor stuff like that because I know it's looked good on a celeb that people tell me I look like. I try to wear stuff that other celebs in my body type would look good. Not so much to look like them, but because I know it works for them, and if we happen to look alike, it might just work for me. Not an issue.

If someone is just doing it to resemble a celebrity that they look nothing like, then it's a bigger issue. If they're going into debt, or obsessive about getting surgery to drastically change their look, it's a problem.

0|0
    0|0
    • What about getting a hump on their nose removed?

• Show All
    • The nose hump. Well, it's up to you, but I know a GIRL who rocks it. I think it would seem weird to me if I didn;t see her for a month or two, and she didn't have it. For me, she's cute with the nose bump. It gives her "personality." I think it's endearing. Now, granted, that's me as a guy, but I would think some women would think a guy with that was attractive. But, if you're that freaked out by it, and you have the money, and you think it will help you... your choice...

"Wabi Sabi, man. Wabi Sabi." https://youtu.be/C16BE6SakWs

• Lol wabi sabi. Yeah I’m pretty freaked

Most Helpful Girls

• I think its unhealthy to get plastic surgery unless its to correct a real health problem.
    Getting surgery to look like a celebrity screams low self esteem and possible mental health issues.
    I have problems with my skin, i have chemical peels. That was recommended by my dermatologist who told me i also had sun damage. Now i wear the proper skin care to prevent further damage. Other than thst whenever i look in the mirror i see parts of my mum, and parts of my father. I was made from love. Thats special and unique. The best part is im an only child so i truly am one of a kind. Looking more like someone else prevents you and others really getting to know who you are and what makes you special. It really hurts me that this is what we have become. The more educated and more advanced technology gets the more humans find ways to self loathe and feel inadequate. I am not a product of always feeling loved, i had a rough childhood but i learnt to love myself. And i embrace thst i have aspects of both parents good and bad but i get to choose who I am without surgically removing it or adding to. 9/10 most people that have this type of surgery live to regret it

0|1
    0|0
    • What if you don’t want to become someone else but just look more like an earlier version of yourself? I had a straight nose in my childhood but as I got older I got a dorsal hump, if I changed it back to what it was, and only used my childhood pics, then it wouldn’t really be lying. But I agree anything else is lying because it isn’t actually you, implants are fake

• Show All
    • You are such a kind, caring, good spirited person. I mean it. I really wish the best for you and those like you. I greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your life to give consideration towards my problem. Now I don’t know if I still am not going to get an operation, I’m going to look into it, but what you’ve told me will stick and I’ll be sure to give it the most thought and not take it lightly. Thanks. Have a good rest of your day

• Aww, i wasn't expecting that. Thank you. And good luck 🤗

• of course. it's a mental problem. you are not happy with yourself and you want what the other has so you do what it takes to be them hoping you'd be famous or beautiful like them

5|4
    0|0
    • It's not a mental problem, wtf, if someone has an insecurity or a flaw why can't they fix it? We have the technology and it would be done with the persons own bone, so why not? The only surgery i condemn is that where its not you

• Show All
    • By all means do, I was just being anal as to you said "Where it's not you" Sorry.

• @EclipseoftheHeart

It’s fine, I just wish people would understand where I’m coming from

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yes because you'll never look like that person.

1|2
    0|0
    • I don't want to repeat myself but it's nothing to do with looking at somebody else my daughter had some work done last year it was nothing to do with looking somewhere else it's about what she considered to be something she didn't want just had to work now and she's become a very confident lady there so much sun she's gone to Australia for a couple of years just backpacking and working but she has got confidence I'm hoping so when she comes back and if she comes back power cracker to meet someone nice and settle down I don't think she's ready for that now I think she's up for a good time

• That wasn't the question though.

• I want to get my nose bridge straightened like it was when I was a kid, is that so bad? I don’t want to look like someone else entirely, I just want to look more handsome as a man

• Absolutely. Mutilating yourself surgically is never a good idea unless you have some serious defect. it's a mental issue really. vanity is an illness.

2|5
    0|0
    • Not really, i feel subhuman and unattractive because I have a bump on my nose and it's not straight.

