Do You Think It’s Unhealthy To Get Plastic Surgery Because You Want To Look Like Another Person?

Is it unhealthy to get plastic surgery to look like someone else?

4439

Most Helpful Guys

• I think plastic surgery outside of reconstructive surgery is ridiculous. There are far better things people could devote time and money too, but instead Americans alone spent 16 billion dollars on cosmetic surgery in 2016 alone.
    www.plasticsurgery.org/.../more-than-16-billion-spent-on-cosmetic-plastic-surgery
    Think of all the lives that could be saved with 16 billion dollars, think of what could be done for the environment. How much food could that provide? Or clean water? Or life saving surgery?
    An average chemotherapy treatment costs 30,000 dollars in total. Meaning with the money spent on cosmetic surgery in 2016 you could pay for 533,333 chemotherapy treatments. Or 16,000 heart transplants, or 40,000 kidney transplants, or 26,666,666 sets of childhood vaccines. These are only a few of the thousands of better uses 16 billion dollars could be put to use for, and that’s only the money spent on cosmetic surgery in America. People always say ohhh I’d love to help out with this or that, or someone should do something about this or that. Well imagine if everyone who was spending thousands of dollars on plastic surgery a year put that money to better use. Like feeding starving children, or providing clean water to those who don’t have access to it, or investing in renewable energy, or cleaning up the garbage that humans are throwing into the ocean, or literally anything else of consequential value. Think about what could be accomplished then.

• People, including myself I will admit, are too self absorbed and into themselves to do those things. We want the procedures in the hopes we will feel better about our miserable selves, and we will like who we are, we want self love and self acceptance and that’s why we get these surgeries, as vain as that may sound

• Fixing a disfigurement is a little different from a vanity surgery, for instance I think cons metic surgery to fix a cleft lip of palette is totally fine. I would say the same about the scar you mentioned from your tracheotomy. Those are understandable, that’s a corrective surgery not a vanity surgery. What upsets me are the boobjobs and facelifts and lip fillers and all the other unnecessary things people do because they can’t be satisfied with themselves as they are. So you have a mole on your cheek, who cares? Oh your boobs aren’t as big as you’d like them to be, who cares? Oh do you think your nose is too big? Deal with it. There are plenty of people with real disfigurements who have to live the rest of their lives that way.
      Also I’d like to clarify I’m not stalking your posts, I just saw you tell one of the other people on this thread about your scar. And sorry if I sound a bit harsh, I have trouble with that sometimes.

• Yeah because I have the scar, and don’t know if I can get surgery for it yet, cause I don’t know if I can go under general anesthesia, I need to see a doctor about that, I want to get one other flaw fixed instead, my nose. It may sound vain to you but I dont feel it is

• Hmmm. I suppose there are circumstances where it would make perfect sense. Someone having to go FAR undercover, perhaps... someone having to replace someone, maybe.

If they KNEW they would make more money than the surgery cost, and they weren't going overboard... I could understand certain impersonators doing it, if it was going to make a good income. It wouldn't be unhealthy.

I think trying to enhance a look isn't a problem. I've done haircuts and minor stuff like that because I know it's looked good on a celeb that people tell me I look like. I try to wear stuff that other celebs in my body type would look good. Not so much to look like them, but because I know it works for them, and if we happen to look alike, it might just work for me. Not an issue.

If someone is just doing it to resemble a celebrity that they look nothing like, then it's a bigger issue. If they're going into debt, or obsessive about getting surgery to drastically change their look, it's a problem.

• What about getting a hump on their nose removed?

• The nose hump. Well, it's up to you, but I know a GIRL who rocks it. I think it would seem weird to me if I didn;t see her for a month or two, and she didn't have it. For me, she's cute with the nose bump. It gives her "personality." I think it's endearing. Now, granted, that's me as a guy, but I would think some women would think a guy with that was attractive. But, if you're that freaked out by it, and you have the money, and you think it will help you... your choice...

"Wabi Sabi, man. Wabi Sabi." https://youtu.be/C16BE6SakWs

• Lol wabi sabi. Yeah I’m pretty freaked

Most Helpful Girls

• I think its unhealthy to get plastic surgery unless its to correct a real health problem.
    Getting surgery to look like a celebrity screams low self esteem and possible mental health issues.
    I have problems with my skin, i have chemical peels. That was recommended by my dermatologist who told me i also had sun damage. Now i wear the proper skin care to prevent further damage. Other than thst whenever i look in the mirror i see parts of my mum, and parts of my father. I was made from love. Thats special and unique. The best part is im an only child so i truly am one of a kind. Looking more like someone else prevents you and others really getting to know who you are and what makes you special. It really hurts me that this is what we have become. The more educated and more advanced technology gets the more humans find ways to self loathe and feel inadequate. I am not a product of always feeling loved, i had a rough childhood but i learnt to love myself. And i embrace thst i have aspects of both parents good and bad but i get to choose who I am without surgically removing it or adding to. 9/10 most people that have this type of surgery live to regret it

• What if you don’t want to become someone else but just look more like an earlier version of yourself? I had a straight nose in my childhood but as I got older I got a dorsal hump, if I changed it back to what it was, and only used my childhood pics, then it wouldn’t really be lying. But I agree anything else is lying because it isn’t actually you, implants are fake

• You are such a kind, caring, good spirited person. I mean it. I really wish the best for you and those like you. I greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your life to give consideration towards my problem. Now I don’t know if I still am not going to get an operation, I’m going to look into it, but what you’ve told me will stick and I’ll be sure to give it the most thought and not take it lightly. Thanks. Have a good rest of your day

• Aww, i wasn't expecting that. Thank you. And good luck 🤗

• of course. it's a mental problem. you are not happy with yourself and you want what the other has so you do what it takes to be them hoping you'd be famous or beautiful like them

• It's not a mental problem, wtf, if someone has an insecurity or a flaw why can't they fix it? We have the technology and it would be done with the persons own bone, so why not? The only surgery i condemn is that where its not you

• By all means do, I was just being anal as to you said "Where it's not you" Sorry.

• @EclipseoftheHeart

It’s fine, I just wish people would understand where I’m coming from