For those in the U. S., Should the legal Drinking Age be reduced from 21 to 18?

For those in the U.S., Should the legal Drinking Age be reduced from 21 to 18?All 50 US states have set their minimum drinking age to 21 although exceptions do exist on a state-by-state basis for consumption at home, under adult supervision, for medical necessity, and other reasons. (Although most states have kept it at 21 to get federal transportation funds since 1984.)

-Proponents of lowering the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) from 21 argue that it has not stopped teen drinking, and has instead pushed underage binge drinking into private and less controlled environments, leading to more health and life-endangering behavior by teens.

-Opponents of lowering the MLDA argue that teens have not yet reached an age where they can handle alcohol responsibly, and thus are more likely to harm or even kill themselves and others by drinking prior to 21. They contend that traffic fatalities decreased when the MLDA increased.

What's your opinion?
  • Keep it at 21
    Vote A
  • Lower it to 18
    Vote B
  • Undecided
    Vote C
  • Results
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• For those serving in our armed forces, yes. For those normal teens, no.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You can die for your country at 18 but you can't drink. I don't care for alcohol that much but I think they should allow it, they do it anyway.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 17

• Alcohol can damage your brain development until your early 20s. So I definitely wouldn’t encourage anyone younger than 21 to drink very much. However, it’s often the underage drinkers who are drinking irresponsibly and getting blackout drunk, and that’s what really hurts people. I think what we really need to do is teach people to drink responsibly and eliminate the “forbidden fruit” aspect of alcohol for minors. People are often safer and more responsible drinkers if they are allowed to ease into it at a younger age with adult supervision. I think the drinking age could be lowered to something like 16 if you are with an adult over 30 who is serving you and controlling how much you consume, and ensuring that you are drinking only very conservative amounts. The idea is for them to try alcohol but consume a quantity that could harm them. Any adult who wants to supervise a drinker under 21 would need to take a test and acquire a permit, to ensure that they understand what’s best for the minor’s health. You should not be allowed to purchase alcohol or drink independently until you are 21.

1|1
    0|0
  • In Sweden we have a really controlled alchohol market. You can't buy alchohol anywhere, only in a store that's controlled by the government. The legal age to buy anything from there is 20 but the legal drinking age is 18 so you could go to clubs, bars and drink alkohol whenever and since it's really expensive it gets controlled because well.. kids are broke😂 by the time you reach 20 you know your limits. That is a good system according to me.. even tho it sucks sometimes

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm Swedish also. I really like the government stores, since the selection is WAY better than any private store would possibly have, and high price wine is sold cheap compared to other countries. The 20 year age limit is also something I think is more reasonable than 18. The 18-year limit in bars is, just as you said, working because 18-year olds doesn't usually have enough money to drink that much, at least not that often.

• Exactly! Thats why I also like the system although I can't shop at systembolaget yet 😂 when i had just turned 18 I understood just how good the system is

• I would lower it to 18, because I don't think it's a good idea to make college kids drink in secret. What happens in college is if someone drinks too much, nobody wants to get help for them because they could get in trouble. Also if you're drinking legally at a bar, the bartender will cut you off once you've had too much, your friend who's 19 probably won't do that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think the age restriction stops underage drinking now, lowering it to 18 would only make it that little bit more accessible. I mean they can drive at 16, smoke at 18 and also serve there country, why not be allowed a beer after that?

0|1
    0|0
  • Everyone already drinks before 21- even 16 year olds. No matter what, there will always be underage drinkers. I don't think that the age restriction should be lowered, but it won't really matter- people who want to drink will drink.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I'm old enough to join the military and give my life for this country, then I should be old enough to drink.

1|1
    0|1
  • I say keep at 21. We can't have people who barely got their license and can't really drive adding alcohol to that. It'll be worse than it is now.

0|1
    0|0
  • The legal age in Ca, I don’t know if it’s a federal law, is now 21. It wouldn’t make sense to allow drinking at 18 and smoking at 18.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think 21 is too extreme. People should be allowed to drink in college.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. But there should be a alcohol behavior license.