• Show All
    • plastic surgery won't give you that. if it's just a feeling you're after you need to work on your mind not your face. your face is already a work of art you just refuse to see it that way

• I don’t see it that way, you’re right, I have the desire to be head turning level aesthetic

• Yeah this is an epidemic now. Majority of young clients of plastic surgeon show pictures of other women and say that they wanna like like that woman. Girls don't want to look like themselves anymore because they are convinced that they aren't good enough on their own and they need some Kylie Jenner level glow up to be appreciated or validated.

But can you really blame them? Look at the Kardashians being famous for sex tape and plastic surgery. Look at their followers, their influence on women. Look at their wealth, Kim is a millionaire and Kylie is a billionaire. They literally get everything that we humans naturally desire: admiration, fame, attention, money, followers, and of course, good looks.

Even I didn't want to look like myself once. I hated everything about my face, hair, body, skin, everything. I was in a relationship with a guy who made me feel terrible about my looks and compared me with other girls. I actually wanted to look like those pretty girls that draw everyone's attention, and thought that, maybe he wouldn't leave me if I looked like her. It is a struggle. I cried when I looked at myself because I hated looking like that, I cried when I saw other girls cause I didn't look even half as fabulous as them.

I'm not that much extreme now but if I say that I am totally comfortable in my appearance or I have no insecurity or I feel like I'm enough the way I am, that would be a huge lie. I still feel like I'm supposed to spend hours on my appearance only as if I don't have school.

The pressure on women to look like some model or fitness lady or whatever is insane. People forget that modelling or whatever it is, it's not our occupation.

0|1
    0|0
    • It’s just as bad for me. I want to have perfect looks. I want a perfect straight nose. Hump nose looks bad on me, especially because I had a different nose as a kid, it was straight and normal. But then got a hump. I feel very jealous of other people with normal noses. How do you deal with your insecurity?

• I just let myself know that insecurities are normal and there is nothing wrong with the way I look more l now.

• I think the worst part is all the money they pump into plastic surgery in order to "Pump" themselves up. The living Barbie Girls are one example. They may look good now but who knows how long it will last. Some women who try to stay young with plastic surgery wind up looking freaky.

0|1
    0|0
    • Sometimes plastic surgery is warranted if the person wants to look more normal or like a more improved version of themselves, and they will gain confidence

• Extremely. You aren't that person, you're you. I don't care if people get plastic surgery because they want to "fix" something they don't like (it's probably not that bad but if they get that surgery isn't my call) but doing it to look like a specific person is going to just take you down a bad path because it's never really gonna be enough

0|2
    0|0
    • ok well I have a desire to feel beautiful

• You can look nice without wasting all your energy on being a carbon copy of someone else.

• Still gonna get ny bridge straightened

• Yeah. It's really creepy. People get surgeries to correct things that make them insecure and when it's done sensibly and not excessively that can be healthy. Going to someone to make them turn you into a clone of someone else is freaky. I'd be disgusted if someone did that to me. It shows there's definitely something off.

0|2
    0|0
    • Yeah I just want my nose bridge straightened, because it has a hump, but when I was a kid it was straight, and looking at pics I liked the way that looked, so yeah...

• But I definitely don't want to become someone else

• That's repulsive

• I'd say it's mentally unhealthy yeah, because if the results aren't a perfect match then the person is likely to be disappointed etc. etc.

Not sure why materialism and self-obsession are such a big part of society now anyway!

1|0
    0|0
    • There are a few celebrities I wouldn't mind looking like

• Show All
    • That's slightly different, still not something I agree with but it's your choice at the end of the day!

• I'll explain. My nose got a dorsal hump when like 13 or 14 but before it was a straight bridge, so I'd like the hump removed

• First you can't be same as the one you want to look like even with the million surgeries, second, you lose your identity... Who are you then? Just a copy... Not an unique individual...

2|2
    0|0
  • Not to look like somebody else but definitely to fix your flaws. If you have say, a big nose or ears that stick out why not get surgery to fix it? Stop dwelling over your flaws if there are procedures than can fix it.

