For those in the U. S., Should the legal Drinking Age be reduced from 21 to 18?

For those in the U.S., Should the legal Drinking Age be reduced from 21 to 18?All 50 US states have set their minimum drinking age to 21 although exceptions do exist on a state-by-state basis for consumption at home, under adult supervision, for medical necessity, and other reasons. (Although most states have kept it at 21 to get federal transportation funds since 1984.)

-Proponents of lowering the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) from 21 argue that it has not stopped teen drinking, and has instead pushed underage binge drinking into private and less controlled environments, leading to more health and life-endangering behavior by teens.

-Opponents of lowering the MLDA argue that teens have not yet reached an age where they can handle alcohol responsibly, and thus are more likely to harm or even kill themselves and others by drinking prior to 21. They contend that traffic fatalities decreased when the MLDA increased.

What's your opinion?
  • Keep it at 21
  • Lower it to 18
  • Undecided
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D

1823

Most Helpful Girl

• For those serving in our armed forces, yes. For those normal teens, no.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can die for your country at 18 but you can't drink. I don't care for alcohol that much but I think they should allow it, they do it anyway.