0|1
    0|0
  • So does that mean you’d be cool with lowering the age of recreational marijuana to 18 as well?

0|1
    0|0
  • Make it even higher I say. People who shouldn’t drink still find ways to drink.

0|1
    0|0
  • Holy hell no, just leave it alone and wait, damn.

0|1
    0|0
  • Thank god im in Australia.

0|1
    0|0
  • It should totally be 30 lmfao 😂

1|1
    0|0
  • Keep it the same

1|1
    0|0
  • Why not. Under 21 drinks anyways.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 22

• Mind as well lower it into 18. Once you hit college you are going to start drinking. Hell, you probably already started in high school! I know how easy it is to obtain alcohol and drugs my age. Do a favor for the country and let 18 years old do what they want to do and learn the consequences whether they binge drink or not.

0|1
    0|0
  • No they shouldn't. It is set at 21 because that is the age our brains stop developing. Also it really isn't so hard to find a friendly "bodega" that will sell you some even if you are under 21. If not you can wait next to the store and ask someone to buy it for you. Also this is what birthed the culture of house parties in the US, which I really miss from my high school years. Sooooo much fun we had. Good old days.

0|1
    0|0
  • Keep it at 21... I barely trust the 21 year olds of our generation to be responsible with drinking, so there's no way I'd trust an 18 year old to be allowed to make those sorts of choices.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is there any evidence to support the idea that lowering the drinking age would reduce binge drinking? No, probably not.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it matters in my opinion. Alcohol and other drugs are incredibly easy to obtain.
    Keep it at 18 so the people with 0 friends and social skills under 21 can't obtain it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Makes no sense to me that you can vote on the fate of your country but can't drink at (usually) only affects yourself

2|1
    0|0
  • 21 is too low if you consider the brain (frontal lobe specifically) doesn’t fully develop until around 25

0|1
    0|0
  • It's kind of hypocritical to consider an 18-year old an adult for voting, criminal prosecution, and military service, but still a child concerning drinking. The drinking age should be 18. That being said, there should be punishment for accidents caused by 18-year old drunk drivers. Anyone who is drunk behind the wheel and kills somebody, their driver's license should be removed permanently. They're better suited for a bicycle. If they're caught continuing to drive without a license, then they're a menace to society, and need a long jail term. If you want to be an adult, then be an adult.

0|2
    0|0
  • There needs to be one age of majority at wich you can get high, smoke, drink, fuck, vote, own guns, join the military, rent a car, buy a house, whatever.

0|1
    0|0
  • It should be banned worldwide. Not placed at a minimum age to drink thereof.

By banning it altogether, you're making the statement that you're not going to allow a person to damage their body.

0|1
    0|0
  • Having served in the military, I think it's bullshit an 18 year old can sign up and risk his life but cannot legally drink. When I was in Afghanistan, I saw plenty of young men not old enough to drink go home in boxes.

If you look at European countries, a lot of them have lower drinking ages than the US. And I think their 16-21 crowds handle their alcohol better and not act like total retards when they are drunk.

At 18, we can legally smoke and damage our lungs that could potentially have a long lasting effect. Alcohol has the potential of damaging our livers and can have a long lasting effect.

I think in the end, it's all about teaching and learning to drink responsibly despite of anyone's age. You tell a kid not to do something, they are going to want to do it more. When they can legally move out and be on their own, you can't always be there to teach them how to drink responsibly or what drunk behavior is acceptable. Otherwise it's like Lord of the Flies.

0|1
    0|0
  • It was 18 in most states before 1984, and look they survived. Don't see all the kids in Canada commiting drunken mass suicide either lol

0|0
    0|0
  • The Belgian Parliament will discuss a bill rising the drinking age from 16 to 18.

0|1
    0|0
  • this is My take (see what I did) If you can serve in the military and carry a weapon, yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • with the number of alcohol related driving accidents, no, it should be much higher than 21

0|1
    0|0
  • No the legit age need to stay where it is.

0|1
    0|0
  • Increase the legal age to 25.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lower the drinking age to 18.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lower it to 18

0|1
    0|0
  • Hey kids would have to pay me to buy for them