0|2
    1|2
    • Exactly, why the hell don't people understand this? We have the technology available for years like wtf, why is there such a stigma around it? Yet people can put on makeup and do all these filters but that's ok.

• Show All
    • That’s how my nose used to look, I’m so jealous

• @laurenok
      Maybe they like their big nose.

• Yes I do think its unhealthy to physically try to change your own body to look like someone else. I can see doing plastic surgery to improve some little insecurity you have like "awkward boobs" or a "bad nose" but only do it for yourself because quite honestly most people dont notice our imperfections

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Accepting your flaws is what makes us human. But I would also argue that being honest about getting plastic surgery is it's own form of accepting a flaw in your own character.

I would still suggest that anyone who gets a nose Job , botox injection, or skin removal... Be aware that people will not notice you looking "better" they'll notice you looking "different."

1|0
    0|0
    • Why notice me looking different? I got a hump on my nose bridge when I was like 14 but before it was straight. Looking back at my childhood pics, I liked a straight nose better, I think it went better. I want to change that, and technically I wouldn't be adding anything different, cause I already had it

• Show All
    • And that's where you need to consider your priorities.

• No, I hate my nose the way it is, I want a normal nice looking straight swoop down bridge... if I have the money and find a qualified good trustworthy surgeon, what's the issue? My nose right now causes me extreme low self image

• Very... in fact (stupid, and fucking annoying) oops, just honesty. people really dont seem to understand the dept of the meaning “unique” there really is no one else like ourselves out there in the world.

0|1
    0|0
    • I don’t care, I’m still getting a straight bridge nose job so my nose can look how it did when I was a kid. I have to be a 10/10 perfect superhuman

• Show All
    • Whatever floats ur new nose kid.

• Did you see my pics?

• depends on how radical the surgery is.

if it is a minor thing, no.

if it is a remake to make you look like barbie, then Yes.

0|2
    0|0
  • No. I think it's unhealthy to want to be another person.

0|2
    0|0
    • There are some male models I wouldn't mind looking more like

• I don't think it's unhealthy tbh I think it's good that they're inspiring to be like someone and shouldn't be looked down on for it.

0|1
    0|0
  • That shouldn't even be a question. That should be a mental illness.

0|1
    0|0
    • Lol nose job is not mental illness

• Show All
    • Yes, I do. And others who don't like it can screw it. Because I have people who love me for me and I don't care what others think.

• That attitude is kinda attractive ngl

• You can admire a change and correct some other change too, so i guess there's nothing wrong in getting one

0|1
    1|0
  • It is the most stupid thing a person can do, not to mention being dellusional or live in a fantasy world or something.

0|3
    0|0
    • Why do people look like birds? I’m starting to notice people look like birds

• Show All
    • I dont look like a bird

• Yes you do, all people do

• Yes. I feel its unhealthy to try to look like someone else not to mention creepy to the person you're trying to look like.

0|1
    1|0
    • What if the person is a younger you? I used to have a straight nose and looking at my childhood pics that looked much more normal, but then I got a dorsal hump, what if I corrected my nose so it looked exactly like how it was?

• Show All
    • Yeah I agree, not to make fun of her, but her eyes look like big sunflowers. Unique actually

• I wouldn't call it unique making everything look like Kim. I'm not gonna deny she's beautiful. But I'm willing to bet she was more beautiful looking like herself.

• Yes. Everyone has insecurities. But you have to accept the skin that you’re in and if you want, transform into a better YOU. Not someone else.

0|1
    0|0
    • WELL that’s why I want to get a nose job. I don’t like the hump that formed and I want to remove it, I didn’t have it as a kid

• Yes. But don’t ALL people get plastic surgery to look like someone else, even if it’s just to fit into ‘what is normal’... 🤔

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, I know I want that, what do you think normal is?

• Show All
    • If it is going to make you feel better. Then there is no better reason. Just don’t do it just to ‘look normal’ like everyone else. Good luck 😉

• That’s what i said lol

• Definitely, especially if it’s Kim Kardashian lmao woman looks like a cartoon

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't want to look like another person but I do want to feel good about myself if I had plastic surgery

0|1
    0|0
    • Exactly, that’s how I feel, not another person but a more improved or nicer version of yourself, one that you like

• @unknowngagsuser If your profile pic is anything to go by you don’t need surgery to look good. Your gorgeous as is.

• It's not about looking like a person it's changing what you consider to be your fault with you it's about again is selfish self esteem and confidence last year I paid for my daughter so how breast implants and she's been happy as ever

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah exactly, you don’t think it’s selfish? I just want the bridge of my nose made straight and swoop down because it was straight as a kid

• I say good luck to you if you feel every time you wake up in the morning looking in the mirror and you don't feel confident you have something that you're very conscious of get it done he will feel better about yourself and I say good things surely I wish you all that and I would say go for it I want an S8 actually I've got a big nose but that's the way it is

• An s8? And thanks I appreciate it. Yeah I don’t really think it’s changing who I am because I looked like that before. You really got your daughter implants?

• @AJC997 I'm not perfect by any means but I fully embrace myself and think it's weak and pathetic to whine over the internet about things I wish to change. I'd rather live a non superficial life and accept myself as I am.

0|0
    0|0
    • I understand, I guess I just have other defects I can’t change like the noticeable surgery scar on my neck, my quiet voice due to damaged vocal chords, my height which is about 5’6 due to being born early, and I’d like to fix my other flaws I don’t like if I am able

• Plastic surgery or no plastic surgery, Kim Kardashian is hot and if my dick was big, I'd cross her giant ass right into... lol!

0|0
    1|0
  • i think that's really shallow. if there is something severely wrong with someones face and it's hard for them to appear in public then they could consider surgery but if they just want to look like someone else or even just get a simple operation done on their face then their problem is psychological rather than physical

0|0
    0|0
    • Um I just want a simple operation. As a kid my nose bridge was straight but got a hump as I aged cause I’m half Jewish, so I want to get the hump removed and make it straight and look like it used to be

• Show All
    • That’s weird, yikes, I definitely don’t want to look like a whole new person, I’m going to look into that

• yeah that's smart

• Why would you get a surgery to look like someone who doesn’t even look like themselves?

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course it is; and it can backfire horribly. Safer and wiser to just be you and true to yourself.

0|1
    0|0
    • But also if you have an insecurity like a bump nose, it's ok to change it

• Yes. Is very unhealthy. Unless there's a serious defect, there is no good reason to undergo surgery like that.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hump on nose bridge?

• Show All
    • Why are you so worried, dude? You're a good looking guy.

• I don’t think so. What my bio pic?

• isn't it like putting on makeup? I know its permanent, but they are basically the same goal, change the way you look. Plus with the amount of money people spend on makeup, surgery might be cheaper for some them.

0|0
    0|0
    • Uh no, it's not necessarily. I had a straight nose bridge as a kid, but it got a hump as I grew up, and now I really want to get it turned back since the technology is available, and I will look normal.

• Oh. To me thats perfectly fine👌.
      I thought you were referring to changing your total appearance.

• No, just an insecurity

• Yep. I would classify those people as completely koo-koo. Also those people who want to look like Ken and Barbie so they get "extra" ribs removed so they can be skinny enough.

0|0
    0|0
    • Why? Some of us just don’t feel good in our own skin

• Show All
    • And that can be achieved without surgery

• How? Please genuinely tell me

• What are you planning to kill them in the middle of the night and try to take over their life?

0|0
    0|0
  • No it's not healthy, there is billions of us and we are all different why be like some other fake person lol

0|0
    0|0
    • I want to look more like a younger version of myself, is that bad? I would even use my own pictures to fix my nose bridge

• Show All
    • Good job to you man, and I like your username

• I’d be happy to read a take by you about it

• I think that celebrity and whoever is imitating them are trying to reach the same goal of that idolized idealistic face/body/beauty

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes they are, that's exactly why, and I think it's understandable

• Show All
    • Live and let live i say

• Yeah I agree

• It's sinful because you are idolizing another person besides the Lord Jesus Christ.

0|0
    1|0
  • That’s creepy

0|2
    0|0
    • What? the picture?

• Yes she looks like a doll version of that woman

• Her eyes are frightening, legit horrifying, they look like freaky sunflowers, while that other lady is just naturally good looking

• Yes that is unhealthy and crazy. Imagen someone operate them self to look like you? There is only one of you, be you.

0|0
    0|0
  • To be fair, even Kim K got surgery to look like Kim K. So I get it hahaha

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely.
    It's a mental problem that person suffer from.

0|0
    0|0
    • But is just getting plastic surgery cause you want to look like a better version of yourself ok?

• To many tries to convince themselves with that.

Ask yourself why you really need to alter yourself.
      The main reason is insecurity of some sort that they doesn't accept themselves for whom they are. if it because of what other's something or some delusion in their heads how they perceive themselves. doesn't really matter, It's a mental problem.

• Yes. Get therapy, instead. Much cheaper and will likely fix whatever malfunction in their mind.

0|0
    0|0
    • No it won’t, trust me, I have a dorsal hump nose bridge, and I feel horrible and ugly. This is because all my other features are good except my nose. As a kid, my nose was normal and I think when it got a hump it ruined the harmony, so I want the hump removed, and I want it to look like how it used to

• Therapy won’t fix anything

• It's more than unhealthy. Both physically and mentally.

0|0
    0|0
    • Still I want to change my nose to what it once was.

• If you have enough money you can do whatever you want

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah but too much plastic surgery is definitely bad, a little light work while still being you, is fine in my opinion, but too much and you look fake and artificial

• I think it's foolish.

It's like when I used to think that a logo or brand name could be inherently cool. It's not the appearance, it's what the appearance represents.

You can call your football team the Steelers, but that doesn't make it at all comprable to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In the same token, I could get plastic surgery to look like Robert Downey jr., but that won't give me his Charisma or confidence. That makes the whole operation useless because that's what makes Downey attractive: who he is and how he conducts himself, not how the visible light spectrum reflects off of him.

0|0
    0|0
    • But what if you want to get surgery to look like an old version of yourself? I had a straight nose bridge as a kid but developed a hump in my teens- what if I want to change it back?

• Your appearance is so useless compared to your physical and mental capability. Your persona is so much more. Don't worry about it.

• Physical capability? Lol I’m 5 foot 6 105 pounds. I have to improve my looks in order to make up for these

• Uh, yeah. Might as well be that guy who wanted to look like a cat.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's dumb. I'm not going to elaborate too much on this. However, I also think plastic surgery is dumb also. I see women on social media sporting:

-Fake abs
    -Fake breasts
    -Fake butt
    -Fake faces

All for what? Just to get a million likes on Instagram? Also, I think that maybe 20 or so years from now... maybe longer... maybe shorter... who knows... maybe there will be restrictions on plastic surgery.

I have heard stories of women who get plastic surgery and years later the plastic in their body starts getting rejected by the body and has adverse affects on the individual. Seriously... having a foreign object like that inside of you can't be 100% safe.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's sad, scary... and an addiction.

1|2
    0|0
    • Yeah it can go too far. By the way, what is your bio pic? I like it

• Show All
    • What the hell? That's amazing. I would buy that. That's so cool.

• Aww, thanks. I appreciate that :)

• Yeah. You’d have to have a mental illness.

1|3
    0|0
    • But if you just want to get an insecurity fixed, like a hump on your nose removed, is that ok?

• Absolutely! Be yourself.

0|1
    0|0
    • And personally I think it should be illegal because you are copying the looks of another person. I don’t want anyone wanting to look like me.

• No, I want a nose job. But yeah copying people should be illegal

• Yes. It's crazy.

0|1
    0|0
    • Not always, if one wants to get surgery to feel more content with themselves then it’s not, to fix a flaw or something they don’t prefer

• Show All
    • You’re a very good person, I wish you the absolute best, sincerely. Thank you for at least trying, I appreciate it

• Thanks and I wish the same for you as well. Please, don't hesistate to hmu if u ever need someone to talk to. I hope you have a wonderful day🤗🤗🤗

Show More

Recommended myTakes